Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reneer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Summary judgement
    Can a law firm that has bought a credit debt list put two different accounts on a summary judgement?

This company sent me a summons for an account that was paid in which I provided documentation. The attorney told me that case was settled and I was not told until I showed up for this hearing.

When I arrived for the hearing, I was given a different Credit Card Company and different account number, that I had no clue about. The mediator told me that what he had did not have my name or signature on it, This account started in 1996, and there was a payment made in March of 2003 by me. MMMM

How can this firm submit two different transaction in one summons and not give me the proper information? He could not give me the verification of this account that it was mine. This was like a bait and switch.

I have nothing on the new a/c number the attorney gave me, nor is it listed on my credit report ever...

The judge set this for trial, knowing I was not given the correct information?

Please give me any advice as to how I can clear this up prior to the trial which is Aug 1st

Thank You
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Send a letter, certified, return receipt requested, to the Attorneys office stating that you deny the debt, and that you are requesting validation of this debt.

Be sure to keep a copy of the letter, the certified receipt, and the green card that will be returned to you when they get the letter.

If they do not produce validation, simply take your evidence to the trial, show the judge that you requested validation, and that they never sent you the requested information.

There is always the chance that they will be able to prove the debt at the trial, and if they can, you will probably loose the case, but if they can't, and you produce this evidence, I believe the case will be dismissed without prejudice.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 20, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Not sure why the judge sent this for trial when the summons was for a different account. He should have seen they were on a fishing expedition.

But what you need to do now is send the plaintiff a letter requesting verification of the debt. Copy in the court. When they show up for the hearing without your signature on a contract ask that the case be dismissed without prejudice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summary Judgement [ 7 Answers ]

How much time do we have to respond to motion for summary Judgement?

Summary judgement [ 1 Answers ]

What happens after a summary judgement in az

What does a summary judgement against me mean in dollars? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Texas. In the past 15 years or so I've helped family and friends with cash using my credit cards. Most have never paid me back. I've switched the debt from card to card based on introductory rates and now owe many cards lots of money. I finally got to the point that I just quit paying...

Summary judgement [ 1 Answers ]

What types of property are real?property?. in a summary judgement in the county of wake in North Carolina from a credit card co.can they take my house? what does the judge typically order? Thank you

View more questions Search