Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rninca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 01:17 AM
    Terminated while on Disability
    I have an off-the-job knee injury that occurred 10/07. I have been on State disability and I have a short-term disability policy that has been paying me also.
    I had my 1st surgery in Dec and a 2nd in Feb, Meniscus surgery then ACL surgery respectively.
    I had a follow up appt. with the surgeon on Thursday, he said, all I ask is are you getting better, I replied yes. I am a RN. I related to him, I still feel unsteady going downstairs, and daily my ability to go upstairs is improving. He said, let me know when you feel OK to go back to work, see you in August.
    I sent in the info to my hospital employer. My Nurse Manager said, return to work by June 30 or your position will be terminated. They had said that I can be terminated, and re-apply when I am well. I shared the only reason I am not back, is because I don't feel comfortable wheeling patients down a ramp, and I know I can't return without 'restrictions'.
    I was told my benefits would be good until the end of end J U N E!
    Can this really happen?
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Jun 21, 2008, 02:43 AM
    It depends on which State you are in... In Florida, a Co. is not legally required to keep your position available while one is disabled. No-one is allowed to terminate you for filing a claim, but they don't have to wait while you get better... insurance Co.s can afford higher paid lobbiy's than you or I...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 07:40 AM
    Yes, if this was a work related injury they could not, but since this is not a work related injury there are some restrictions, did you apply for leave though FMLA. If you worked there long enough to qualify and requested it according to their procedures.

But in general yes, they do not have to hold your position for you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rninca
    I have an off-the-job knee injury that occurred 10/07. I have been on State disability and I have a short-term disability policy that has been paying me also.
    I had my 1st surgery in Dec and a 2nd in Feb, Meniscus surgery then ACL surgery respectively.
    I had a follow up appt. with the surgeon on thursday, he said, all I ask is are you getting better, I replied yes. I am a RN. I related to him, I still feel unsteady going downstairs, and daily my ability to go upstairs is improving. He said, let me know when you feel ok to go back to work, see you in August.
    I sent in the info to my hospital employer. My Nurse Manager said, return to work by June 30 or your position will be terminated. They had said that I can be terminated, and re-apply when I am well. I shared the only reason I am not back, is because I don't feel comfortable wheeling patients down a ramp, and I know I can't return without 'restrictions'.
    I was told my benefits would be good until the end of end J U N E!
    Can this really happen?

Is there a policy/procedures manual? I am aware of a very large company which has a policy that after 10 months you either come back to work or you're terminated - and the policy has held despite several Court challenges.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I file for s.s. Disability when I have private long-term disability insurance? [ 1 Answers ]

I will shortly begin collecting private long-term diability insurance to the tune of 60% of my former salary. Can I still apply for social security disability? If I do, would either or both of these be decreased?

Terminated at 59 years of age [ 4 Answers ]

I own 40% of a small company in Kansas. I was fired with no warning and no severance with "for the good of the company" as his reason. I was with the company for 34 years and held the vice presidency for 25 years without a single infraction or wrong doing. The president brought in his son to...

I believe I was wrongfully terminated [ 2 Answers ]

I worked for this company for 4 months and I was never written up or verbally warned until one day I was told that she didn't believe I was capable of doing my job and that I didn't want to be there. I was never told that I was let go or fired, I just asked if I am finishing out my schedule the...

Got wrongfully terminated can I do anything? [ 7 Answers ]

I had been working at a company almost a year, after seven months I was promoted one week after that my immediate supervisor was terminated. They never replaced my boss (they were "trying") so I was all alone with no one to train me I literately had to learn on my own, I worked at a high end car...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search