Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 03:46 AM
    If there was to be any pattern then I think that December 12, 2112 at 21:12 would be better suited;)?
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    I get it, but how does that make more sense?
    Because 11:11 doesn't fit in with the 12/21/12 "theme"?

If I were making up stuff about the end the world, I'd make it 12/12/12 at 12:12:12. But that's just me. :)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab

If I were making up stuff about the end the world, I'd make it 12/12/12 at 12:12:12. But that's just me. :)
    Of course when the Mayans were developing their calendar, which presumably "ends" in what in the modern era we call the year 2012 (and is the basis of all this nonsense about the end of the world), they knew nothing about how our calendar works with its 12 months per year, or 24 hours in a day, or 60 minutes in an hour. So the concepts of 12/12/12 and 12:12:12 would have meant nothing to them.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 07:46 AM
    I guess it was the end of the world for habeebee.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab

My point is that it's like saying that eating a rock that's shaped like a carrot makes more sense than eating a normal rock.
    jrwild62 Posts: 111, Reputation: 2
    -

Sep 10, 2008, 08:31 AM
    I'd rather you explain why 12:21 makes more sense.
    That would make it 12-21-12 at 12:21.
    See how all the 12's and 21's match up. It's almost binary code like.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 09:55 AM
    My point is that it's like saying that eating a rock that's shaped like a carrot makes more sense than eating a normal rock.
    I agree, it doesn't make "sense" (the whole world ending thing doesn't make "sense"), but it's more... entertaining when the numbers all match up.

Boy, no fun and games in this thread! :p
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 10:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwild62
    That would make it 12-21-12 at 12:21.
    See how all the 12's and 21's match up. It's almost binary code like.
    And why does the universe care that we use 60 minute hours and 24 hour days? How does that even start to make sense?
    jrwild62 Posts: 111, Reputation: 2
    -

Sep 10, 2008, 11:27 AM
    And why does the universe care that we use 60 minute hours and 24 hour days? How does that even start to make sense?
    Because of the rotation of our planet. We have 24 hour days and 365.33333> long years.
    I have a question for you,, Mr. Science expert. How many days does it take the Earth to make a complete revolution around the sun? Has nothing to do with leap years. And,, GO.
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwild62
    Because of the rotation of our planet. We have 24 hour days and 365.33333> long years.
    I have a question for you,,, Mr. Science expert. How many days does it take the Earth to make a complete revolution around the sun? Has nothing to do with leap years. And,,, GO.
    A sidereal year is 365.2564 days long, since you didn't specify which kind of year we are measuring, I'll assume you meant sidereal.

Now a question for you. What about the rotation of the planet splits our days up into 24 hours? Why are hours split up into 60 minutes? (this is what I asked you before.. )
    sunnygirl16 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 02:12 PM

I really don't think the world would end don't you think if this was true they would warn people? And don't you think there would a count down or something? I have seen a lot of books and all of them never say the world will end.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 22, 2009, 06:52 AM
    Hello sunnygirl16

Based on the astronomic data I neither think the world will end on December 21, 2012 at 11:11 Am, and I am prepared to purchase property for a fair price for both parties involved, paid in advance, with changing property rights at December 21, 2012 at 11:11 Am precisely. So let me know if you are interested to sell.

Consider what may be meant with "the world would end" : the complete disappearance of planet earth is most unlikely.
    A huge collision with an asteroid than for planet earth? The astronomical data say no to that.
    A smaller collision with big extinctions of life on earth? Again : most unlikely.
    Extinction of human life and mayor other life forms than? Present available data say otherwise.

As long as there is no system in place that allows to protect planet earth from major asteroid impact there always is a chance that there will come extinctions similar to what happened in the past.

Every 64 Million years we may expect an impact on earth resulting from the consequences and influences resulting from the solar system dipping through the galaxy disk, and on a different time scale from the solar system jumping galaxy arms.

As to warning people for impacts : I fear that that would have great influence on human (dis)behavior, with major social upheaval for months on end, and times during which the worst in people' conduct would surface.
    So that's no good idea : if we can not protect earth, than only warn people as late as possible (days instead of weeks or months in advance).

As to all these predictions : Nostradamus, The Mayan Calender, Edgar Casey, Albert Einsteins Bee Disapearance Statement, The Bible, etc. etc. etc. : most of us love some mysteries and mystic.
    But that does not provide any validity to all these "the world will end" claims.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Mar 22, 2009, 07:04 PM

Personally, I like Cecil Adam's cut on Nostradamus. The Straight Dope: Was Nostradamus really able to predict the future?

Come to think of it, why is this question under the "Astronomy" section??
    -

Mar 23, 2009, 06:00 AM
    Hello FlyYakker

Cecil Adams post is spot on. Post hundreds of vague predictions and some of them are sure to fit more or less some event in the future. Even if people have to bend over backwards to fit a prediction to an event.
    Many people simply will do anything to believe predictions.

As to astrology questions on this board : I have asked that same question many times here. It may be related to the link many people draw between scientific astronomy and paranormal astrology. Even early astronomers often combined these 2 fields to allow them to butter their daily bread!
    the_retaliator Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 26, 2009, 09:03 PM
    According to the mayan calender it actually means the end of an age, we are in the age of pisces at the moment (our solestiar rotation within the galaxy or some such), after this date we will be within the age of aquarius, mayan translation was end of Age, not end of Days, research it..

As for propechys, there are a lot of stupid things flying around the internet of "what will happen".. try Google and see which makes you laugh the most.

Here are but a few... :rolleyes:

-1) End of the world

-2) our evolutionary step

-3) aliens making their presence known (in none violent ways)

-4) aliens conquering the planet and using us for their... deeds

-5) return of the mesiah, jesus christ

-6) same as 1) only via catastrophies such as..
    --a) Pol Axis flipping creating a new ice age (also known as the real reason for global warming - cough)..
    --b) mega hurricane\tidal waves..
    --c) all the good stuff you see in today's hollywood epics

-7) world war III

-8) the big bang experiment creates a blackhole after testing and swallows the earth -(farely new one!)

-9) Meteorite\Asteroid colliding with our planet..

10) Nothing atall..

Its only 2009, so I'm sure plenty of crazy new ideas will surface before the time comes :cool: - perhaps Reality TV will bore us all to death? :D

Oh, this is also my first post, and perhaps my last, so I would just like to say, Hi, hope this was interesting\entertaining, and Good Luck for 2012!

<insert evil maniacal laugh here> ;)
    -

Mar 27, 2009, 02:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by the_retaliator
    Oh, this is also my first post, and perhaps my last, so i would just like to say, Hi, hope this was interesting\entertaining, and Good Luck for 2012!
    There is nothing to retaliate against ! So no worry but welcome !
    Lightning55 Posts: 97, Reputation: 7

May 27, 2009, 05:28 PM

I'm guessing something will happen. So far as I know, it may be the beginning of an age where development comes so rapidly it can no longer be predicted.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

May 28, 2009, 04:51 PM

These type predictions tend to be based on misinterpretations and fabrications by people who WANT them to predict something - not on any facts. Why such people want to mess with other people's minds is the only mystery here.
    wtgagag Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 28, 2009, 01:17 AM
    Actually we're all just being fooled by mayans.they're setting us up for some prank

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Will the world end in 2012 [ 17 Answers ]

So I was watching a show today and they were talking about the Mayan calendar and how it ends in 2012. It stated that when the calender ends the world would end. They even gave the that of Dec 22 2012. It goes on to say that The Mayan people were genuises. They knew what would happen on the sun...

Ancient mayan calendar end date in 2012 [ 57 Answers ]

During the last year I kept stumbling upon information regarding 2012, more specifically the 21st of December 2012 (12/21/12) and have become very interested in what the ancient Mayans knew surrounding this upcoming event for Earth and the Uinverse and the Universal beings here awaiting this event....

Mayans say 2012 is end of world [ 16 Answers ]

I dotn know the full story but does anyone believe this? I find it scary They said December 21 2012 the world was going to end... let's discuss this ^.^

2012 end of world [ 18 Answers ]

The maya had this belief that they could tell time using a 13 moon counting system and they said that time would end on 21 of December of 2012 now then if you believe this then please put down why you think this if you don't believe like me then put down how and why I think this is fasanating to...

View more questions Search