Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I view hate speech in the same vein as yelling "Fire" in a crowded theatre. Rush falls into that category. "Intolerance towards conservatives"? If this website is any subset than the intolerance is towards anything liberal.
    Examples please. I've heard more than enough Rush to know what you guys consider "hate speech" is usually satire. Can't tell the difference? Don't have a sense of humor? I'm not intolerant toward liberals, NK, some of my best friends are liberals. Many liberal ideas have merit and there are plenty of fair-minded liberals. What I'm intolerant of is this penchant for the radical left to dismiss conservatives and conservatism completely and to ignore all evidence contrary to their claims.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    I'm not intolerant toward liberals, NK, some of my best friends are liberals.
    I doubt you have many liberal friends, I also doubt your claims of tolerance, my evidence is your history of posts here.
    What I'm intolerant of is this penchant for the radical left to dismiss conservatives and conservatism completely and to ignore all evidence contrary to their claims.
    That's odd since this board was quite free of political slandering of one party against another until you guys arrived.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again:

Let's look at Brokeback Mountain... First off, I didn't see it. Second off, it appears to be a love story about two gay cowboys.

You, and your right winged cohorts however, see something else. Maybe you can tell me why. Do you doubt there's homosexuality in the world? Do you doubt that some were cowboys? Should their story not be told? Is telling their story promoting homosexuality? Or is it just telling their story. Is a love story between a man and a woman promoting heterosexuality? Does a love story promote anything other than love?? I dunno. You tell me.
    Why didn't you pick the other two examples? Fine then, tell the story, that's what movies are for - but if you can't get the fact that the story is told to promote sympathy for gays then maybe you aren't as sharp as I thought, ex. If we would only abandon our prejudices then these two cowboys could have lived and loved out in the open without fear and gays would no longer be victims of intolerance. Maybe that's a message you approve of and that's fine, but it IS purposefully sending a message hoping to influence our culture. How can you deny that? It happens on both sides, Lord of the Rings, the Chronicles of Narnia, Juno, etc. but the liberal message is far more prevalent. It ain't just storytelling...
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 10:28 AM
    Every story has a message, ideas ,a subject. Yes some are created to provoke a reaction to teach as well as entertain. You don't think so ? Then why the rash of antiIraq war movies ? Do you think their sole purpose is to entertain or are they tugging at the emotions of the audience they are trying to influence?
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 10:28 AM
    What is The Hulk promoting?
    What agenda is Indiana Jones promoting?
    Can't wait to hear your ideas on Sex and The City.
    What about Get Smart? Does that have an underlying sinister message?
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    Then why the rash of antiIraq war movies ?
    Why aren't there any pro-Iraq war movies?
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 10:33 AM
    I doubt you have many liberal friends, I also doubt your claims of tolerance, my evidence is your history of posts here.
    You have no idea, NK. If you'd look you'd see that with most non-conservatives here we actually discuss things, not just butt heads. I've even agreed with you a number of times and I respect that. That's the difference, is their mutual respect or is it just intolerance? So far the most intolerance I've seen here is from one person... and it ain't me.

That's odd since this board was quite free of political slandering of one party against another until you guys arrived.
    Prove it.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 10:36 AM
    What about Get Smart? Does that have an underlying sinister message?
    I have no idea, but because all movies don't have an underlying message does that mean that none do?
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 10:37 AM
    I have no idea, but because all movies don't have an underlying message does that mean that none do?
    Sure man, you find the messages if you're really looking for them. Spend some time watching all those movies and dig out the nasty messages.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Sure man, you find the messages if you're really looking for them. Spend some time watching all those movies and dig out the nasty messages.
    It was a simple question, NK.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 10:44 AM
    but if you can't get the fact that the story is told to promote sympathy for gays then maybe you aren't as sharp as I thought, ex. If we would only abandon our prejudices then these two cowboys could have lived and loved out in the open without fear and gays would no longer be victims of intolerance. Maybe that's a message you approve of and that's fine, but it IS purposefully sending a message hoping to influence our culture. How can you deny that? It ain't just storytelling...
    Hello again, Steve:

I see no purpose other than to tell a love story. I see no message. I wasn't lying when I posed my question. Maybe I'm not as sharp as you thought.

But, like all good stories, it makes you think. If YOU drew, from the movie, a conclusion that abandoning our prejudices is a good idea, then that's an idea that sprung from your head. You may draw the conclusion that our prejudices should be even stronger to wipe out such behavior. That too, is a conclusion that you may derive from your own mind having seen the movie.

I maintain, however, that the makers of the movie were making a love story - nothing more.

excon, sharper than you think

PS> I wonder why it's only the right side of the spectrum that sees these hidden messages... I saw plenty of John Wayne movies. Was he sending me secret messages too?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Why aren't there any pro-Iraq war movies?
    Why aren't there any pro war movies?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 11:00 AM
    To say that there are not hidden messages and agendas in movies is a bit if a stretch, I think.

To say that Hollywood is responsible is a bit of a stretch too.

Hollywood is just a place, the hidden messages and agendas are from the people making and directing the movies.

Obviously someone, and I use the term loosely, like Michael Moore, is not trying to entertain us, while much of his crap is laughable, that was not his intention.

So I say everyone here is correct, not all movies are to entertain, and not all movies contain hidden messages or agendas.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Why aren't there any pro war movies?
    You're kidding, right? That's the only kind of war movies there were during and after WWII.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Hello:

When I read a newspaper or watch a TV newscast, I don't think I'm being lead. I think I'm being talked to. When I see a movie, I don't see someone trying to influence me. I see them trying to entertain me.

In my view, these two entities reflect society - they don't lead it.

Apparently, there are others of you who disagree. I see the media and Hollywood being blamed for all sorts of society's ills all the time, and on THESE pages too. I say what????? Clearly, there are those of you who feel as though Hollywood and/or the Media DOES influence your thinking and your activities.... And, they do so PURPOSEFULLY. I suspect you think there's a great left wing liberal conspiracy going on. Yes????

If so, please report. Come on, you can tell me.

excon
    Excon,
    Not sure about the political side of things.

As a mother,wife and just a concerned woman when it comes to young teens/adults- I do believe what they view does influence them in the wrong way unless it is accompanied by the right messages from an adult/parent.

I agree movies and TV programmes do show a lot of realities that exist in our societies,but something's which are not right when presented in a different light makes it seem exciting and fun and something to explore.
    Drug use or drinking or smoking or even teenage pregnancies maybe portrayed in a movie in a way that makes it seem it is OK or not as bad as people make it sound.Even teen romances sometimes influence young adults in the wrong way.
    Unless as I said before,the right message is being put across to them by adults and parents and teachers and anyone else who can influence them.

Hollywood lifestyle itself is something many youngsters idolise and some have their idols copied to a T.
    This I do believe is not totally to be blamed on the media or movies,but parents and adults who look after these kids may not have instilled in them the right values and the right people to idolise.In place of the vacuum of right guidance,some teens find TV and movies their guide to life.

Regarding the news media;-
    not being from a western country I am able to watch different news channels from various countries and I can compare them and I do find that there are some news more covered on some channels while others are not.
    For example Britney Spears(and other celebrities) keeps popping up in the international news channels for the wrong reasons.Very few celebrities are mentioned for their humanitarian or any other good works that affect the good of society.

Some channels balance by showing two sides of the same story which is rare but there are some news networks that seem to ignore one side of the story.
    Unless a person is well read or aware of the world happenings regarding politics etc,it is hard for them not to be biased by the media.

Some are ill informed and very few actually take the time (or have the time) to verify news reports to make sure whether it is true or not.

I do believe media and movies and TV does influence some in a negative way and others in a good way.

EDIT::One thing I forgot to mention was that those who have the money and time to back up any media(newspaper or movie,news etc) will surely use their influence to sway whomever they want to target their ideas/products to.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    You're kidding, right? That's the only kind of war movies there were during and after WWII.
    Care to name any? Obviously, war movies during WW II were propaganda; we can dismiss those, right? Even though not created by neo-cons?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Newspapers, TV, movies, radio, the whole lot are ENTERTAINMENT. That is not to say that some movies have a "message" such as war is hell. Or, on the radio, some blowhard is *selling* Fascism to angry folks. Or, on television, just about everything is trash except my home decorating shows...

Many Americans are impressionable today; the fundiEv Christians have rejected education and intellectual growth, so they are very prone to believing BS. They don't know how to think and like to accept simple, magical solutions to America's problems. There are no simple solutions to complicated problems. So, they believe anyone who speaks simply about problems and with anger and blame and shouting... it makes "learning" fun! Lol

Educated folks know how to think for themselves. :)

Never forget: the all the media is about MAKING MONEY, so they have to appeal to the lowest common denominator to draw in the revenue in most cases. There are a few exceptions like "Meet the Press"... that's why so many Americans were hit so hard by the death of Tim Russert... he was an honest man, a fairminded man. He stood out because the rest of the men were sell outs, unremarkable.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 11:21 AM
    What about Get Smart?
    Have not seen them all yet.

Did see the newest Indiana Jones and there was a definite black and white hero and villain ;the American was the hero and the Russian was the villain .

I am familiar with the story of the Hulk and it clearly has an anti-nuke message . The main character got a dose of radiation while building a gamma bomb.

Get Smart ? If it follows the television series it probably is a spoof on James Bond movies .

Sex and the City . No comment but I'm sure there is a social message in there and gaging from the shows popularity it probably did influence the lifestyle of some women...

Pro Iraq war movies ? None yet from Hollywierd but Bruce Willis is planning to produce a film that tells the story of the bravery of U.S. combat troops in Iraq and their success in liberating the Iraqi people.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    Newspapers, TV, movies, radio, the whole lot are ENTERTAINMENT...Or, on the radio, some blowhard is *selling* Fascism to angry folks.

Many Americans are impressionable today; the fundiEv Christians have rejected education and intellectual growth, so they are very prone to believing BS. They don't know how to think and like to accept simple, magical solutions to America's problems. There are no simple solutions to complicated problems. So, they believe anyone who speaks simply about problems and with anger and blame and shouting....it makes "learning" fun!! lol

"Meet the Press"....that's why so many Americans were hit so hard by the death of Tim Russert...he was an honest man, a fairminded man. He stood out because the rest of the men were sell outs, unremarkable.
    Well, Russert, Matthews, the clowns on 60 minutes, even Brian Lamb, always have deep, furrowed brows when interviewing conservatives; and agreeable, smiling countenances when interviewing fellow libs. So, who is angry and what are they angry about?
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 11:32 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

I see no purpose other than to tell a love story. I see no message. I wasn't lying when I posed my question. Maybe I'm not as sharp as you thought.
    Ex, you know I don't doubt you're sincerity or how sharp you are, but surely you really don't doubt that Hollywood and the media DO attempt to influence culture and shape political views. I like movies and media of all types that makes me think, but I also don't deny the bias and the intent of much of it, and that it does indeed influence society.

PS> I wonder why it's only the right side of the spectrum that sees these hidden messages... I saw plenty of John Wayne movies. Was he sending me secret messages too?
    It's not and I think you know that. If not, I'm always glad to help...

Is "Juno" Anti-Choice?

Negative Depiction of Women's Health Clinics Worries Choice Activist
    As the former President of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Gloria Feldt has fought for many years on the front lines of choice. She was a teen mother at sixteen, and later returned to school to earn a degree and work on behalf of women's reproductive rights.

Feldt's take on Juno comes from her own first-hand experiences, and she spoke to me about why the film worries her.

In the film Juno initially plans to have an abortion. But she changes her mind, partly because she has an unpleasant experience at a women's health clinic. The heavily pierced receptionist is barely older than Juno; she's unprofessional, bored and unfeeling. The depiction of the women's clinic is supposed to be comic. But as the former President of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, you must be bothered by it.

The clinic in Juno is terrible. It's a terribly untrue stereotype. My experience is that the people who work in women's health facilities where abortions are performed are so compassionate. Think about what it takes to work there daily. They have to walk through protesters and picket lines; they have to be committed to what they do. They are passionate in their convictions.

I worked for 22 years for Planned Parenthood affiliates and have seen how people are dedicated to making women feel comfortable.

One man who ran the surgery program (which included abortion and vasectomy) researched what colors were most soothing to women in distress. He found out it was pepto bismol pink and had the walls painted that color.

Patients who come in are in a difficult situation and we try to make it as welcoming to them as possible.

For Juno to deliver that stereotype to audiences shows you one example of how the anti-choice point of view has begun to influence even Hollywood, which everyone regards as left wing. They've gotten their point of view into the intellectual ether of our county.

The screenwriter, Diablo Cody, once worked as a stripper and writes a blog called Ranch. One might expect her to have a liberal attitude but in many ways the views are conservative. Do you have thoughts on this?

It would be amusing if it weren't so distressing that a woman whose profession has been in the sex trade would express this in her writing. I have two thoughts about this:

The first is "Good for her that she has the talent to write a commercially successful film."

The second is that we all have social responsibility for what we communicate through our words. And as a former stripper, of all people she should understand our society's retrograde attitudes toward women and sex...
    Juno is the latest in a series of recent movies in which the heroine, faced with an unexpected pregnancy, chooses not to have an abortion.

Others include Knocked Up, Waitress and Bella.

Dr. Vanessa Cullins, vice president for medical affairs at the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, said these story lines — generally with upbeat endings — oversimplify the tough choices facing real-life girls and women.

Each year, more than 1 million of them in the United States opt to have an abortion.

"Hollywood is in this for money and entertainment," Cullins said. "They are shying away from having the characters fully explore all their options when faced with an unplanned pregnancy.

"In the real world, it's important to weigh all the possible options and then come up with the best one for the teen, the family and the child," Cullins added. "That will be different for different circumstances."

Cullins expressed hope that the buzz about teen pregnancies would prompt candid conversations between parents and children about relationships, values and how to avoid unintended pregnancies through abstinence or effective contraception.

National statistics released earlier this month showed the teen birth rate on the rise for the first time in 15 years.

Absence of alternatives
    Demie Kurz, a sociologist who co-directs the University of Pennsylvania's women's studies program, noted that the Juno heroine and Jamie Lynn Spears come from well-off families and do not represent the many girls from low-income backgrounds who get pregnant.

"Some of them have the babies as part of their path to what they see as adulthood, but they often put their education on hold, and it makes life a lot tougher," Kurz said. "Do we want to put burdens on these teenage girls by encouraging them to think that having a baby is cool?"

She said it was reflective of the U.S. political climate that few movies depict abortion as a valid option.

"There should be a responsibility to portray a young person who makes a reasonable choice to have an abortion, or take the morning-after pill," Kurz said. "The absence of films showing alternatives is really upsetting."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scholarships and entering in the hollywood business [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if you have any scholarship on martial arts? My other question is how do I enter into the hollywood business with my martial arts talent?:)

Media State. :media disconnected [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. My computer won't connect to the internet it says that a newtwork cable is unplugged although the internet works perfectly well. I tried cmd config /renew and it says the same thing. Does anyone know why my computer won't connect to the internet?

View more questions Search