Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parent25 Posts: 55, Reputation: 3

Jun 20, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Too late?
    Hi, I have always been in the medical field. I have about 5yrs medical office and billing. I am now 26yrs old. I have a 4mo old son, single parent, and want to have a "real career". I would like to stay in healthcare since that is what I know..

So, here is where I need help/ideas...

What career should I choose? I was thinking an RN but I don't know if I can afford school or childcare while I am at school... is it too late for me to think about being an RN?

I only have a high school diploma and a semester of community college.

Also, how about paremedics? How much do they make? What does it take to be a paremedic?

Any other healthcare suggestions besides these two? If so, what does it take to get there and how much am I looking to make?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 20, 2008, 06:02 PM
    If you want to be an RN, go for it!! I started back to school at the ripe old age of 38 and have just graduated with my ASN, and will begin working on my BSN soon. I am now an RN waiting on the results of my NCLEX exam.

Now, as far as affording it. If you live in the states there are grants that you may be eligible for. I am married and a mother of 4 and those grants got me all the way through school. There are also agencies who will help with daycare.

You may also be able to apply for scholarships, etc, to get you through school. I will tell you that I did not work a day while I was in school, and am loving the paycheck now. It's amazing how much an RN can make.

Jun 21, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Ok, well I have been looking and I am definitely going to go for nursing.. I figure I could be done with school be the time I'm 30 if all goes as planned. I will enroll in the community college here.

Also, how did you go to school without having to work? BILLS? RENT? CAR PYMT? Please let me know how I can do this too!
    Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by parent25
    Also, how did you go to school without having to work? BILLS? RENT? CAR PYMT? Please let me konw how i can do this too!
    My husband was the sole provider during my school days. He had a measly little paycheck, but we made due. You can also apply for student loans that will help with things such as that.

A community college is a great place to start. That is where I went and with the right grades became a member of Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society. Through them I am able to get full scholarships for my BSN and MSN. All Community Colleges have a chapter of PTK.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

Jul 2, 2008, 09:09 PM
    Oh I see. Well then that is no good to me. You didn't do it all alone then. Yes it was a measly little paycheck but you had a husband there to support you.

Me I am all alone. No husband to look after my child or pay bills while I am at school.

If it were that simple I would have done it a long time ago.

Sorry if this is coming off a bit abrasive and rude but I have been in the pits lately. I am working on myself to get out of it though.

And yes, I will continue to pursue school. Alone.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 09:18 PM
    Just wanted to mention, bang for the buck, pharmacy is one of the most lucrative fields, with new grads ofen making 80K... and there are lots of avenues to take. You don't need to be a "pill counter". It takes 6 years to get through, but having taught a number of "nontrad" students who went this route... it can be done. The only issue here is how strong you are in the sciences. Some get really caught up in the second year organic chem classes. It takes work.

Didn't mean to steer you from nursing. I have great respect for that field. Just wanted to mention a field where I've taught returning students who have had great success.

My cousin is a nurse and my aunt is a nurse and there's the ability to do so much in this field... it is, in my opinion, a career that is without limitations. You can push it as far as you want.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 09:21 PM
    Before you write off ANY plan, talk to lenders about loans.

You may be able to get low interest school loans that will cover the cost of tuition and living... don't put off education because you didn't crunch numbers and talk to lenders.

I taught single parents too... make people tell you it can't be done before you decide it can't be done.
    Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Girl, I would say that almost half of my graduating class were single mothers. They did it, you can too.

Like has been stated, look into student loans, you may be able to get scholarships, etc. They did it while working part time. There are, depending on your state, programs out there to help single parents get through school.

Don't be down in the dumps, does nothing for yourself esteem ;-).

You CAN do this, it just takes work and inginuity.

Jul 2, 2008, 09:45 PM
    Thanks guys. I am definitely looking into loans and grants. I have already registered with school last week.

Now I am in process of doing all the financial aid stuff.

Hard thing is definitely going to be working fulltime, being a fulltime parent, and a fulltime student. I am strong though and I will make it through somehow. (even through days when I'm down like today)

Thanks for advice.. hopefully someday I will be a woman's health nurse practitioner.. thats my ultimate goal.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 09:57 PM
    I promise you... I have taught students exactly in your place.

Seeing them graduate was bliss.

Nothing against the 22 year olds... but when a returning student, especially a parent, slogged, fought, and clawed their way to a better place, it was what teaching was all about.

We live in a great country of great opportunity. You don't have to worry about whether the water your child drinks will kill one out of 20 in the first five years of life. This is a reality for many in the developing world.

Now... I'm not saying its easy to sacrifice, especially with kids to care for... but really, the time can go so fast once you start it all going.

I'm glad you are seeking out your dream and glad you came here to talk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Late period(26 days late) negative HPT's [ 7 Answers ]

I was supposed to have my period about 26 days ago. I still haven't had it, and I have taken 3 HPT, they all came out negative. I've been feeling dizzy and REALLY REALLY tired all the time. I have body itches and headaches andi feel sick at night and in the mornings. I'm also urinating more than...

Can a landlord in NH assess late fees on a late fee carried over month to month? [ 2 Answers ]

My last lease said that on the 5th day a $5.00 fee is assessed and then $2 everyday there after. After I signed my last rent increase, at the time of last renewal I never received a new full lease agreement. Supposedly the amount of late fees went up without notification or signing of notification,...

Late Fees being charged even though I'm not late [ 9 Answers ]

My landlord uses a reale estate company to manage his property. In my lease it clearly states that your rent is late if payment is made 5 days after the due date (which makes it late after the 6th of each month). Can my landlord lawfully charge me a late fee for paying on the 6th day? And, they...

How late is too late? [ 1 Answers ]

I was supposed to get my period 5 days ago. I have breast tenderness and cramping. I also just received what I believe to be a false negaive. My only option is to see a doctor but I wanted to know if its possible. We all know it. I'm pretty in tune with my body and I feel different.

View more questions Search