Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nwmom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 08:19 AM
    I am an authorized user on a credit card - primary passed away
    I am an authorized user on a couple of credit cards that my mother in law took out. She recently passed away, am I responsible for the debt? I was paying on them and with the economy going the way it has, I haven't been able to continue to pay. Also, my mother in law had no will or estate. She was disabled and very poor. She didn't even own a house or have any assets.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Have you used the card since she passed away. How much of the card did you purchase ?

Have you informed them she has died, send a copy of the death certificate and inform them there was no money to pay the debts.
    nwmom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmom
    I am an authorized user on a couple of credit cards that my mother in law took out. She recently passed away, am I responsible for the debt? I was paying on them and with the economy going the way it has, I haven't been able to continue to pay. Also, my mother in law had no will or estate. She was disabled and very poor. She didn't even own a house or have any assets.
    Any purchases I made on the card were done long before she passed away. Since I have not been able to pay on them, the two went to a collection agency. I have told one collection agency that she had passed away. The other I have not. (She passed away in late May).
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2008, 12:26 PM
    If you are only an authorized user and not a co-signer you are not legaly responsible, they probably are going to try with you anyway and report the account as charge off in your credit report if they have your social security number.

Carl.-

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Authorized User of Credit Card Account of Deceased - what now? [ 3 Answers ]

Unusual situation perhaps... I am the authorized user on a number of US credit card accounts on which my father was primary cardholder. My father recently passed away overseas (as a dual citizen of US and the country in which he died) and his estate is being handled by the court of the European...

Removing ex-wife from credit card who is a primary holder [ 3 Answers ]

I divorced my wife 7 years ago, but have been using joint credit cards which was opened while we were married. Ex-wife is the primary credit card holder and has never used the card since the divorce. I have been using the card for the past 5 years after the divorce and she is now asking to have...

Death of Primary Cardholder - Continued use by authorized user [ 1 Answers ]

My father died and was primary cardholder of a credit card. My mother was an authorized user on the account. Can she legally continue to use the credit card as long as she continues to make payments? Can she call company and move herself into position as primary cardholder? She's mostly...

Credit card authorized user [ 6 Answers ]

Hello people, I am new here but, I wanted advise from some experts on my problem. I wanted to know if I could be sued or held responsible for a debt as a Authorized user on a credit card account in Ontario Canada. I searched this site but haven't been able to find my exact circumstances. The...

Credit card authorized user [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , I have a credit card issued by (Washington Mutual bank) from almost 3 years ago.. and I added my wife as an authorized user immediately after I received the card... after one year Citi bank sent us two new credit cards cause the old one has been expired so I knew that Washington mutual bank...

View more questions Search