Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ftimko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2006, 05:37 PM
    8 mo. Beagle mix and bladder control problem
    I have and 8mo. Beagle mix. I got her from adopt-a-pet when she was about 6mo. She has been up and down with the potty training, but pretty much gets it as long as I keep her on her sched. I am going to try training to go to the door when she has to go out. She is a smart dog and picks things up fairly quick. She is really energetic, and sometimes gets too worked up and pee's especially when she see's someone other than myself. When I go to reprimand her, by giving her a stern no or bad dog, she just pee's more.

Is this a phase she'll grow out of, or is there something I can do to help her control her bladder?

Also, she eats almost anything and everything that is on the floor or close to her, but normally only when I'm not watching her. She'll look to see if I'm looking, and then decide if she's going to eat it or not. For example, she's eaten some ear plugs I have a couple times, and I've caught her before she could swallow other times. Since she eats a lot of random stuff, I notice blood in her stool occasionally. But it is not all the time. She is a smart dog and picks things up fairly quick. I feed her twice a day the recommended amount, and like I said she has a ton of energy, so I think I'm feeding her enough. Plus, she doesn't whine or beg for more food when she's done eating. Should I be worried?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2006, 07:25 PM
    There are a number of issues here. I don't like the blood in the stool. Could be minor injures from things she is eating, or could be serious. If you haven't talked to a vet about it, do so soon. Also the peeing. Often they outgrow it by that age. Could be an infection.

The only way to stop them from eating things like the ear plugs is to keep things like that off the floor. If she is stealing off the table or counter, that is more difficult, but I can help if you ask.

The peeing could be excitement or submission. Either way reprimanding her won't help. One thing is to keep her drained. If you are expecting people, or plan a period of play, take her out first and let her relieve herself. With the weather improving, perhaps you can play outside more. Build her self confidence. One way is to play tug of war, and lose. However, when the game is over, the top dog keeps the rope or other toy.

The other thing is obedience training. Your praise as she succeeds learning her commands, will build her confidence. Having you playing the role of top dog will actually help her confidence. She can relax and let you take care stressful events. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete. Also see https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=22607

If she is satisfied with what you are feeding her, it may be too much. Recommended amounts are only a starting point. Each dog needs it food adjusted to amount it needs for its size and activity level. The only reliable guide is the dog's ribs. Here is a great illustration of how to maintain ideal body condition.

September 07, link to chart replaced with LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2006, 08:01 PM
    Oh, I forgot the part about training to go to the door. Since the rest of housebreaking is going well, I will only paste in that part of my method:

By the time most dogs are about 3 months old, they have figured out that if
    They go to the door and stand, you will let them out. The praise slowly shifts
    To going to the door. Some people hang a bell there for the dog to paw. If
    Your dog doesn't figure this out, try praising it and putting it out if it
    Even gets near the door.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bladder discomfort relieved by orgasm? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay so I have this quite embarrassing problem, but I'm feeling brave today so I'll ask about it. :o Not every night, but frequently, I have the urge to pee, and have to get up and pee several times within an hour or so. Not much pee comes out however, sometimes just a dribble and sometimes...

Single-Control Pull-Out Spray Kitchen Faucet problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a single control pull-out spray kitchen faucet, the kind that pulls out of the main faucet and is activated by pushing a rubber button on the top of the handle. The sprayer stays on until I turn off the water, then it reverts to a regular flow. Lately, however, it doesn't revert, and...

Harbour Breeze fan remote control problem [ 3 Answers ]

I was able to prove that my remote control problem is inside the fan, not the remote itself. I reset the dip switches and tried in on an identical fan and the remote works. I assume the problem is the transmitter inside the fan. Is this a customer replaceable part? If yes, where can I buy it?...

Mini Daschund Bladder Problems [ 2 Answers ]

My year old mini daschund has been holding his urine for long periods. When he does go he goes a lot. Sometimes he will start walking away while he is still peeing. He is also peeing unexpectedly when he never used too. Any suggestions?+

Bladder Stones [ 4 Answers ]

My Miniature Schnauzer has a bladder stone and is awaiting surgery (I have a popular vet with a tight schedule). I have been unable to reach him today and need to know if there is anything I can give her for pain from the spasms. She weighs 25 pounds. (I KNOW! She likes to eat!) If there is...

View more questions Search