Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    westbridge1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 04:06 PM
    Transfer Local Folders (Outlook Express 6) from old computer to new one?
    I'm buying a new computer next week. I use Outlook Express 6.0 as my primary email and I was wondering if there was a way to transfer my Local Folders to the new machine. I segregate all my retained mail to specific folders and hope I don't end up having to print hard copy of messages I want to save because I can't port the folders to the new machine.
    Thanks for any input.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 07:48 PM
    1. First copy the Outlook Express folder from the source computer by this method using a floppy or USB drive:
      • On that computer click START > SEARCH and in the file-name box enter OUTLOOK EXPRESS
      • In the SEARCH window, go to VIEW > DETAILS to properly see the results
      • Find the OUTLOOK EXPRESS folder that is buried in a directory with a long name like this: "c:\documents & settings\username\local settings\application data\identities\(long_string_of_characters)\micros oft"
      • Right Click on that folder and select SEND TO and then select your moveable media, floppy, USB Drive, etc.
    2. You can either merge this to your other computer by jumping to 4. below or you can create a separate mail box folder such as TransferIN and TransferSENT to keep these files isolated from your current Inbox and Sent folders. To create the isolated folders:
      • Open Outlook Express in the destination computer and right click on LOCAL FOLDERS in the directory list on the left (If not in view, goto VIEW > LAYOUT > FOLDER LIST). In the right click menu, select NEW FOLDER and enter a folder name such as TransferIN. Create another folder named TransferSENT.
      • CRITICAL point: In Outlook Express you must now double click on these two new mail folders to activate them. Click on TransferIN until it opens and shows "no items.." and then TransferSENT until it opens. THIS IS A MUST.
      • Goto START > MY COMPUTER. Click on the floppy or USB drive containing your copied folder. Right click on INBOX.dbx and select RENAME. Change the name of that file to TransferIN.dbx (must have the extension and exact spelling previously used). Do the same with SENT ITEMS.dbx and rename to TransferSENT.dbx.
    3. Transfer by going to FILE > IMPORT > MESSAGES. Select your version of OE (you can go back to your source computer and open OE there, go to HELP > ABOUT to identify the version).
      • Select "IMPORT MAIL FROM AN OE6 STORE DIRECTORY" click OK
      • Click BROWSE and find your floppy/USB drive and click the + sign to its left; then select OUTLOOK EXPRESS > OK
      • Click NEXT > SELECTED FOLDERS
      • Highlight TransferIN and then hold down the CTRL Key and highlight TransferSENT. Release and both these files MUST BE highlighted!
      • With both highlighted, click NEXT and those two folders will transfer the emails to your destination computer and into those mailboxes by that name.
    4. NOTE: If you just want to merge the transferred emails into your existing INBOX and SENT ITEMS folders, skip step 2 above and follow the instructions in Step 3 above except in 3(d) select the files INBOX.db and SENT ITEMS.dbx since you haven't changed them.

Best of luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I import old Outlook Express files onto new Vista Computer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new computer and would like to import old email files and my address book from Outlook Express onto Microsoft Email. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Jean

Outlook Express Folders Backup [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have created many folder and 'message rules' to automatically sort my incoming mail. Since it took me many hours to do this I would like to know if its possible to back all this configuration up? Cheers, Navarre

How to backup Outlook Express email folders and settings [ 2 Answers ]

I want to reinstall Windows Xp soon, as I got a virus and after cleaning the computer doesn't work as smooth as before. I gives some strange erros and sometimes it justs hangs up... I want to backup Outlook Express emails and settings before reinstall, and restore afterwards. Any help?:confused:

Urgent Help! How To Transfer My Outlook Express Containing My Emails From Old Pc [ 16 Answers ]

HELP PLEASE URGENT! Tomorrow I am purchasing my first Apple Mac Mini. I would appreciate very easy instructions, if possible, on what I need to do, how can I transfer all of my emails that I have in my Outlook Express, which has emails via my provider, to the new Mac Mini I am getting?? Is it very...

View more questions Search