Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mustangchristy77 Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

Jun 21, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Have Tachacardia prescribed stimulant
    I have tachycardia and I worked for a Phyciatrist. He was sure I have ADD/ADHD. I told him I had tachycardia. He first gave me Adderall which made me moody , raised my blood pressure and heart rate. I told him all of this and he ordered an EKG and changed me to Dexedrine. EKG came back saying I had tachycardia. Still months went by and I was still have the same mood problems, high blood pressure , etc. I again told him this and he recommended we increase the dose of Dexedrine from 20 mg. qday to 25 mg. qday. This past month I went into my family doctor for a sinus infection and he rushed me to have an EKG and when it showed my pulse rate at 140 he almost fainted. He told me that if my heart rate had been any higher I could have went into Cardiac Arythmia. He saw where my boss was giving me a stimulant and asked was he aware I had tachycardia. I said "Yes, he's the one that ordered the last EKG". He said that you are never supposed to give someone with Tachycardia or any heart problem a stimulant. I was floored. My boss never mentioned this before even after all the complaints and getting the results from the EKG he ordered. My boss was faxed the EKG report and my family doctor told him to discontinue the dextrine stat. I got my chart out the next day and sure enough he had noted on my evaluation that I had tachycardia and in more recent notes noted about the complaints of high bloodpressure , etc. However, a few days later my boss told me I never told him about any problems and he was discontinuing the dextrine. I got curious and again went and got my chart only this time my entire evaluation was missing along with both EKG reports! HELP!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Anyone who has a psychiatrist prescribe drugs for a heart condition is not thinking clearly. You should have sought the services of a cardiologist. Psychiatrists are trained medically before continuing their education. Please do not use your boss as your medical doctor if you have heart problems. Your blood pressure was probably extremely high also in addition to your pulse. Taking stimulants like that probably has weakened your heart. My mother had heart problems percipititated by taking dexi for a few years. She paid for her mistake having serious heat problems when she was 65 and older. She traced it back to the dexi she was taking so she could work 12 hour shifts and then go out at night on dates. It's almost like having a lumberjack prescribe medicine for you and not a heart doctor. Why would you do this is beyond me.

You boss basically screwed up heavily that's why your evaulation and EKG's are mysteriously missing. You could probably sue him for this if you had/have a heart attack in the near future. Don't be surprised if you mysteriously don't have a job soon either. He is trying to "cover his tracks" as quickly as he can while he still can.
    hobbsa1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Wow this sounds like a mess, unfortunately I really can't give you any advice at this time. This sounds like not only is your boss hurting your health, but you may need some legal advice/or take legal action for malpractice. I would talk to a lawyer ASAP about this whole thing. Best of luck , I hope it all gets worked out!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    Anyone who has a psychiatrist prescribe drugs for a heart condition is not thinking clearly. You should have sought the services of a cardiologist. Psychiatrists are trained medically before continuing their education. Please do not use your boss as your medical doctor if you have heart problems. Your blood pressure was probably extremely high also in addition to your pulse. Taking stimulants like that probably has weakened your heart. My mother had heart problems percipititated by taking dexi for a few years. She paid for her mistake having serious heat problems when she was 65 and older. She traced it back to the dexi she was taking so she could work 12 hour shifts and then go out at night on dates. It's almost like having a lumberjack prescribe medicine for you and not a heart doctor. Why would you do this is beyond me.

You boss basically screwed up heavily that's why your evaulation and EKG's are mysteriously missing. You could probably sue him for this if you had/have a heart attack in the near future. Don't be surprised if you mysteriously don't have a job soon either. He is trying to "cover his tracks" as quickly as he can while he still can.

I would also be curious about what the OP's position in the Psychiatrist's office is - what medical knowledge OP had.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 06:53 PM
    If you knew it was wrong in the first place, you should not have been taking it, and should have went to your regular doctor to get a 2nd opinion when you thought it was in error.

And it is obvous your boss is concerned you will sue him so he destroyed all of the evidence. Sounds like a dishonest boss and time to find a new job
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 06:57 PM
    Wow, what a tangled web we weave.

Now, the psychiatrist should NOT have been prescribing medication for a heart condition. This is something you see a cardiologist about, not a psychiatrist.

Now, again, you went and got your chart. This is a violation of HIPAA. I'm not saying that you did not have every right to look, but it is a violation nonetheless.

Do you have any permanent injuries from this?

I also need to know who did the EKGs? Was it the psychiatrist or an outside facility. If it was an outside facility there are still records and you should check with them.

Jun 22, 2008, 06:28 AM

I did not know a doctor was not supposed to give someone with tachacardia a stimulant. I trusted that he knew what he was doing. I found out recently that he had everyone working for him on a stimulant of some sort and we basically came to the conculsion that he had us all on them so he would not have to hire additional office help. I also turned in my notice after this and my last day was the past Friday. I have the other office workers who can verify the he did in fact send me for the EKG and knew the results and evaluation where in my chart.

Jun 22, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Wow, what a tangled web we weave.

Now, the psychiatrist should NOT have been prescribing medication for a heart condition. This is something you see a cardiologist about, not a psychiatrist.

Now, again, you went and got your chart. This is a violation of HIPAA. I'm not saying that you did not have every right to look, but it is a violation nonetheless.

Do you have any permanent injuries from this?

I also need to know who did the EKGs? Was it the psychiatrist or an outside facility. If it was an outside facility there are still records and you should check with them.
    I was the only person working in the office at the time because he had fired the last remaining girl (there were 4 total) so I had to file my own EKG report in my chart and this was when I noticed the previous EKG report was missing along with my evaluation. My guess is he removed them when receiving the second EKG which was faxed to him by my family doctor. I did not return to work the day he received this fax. As far the first EKG that he ordered; it was done by an outside facility. I did not go to him for heart medication. He was convinced I had ADD/ADHD and prescribed me dexedrine knowing I had tachacardia. If I had know a doctor was not supposed to do when a patient had a heart condition I would have never taken the medication but I trusted him to know what he was doing.

Jun 22, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    If you knew it was wrong in the first place, you should not have been taking it, and should have went to your regular doctor to get a 2nd opinion when you thought it was in error.

And it is obvous your boss is concerned you will sue him so he destroyed all of the evidence. Sounds like a dishonest boss and time to find a new job
    I did not know it was wrong until I saw my family doctor. Oh, and I don't have the job anymore. My last day was the past Friday. He started treating me so bad that I had to give my notice and then heard from a previous employee that he wanted me gone and to never hear from me again.

Jun 22, 2008, 06:42 AM

I did not see him for heart medication. In fact, my tachacardia was not bad enough at the time for the need to take medication for it. My boss was convinced I had ADD/ADHD and prescribed the dexedrine. I also no longer work there because he started treating me so bad that I gave my notice. My last day was the past Friday. Also, I did not know a doctor was not supposed to prescribe a stimulant to someone with tachacardia until I saw my family doctor. Otherwise, I would have never taken the dexedrine.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2008, 07:38 AM
    I am glad that you quit this job. Sometimes people can be convinced of things when the other person is an authority figure and they tend to listen to them whether they are correct or not. I sincerely hope that you do not have any adverse problems in the future from taking the dexi. You correctly deduced his reason for prescribing the dexi as he was too cheap to pay all the office help. There are some dishonest employers out there and unfortunately you met one.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 22, 2008, 08:12 AM
    I am very glad you quit this job. I do see now why you had access to your records.

I do want to ask, has this doctor been reported to the proper authorities? If not, do you have enough proof to do so?

If what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, this man should be stripped of his license. If he is doing this to his employees, can you imagine what he might be doing to his patients.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Hello mustang:

I'm glad you quit your job. I'm glad you got the right medical help. Now you need the right legal help.

I would visit several medical malpractice attorneys in your area. Shop around until you feel comfortable with someone. Then hire him and let him do his stuff. By the way, you ought to be able to hire a lawyer on a contingency basis. That means you won't have to pay him unless he wins.

excon

Jun 24, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    I am very glad you quit this job. I do see now why you had access to your records.

I do want to ask, has this doctor been reported to the proper authorities? If not, do you have enough proof to do so?

If what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, this man should be stripped of his license. If he is doing this to his employees, can you imagine what he might be doing to his patients.
    I know while I was there of at least four patients who have died. All were patients he had prescribed stimulants. I also know of one patient who he gave Adderall to take four tablets four times per day. This patient did as she was told and ended up in the E.R. with what she thought was a heart attack. She called us to verify that she had the correct dosing instructions. Myself and the other receptionist pulled her chart and upon reviewing the carbon copy of the prescription she did in fact have the correct instructions. The doctor did not know we had already answered the patients question and when he was asked the same question he stated, "I never prescribed her to take that much Adderall". :eek: We caught him red handed and then again... that chart was never to be seen again.:confused:

Jun 24, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello mustang:

I'm glad you quit your job. I'm glad you got the right medical help. Now you need the right legal help.

I would visit several medical malpractice attorneys in your area. Shop around until you feel comfortable with someone. Then hire him and let him do his stuff. By the way, you ought to be able to hire a lawyer on a contingency basis. That means you won't have to pay him unless he wins.

excon
    My husband and I are considering hiring a lawyer.. just not sure which one to trust.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangchristy77
    My husband and I are considering hiring a lawyer..just not sure which one to trust.

I don't know why you would feel you can't trust a Lawyer - ?

I am also somewhat concerned that the Psychiatrist prescribed stimulants to other employees (which you've posted before); prescribed stimulants to 4 other patients "who died," the implication being that the stimulants had something to do with their deaths; people were hospitalized, you knew there were medical errors, the chart disappeared, you did nothing (and I don't know your legal duty in this case); your employer prescribed stimulants to you and, knowing this history, you took them -

Someone looks into those deaths and they will also be looking at you - I wouldn't post all of this on a public board if I were you -

Stick with what happened to you or someone is going to trace you backwards and you are going to be involved in a very messy investigation and possible lawsuit.

I recently found out that Attorneys are scanning this board and e-mailing/soliciting posters; you have no way of knowing who else is reading so I don't think I would incriminate myself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puzzled about Prilosec being a possible appetite stimulant? [ 3 Answers ]

I know there are people that have more important and serious questions, but I am puzzled. A few months ago, I lost my appetite. That is no small feat for me. I am a big woman and I enjoy my food. All I was able to eat was a piece of toast in the morning, and that was only to keep my strength up so...

Stimulant Check amount [ 7 Answers ]

How is the amount of stimulant check determine?

About stimulant tax [ 4 Answers ]

How do I get another paper from social security saying what received this year. So I can file for stimulant tax.

Prescribed meds [ 3 Answers ]

HI I have been taking xannax for years and I got pregnant and quit... well I had a really bad experience about 3 days ago and took a half of 1 mg pill.. now I am very concerned about how long this will stay in mine and the baby's system, from all the dcf horror storys I've been hearing. I know I...

Can my headache be from my prescribed decongestant [ 1 Answers ]

I have the decongestent DuraphenII prescribed to me and one of the side effects is headaches. Well I have had a headache for three days could it be that medicine and will it quit?:(

View more questions Search