-valve adjustment
    -new battery
    -spark plugs +wires
    -new distributor

There is no engine light , no cel

I replaced ECu to check if that's a problem but nothing

My friend idea :

Originally Posted by Just of Spades
    I bought my old tempo beater for $500 with a blown HG. I could drive around for 15 minutes or so, and once up to temp(thermostat opened)... it just died. Large enough gulp of anti-freeze and it stalled.

It would take AT LEAST 24 hours before it would restart. Trying to restart it before that time would not increase the time... in other words, the clock wouldn't restart.

The issue started with bucking and hesitation... when the previous owner(a friend) had the car diagnosed(by another friend). Once the gasket got bad enough... it mimicked pawels civic.

Thoughts?

That's exactly what is happening with my car but coolant is green , and oil is clean as well
    , car doesn't over heat as well

I just checked

- main relay

And IT works

I was thinking about EGR but I can't find it on my car

PLEASE HELP

:(
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Try the solenoid or the coil. My old Cavalier would do almost the same thing and my mechanic could not figure out the problem until the coil actually finally failed.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 06:10 PM
    It would have been helpful to know the make, year, and engine. Before you do anything else, try resetting the ECM and see if the problem goes away. Pull the BACKUP fuse in the under-hood fuse box, or disconnect the negative battery cable, for 10 seconds.

If your car is a Honda (depending on year), I would replace the main relay, Ignition Control Module (ICM), and coil. These are all heat-sensitive, problematic components. Ensure the back of the ICM is coated with a thin, even coat of heat transfer silicone grease. I normally recommend these items be replaced every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

If the problem persists, focus on the distributor housing. We have had many problems with aftermarket distributors. I only recommend genuine Honda distributor housings.
    PAWLOOO Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 05:34 AM
    I'm sorry

Its 98 Honda Civic 4 door EX single cam engine

I tried reseting ECU

I replaced ECU and Main relay ( if that's the one on the side of glow box,on the right side,) and nothing changed

I have engine light on for 2 sec before I turn the car on

Previous owner replaced distributor coils... due this problem

Should I do it again

I will try replace fuel filter

How do I know my fuel pump is OK?

What about EGR? I can't even find it on my car

Please help
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2008, 05:42 AM
    I have never seen a bad Honda fuel pump, even though many people suspect and replace them. If you can hear the fuel pump in the gas tank run, when you turn the ignition key to ON, it's likely okay.

I would have the Ignition Control Module and coil tested or replaced. Here's how to do it yourself:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

AutoZone and O'Reilly Auto Parts can test ICMs for free.

Did you install an aftermarket distributor?

Are any codes ever thrown?

Jun 22, 2008, 05:56 AM
    No codes / no engine lights

I can't drive this car due this issue so I can't go to the store to test anything :(

Previous owner replaced distributor ( its brand new but I don't know if that's OEM one )

So should I replace distributor one more time?

Jun 22, 2008, 05:59 AM
    I also have 97 civic 2 door coupe DX so I'm trying to replace what I can to find a problem
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2008, 06:01 AM
    Not yet. I'm inclined to suspect your ICM and/or coil are breaking down, when they heat up. Hondas are notorious for having problems with these components. Make sure you to use the heat-transfer silicone grease on the back of the ICM; otherwise, it won't last long.

Jun 22, 2008, 05:16 PM
    FIXED! :)

It was Ignition Control Module

THANKS A LOT GUYS
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2008, 07:10 PM
    Good job! Your Civic should be in good shape, with all of the work you have done on it. Here are some recommended maintenance items that will help you keep it on the road for a long time:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219991
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2008, 04:05 AM
    Yipes, you threw a lot of $ at it. Don't you hate these problems.

I worked on an 87 Plymouth Caravelle. Very nice car BTW. You'd be driving and suddenly, it would stop. It had the blinky check engine light and some proprietary method for interrogating the ECM. In about 10 min after it stopped, it would start back up again. Eventually, I was able to discover that their was no spark.

Well, it was a tough nut to crack. Turns out it was a bad pickup in the distributer.

I had another problem in an 82 Celica (carburated) that drove me nuts too:

Symptoms:

Car intentionally turned off after it reached operating temperature.
    Car sat for 15-30 min. Longer or shorter, generally no problem.
    When car was re-started in this period, I would have extremely low idle.

Turns out that there was a solenoid that was mounted on the valve cover which got too hot. It was a normally open valve which turned on full vacuum to the EGR valve when the ignition was off to prevent dieseling. That valve stuck. Talk about fun.

My father had a 1968 car that would not go up steep hills. You could go around the hil with no problems. Check valve popped out of fuel pump.

Then I had a really strange problem with my high school car. Bought as a wreck for $50 when I was 15. My dad's friend slammed it into a tree when he was drunk and didn't want to tell insurance company. It was a 65 Ford Galaxy 500, 6 cyl.

When I was done with that vehicle, I got 18-19 mpg which wasn't very common at the time. It didn't take much to achieve that either.

1. Added a retrofit optoelectronic ignition system.
    2. Better wires - had too.
    3. Had head re-done
    4. Ported intake manifold. I took a rotary file on all off the intake passages in the intake manifold and made it smooth rather than rough. I did the while the head was being done.

It made all the difference in the world.

I had problems on it's first maiden voyage (mods were not done yet) where it had lots of acceleration problems. The rubber hose at the fuel tank was slit facing up. That was just nuts too.

Yep, got car experiences too such as:
    1. rack and pinion replacement
    2. carb rebuilds (120+ parts)
    3. gas tank drop
    4. replace rear wheel bearings (rear wheel drive)
    5. brakes
    6. Universal joints
    7. added AC from a big box of parts.
    8. Wheel cylinders (replace and rebuid)
    9. Master cylinders (replace and rebuid)
    10. Tune-up w/ valve adjust

Right now, just don't seem to have the time for it. Most of the time it was very relaxing.

Jun 23, 2008, 04:11 AM
    ONLY 2 isuues left ;)

- central lock not working
    - rear L door window doesn't work

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating turns itself off before reaching desired temp [ 9 Answers ]

Background: I have an older Trane furnace (manufactured 8/1994) made by American Furnace Inc. (The Trane Company, Trenton, NJ) model TUJ080A936A0. The module controller is by White-Rodgers Emerson Electric Co. Model 50A52-101. There is no gas pilot light. Problem: Recently, my gas valve will...

Furnace not reaching target temp [ 12 Answers ]

My furnace never reaches the target temperature on the thermostat. Even if I increase the temp on the thermostat, the temperature is never met. The current temp is set for 74 degrees, it was 62 this morning? The furnace is a Goodman, the thermostat is digital. I just replaced the thermostat...

Heat not kicking on until the temp dips below 64 degrees, target temp set to 72 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, This is my first time posting here, but I figured it was a good place to start for some advice. I just bought a new townhouse a few weeks ago and have been having some heating issues since moving in. The actual furnace (Goodman GMS 8045) was installed in June of '06 while the unit was...

Heating unit not reaching room temp [ 1 Answers ]

My heating unit doesn't generate enough heat. Everything comes on but stops running before reaching room temperature. I've turned on and off the wall-thermostat and it works. Is this a sign that the wall-thermostat is going bad or went bad on me?

Carier furnace shuts off before reaching temp [ 2 Answers ]

I have a carier weathermaker furnace that shuts off before reaching temp. any idea what could be the problem.

View more questions Search