Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 04:10 PM
    I got to tell you Tom... closer is better for sure... so no disagreement there! As I said, I actually pipe these as you do... ;)

I just wanted Natalie to know that technically speaking... her plumber has only messed up by 1/8" by her measure...and like I said..I think all this can be resolved by sliding toilet back some.

I just did not want her yelling at someone just to find out that the spec. sheet is in fact 12" from finish wall and the plumber installed the rough plumbing fine... but may need to re-install the toilet to fix this!

Thanks Tom...

Mark
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    Growler, I have never heard of anyone convincing a framing company to lay out field lines for the plumber....ever!! And who would want them, too...?? I wouldn't trust such an important job to anyone but myself....why I am the plumber...not them?? If you were told later that you missed every wall in the building...who is legally responsible...you or the framing crew you suckered into doing it?? Nope...thinking I'd rather trust me with that then them!!
    I suspect I deal with a different caliber of framing contractors than you, Mark.

We are a small shop who works with a limited number of GC's and Builders, five, to be exact.

We have a twenty year history with three of them, and a fifteen year history with the other two, so a lack of confidence in crews is usually confined to new hires, who are usually broken in by us and the other long term Subs within a week or so.

As for SOG homes, they represent less than 1% of the homes built in the PNW (whereas slab on grade homes represent upwards of 90% of the homes built in the rest of the country), so it's a rare occurrence when we have to deal with string lines without already poured footings or foundation walls to pull measurements from.

Y'know, we're in kind of a niche market here (which is why I made the decision to curtail my posting to this forum), no tract homes, developments or spec homes, so we can afford to pass the responsibility of laying out walls to those who will be actually building the walls.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Well, her you have it, NatalieBlueEyes... everybody does it "his" way and everybody believes "his" way is the right way ! And your toilet still remains 1 1/2" away from the wall... Isn't life beautiful? So, maybe you should put a big plant on the toilet bowl. That may cover it up ! :-D
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 06:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal
    Well, her you have it, NatalieBlueEyes......everybody does it "his" way and everybody believes "his" way is the right way ! And your toilet still remains 1 1/2" away from the wall.... Isn't life beautiful ?! So, maybe you should put a big plant on the toilet bowl. That may cover it up ! :-D
    *smacks forehead*

Jeeze, Milo, I'd forgotten all about you.

Anyhow -- The next time you're around an uncrated, assembled WC, grab a two foot level and a tape measure, and then measure from the back of the tank to the center of the stools bolt holes.

Mark that measurement down in a log book and then do the same for the next ten or twelve other brands of WC's you encounter in the next 32 years.

If you aren't brought around to mine, Marks and the WC manufacturers way of thinking by number five or six, then I reckon there is little hope for you.

Just my two pence.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 24, 2008, 06:15 AM
    If you aren't brought around to mine, Marks and the WC manufacturers way of thinking by number five or six, then I reckon there is little hope for you.
    Growler,
    Then we are all lost down here because every plumber I know roughs a toilet in at 12" off the string. And did you read the part where Mark says he measures his rough a little short? Jeeze Growler! Bend a little! Just because it's recomended doesn't mean it's written in stone. And just because code directs you to do something a certain way doesn't necessarily mean it's the best way to do it. Sometimes ya gotta think outside the box and tapdance around code. I think it's called "flexibility". Regards, Tom
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Growler,
    Then we are all lost down here because every plumber I know roughs a toilet in at 12" off the string. And did you read the part where Mark says he measures his rough a little short? Jeeze Growler! Bend a little! Just because it's recomended doesn't mean it's written in stone. And just because code directs you to do something a certain way doesn't necessarily mean it's the best way to do it. Sometimes ya gotta think outside the box and tapdance around code. I think it's called "flexibility". Regards, Tom
    Adhering to code and the manufacturers specifications is what keeps me from being sued by disgruntled homeowners, Tom.

It also keeps me from having my license suspended or revoked or from having my insurance company drop me.

I'm not sure what the climate is down South -- But Insurers who offer coverage to Contractors up here are dropping Contractors left and right for even the smallest infraction.

Again, I'm not sure what it's like down there, but losing your insurance for cause up here means you're pretty much blackballed by the other insurance companies, which means you go work for someone else or find another line of work.
    natalieblueeyes Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Wow, you guys can have a spirited conversation. I wish I understood it all.

I don't want to yell at the wrong plumber -- because I had one plumber that did the rough-in and one that installed the toilet (long story about why two different plumbers) and I have a toilet that is 1 1/2" inches from the wall and less than 21" clearance in front of it. (Kohler specs say that it should be 3/4" from wall.) Plus the big gap behind the toilet looks stupid.

I measure 12 1/8" inches to the bolt from the finished wall (not including the floor trim). And I have two toilets that are installed this way.

When the toilet was installed, could the plumber have installed the toilet closer to the wall by just "scooting it back" or did it have to be installed that far from the wall because of the rough-in? Can I get a plumber to just pull the toilet and move it back without tearing up some of the floor? Is it an easy fix or a big pain in the butt?

Natalie

BTW, I wish one of you had installed my toilets because I would be very happy with toilets that are just 1/2" from wall or even 3/4" from the wall.

It would solve my problems.

Natalie
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 09:36 AM
    Natalie:

You asked, "When the toilet was installed, could the plumber have installed the toilet closer to the wall by just "scooting it back" or did it have to be installed that far from the wall b/c of the rough-in? Can I get a plumber to just pull the toilet and move it back without tearing up some of the floor? Is it an easy fix or a big pain in the butt?"

Answer:

Since you measured the toilet bolts at 12 1/8" to center of bolt I would recommend that you get a plumber in to lift the toilet, then set new bolts at the center of the flange and see what the TRUE measure is to center of flange from FINISHED WALL.

If at 12" or 12 1/8" then have the plumber reinstall the toilet being sure to "SCOOT" the toilet back just slightly to minimize the distance from the tank to the wall... ;)

When he is finished measure again and see what you have.

Hoping that finally resolves this for you!! It should!!

Also... be sure the plumber levels the toilet tank from back to front as an unlevel tank can easily pull the tank away from the wall a good 1/4" to 1/2" if installed wrong (use a 9" torpedo level to check the tank WITHOUT the lid in place).

Then let us know how this goes...

Thanks... MARK

PS: Hey everyone...here's what Iamgrowler looked like BEFORE a bath and a shave!! You hippie you!!... :D
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2008, 12:49 PM
    PS: Hey everyone...here's what Iamgrowler looked like BEFORE a bath and a shave!! You hippie you!!...:D
    Yeah...

That's when I decided to stop mixing posting with drinking.
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by natalieblueeyes
    Wow, you guys can have a spirited conversation. I wish I understood it all.

I don't want to yell at the wrong plumber -- because I had one plumber that did the rough-in and one that installed the toilet (long story about why two different plumbers) and I have a toilet that is 1 1/2" inches from the wall and less than 21" clearance in front of it. (Kohler specs say that it should be 3/4" from wall.) Plus the big gap behind the toilet looks stupid.

I measure 12 1/8" inches to the bolt from the finished wall (not including the floor trim). And I have two toilets that are installed this way.

When the toilet was installed, could the plumber have installed the toilet closer to the wall by just "scooting it back" or did it have to be installed that far from the wall b/c of the rough-in? Can I get a plumber to just pull the toilet and move it back without tearing up some of the floor? Is it an easy fix or a big pain in the butt?

Natalie
    The toilet has a 2" discharge and the flange is likely 3", so you could probably get away with scooting it back a good 5/8" to 3/4" without adversely affecting how it flushes.

Jun 25, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Just to make sure I understand, the plumber can take up the toilet and "scoot" it back 5/8 to 3/4" without changing the hole in the bathroom floor (the rough-in) and he just changes the bolts?
    Natalie
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 01:35 PM
    That is what we hope for you Natalie!

As you said, have him scoot it back. Lift the toilet, install the bolts... MEASURE/confirm measure from flange to finish wall... and then set the toilet again. Make sure he installs a new wax gasket as well.

During new install, have him scoot the toilet back toward wall to minimize that distance (Growler also suggested this) and be sure to level the tank as mentioned at my last post.

We hope this will fix all of this for you...WITHOUT making a big deal about it and having to move pipes/flanges.

Let us know how it turns out!

Thanks.. MARK

Jun 25, 2008, 11:06 PM
    Thanks everyone.
    I'll let you know what happens.
    Natalie
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 06:44 AM
    One more point: Kohler Pinoir toilet bowl is made in 3 different rough-ins: 10-12-14" on center. Exchange your present bowl for 14" rough-in. It should absorb the gap.

( For those who still care: All this situation with Natalie's "gap" was created by Kohler specifying all of its toilets in their spec-book as 12" rough-in on center. Indeed, it is measured from the finished wall and accounts for 1" gap bet. Tank and the wall. From the esthetic's point-of-view" it produces undesirable result.

I stopped by Kohler showroom yesterday with level in one hand and tape in the other. I measured all Kohler toilets on display. The dimensions between bolts and tank varied from 9" to 10 3/4". None of them was 12". The salesman was very interested in what I am doing. So I presented him with our problem. He pulled out Kohler Catalog, and we selected one sample toilet (Kohler Memoir) and compared book specs info with Memoir toilet model present on display. (In the showroom, toilet tank was nicely displayed in mock-up bathroom and was flash with the wall). We measured. The actual distance was 10 3/4" from finished wall on center of the bolts. This findings repeated on Cimmaron and Wellworth Light toilets present on display. Would these toilets be installed as Kohler suggests - than there would be a large gap.

Good question, good discussion, good answers, good thread ! )
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 08:06 PM
    Just to support my previous response with visual. Kohler lists 12" rough-in. Actual distance is 10 1/4".

We always rough in at 12" on center from rough framing. We string walls ourselves. This pic was taken today. It is a bathroom addition project.
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 05:28 AM
    Milo...

Look at your top picture really carefully and then you tell me what is wrong with it? You have just CONFIRMED what me and Iamgrowler are talking about!!

Actually, no, let me tell you what is wrong..ok?

You have measured this toilet from the face of your level which is in front of finish baseboard... *UNBELIEVABLE*

So let's see... 10.25 inches plus 1" for width of level, plus 5/8" for the wood baseboard equals... *drum roll please*... 11.875 inches (leaving 1/2" behind the tank if I see that picture as correctly as I am sure I do actually makes this a perfect 12" rough with 7/8" behind the toilet tank! ). Check out imgrowler's post #20....you have just proved his specification sheet is EXACTLY dead on!!

And the other picture below showing a tape measure over the toilet pipe....MILO, you couldn't be more insulting if you tried. This picture only proves that you rough in your toilets contrary to engineered specifications...??? I would not brag about that!

I have nothing else to say on this... Thank you for driving my point home!

*UNBELIEVABLE*

MARK
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Milo...

Look at your top picture really carefully and then you tell me what is wrong with it?? You have just CONFIRMED what me and Iamgrowler are talking about!!!

Actually, no, let me tell you what is wrong..ok??

You have measured this toilet from the face of your level which is in front of finish baseboard....*UNBELIEVABLE*

So let's see....10.25 inches plus 1" for width of level, plus 5/8" for the wood baseboard equals...*drum roll please*....11.875 inches (leaving 1/2" behind the tank if I see that picture as correctly as I am sure I do actually makes this a perfect 12" rough with 7/8" behind the toilet tank!!).

MARK
    *rolls eyes*

You caught that to, eh?
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 07:05 AM
    Milo...

Look at your top picture really carefully and then you tell me what is wrong with it?? You have just CONFIRMED what me and Iamgrowler are talking about!!!

Actually, no, let me tell you what is wrong..ok??

You have measured this toilet from the face of your level which is in front of finish baseboard....*UNBELIEVABLE*

So let's see....10.25 inches plus 1" for width of level, plus 5/8" for the wood baseboard equals...*drum roll please*....11.875 inches (leaving 1/2" behind the tank if I see that picture as correctly as I am sure I do actually makes this a perfect 12" rough with 7/8" behind the toilet tank!!). Check out imgrowler's post #20....you have just proved his specification sheet is EXACTLY dead on!!!!

And the other picture below showing a tape measure over the toilet pipe....MILO, you couldn't be more insulting if you tried. This picture only proves that you rough in your toilets contrary to engineered specifications...??? I would not brag about that!

I have nothing else to say on this... Thank you for driving my point home!

*UNBELIEVABLE*

MARK
    MassPlumber2008, well, my apology for getting your blood going. :D Now, calm down, everything will be just fine...

Anyway, that first photo doesn't show it clearly, but the level actually slides - clearly - between the wall and toilet tank - even though it is sitting on top of the baseboard. I had a hard time sliding my 4' level in from the top because of shelf above the tank. Maybe I should have taken better photo that shows that better. I realize, this one may be read incorrectly...

Yes, we always rough-in our toilets as shown in the second pic to avoid the "NatalieBlueEyes" effect. This is based on what customer asks, architects request, and GCs expect. Otherwise, we would not get paid not to mention stayed in business for very long time. It is certainly not against the Plumbing Code to install toilet so it sits nicely close against the wall and its final effect pleases everybody involved. Or, perhaps, is it in your area?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Milo...

*RIDICULOUS*

Whether level slides in behind the toilet or not... down at the floor (where toilet measures are taken)... YOU HAVE STILL MEASURED FROM THE FRONT OF THE LEVEL WITH THE BASEBOARD BEHIND THAT... again, proving that a 12" rough meets the specification numbers in the sheet posted for you...

And if you are telling me that your GCs, your architects and customers have told you to ignore specification sheets then I don't believe you!! Although closer to wall....who says 1" is not as good as 1/2"... you?

In my area, any GC, architect or customer let me decide how to rough my plumbing... I assure you!

Simple as this... you just don't get it... I see that now!

*RIDICULOUS*

Plumbing Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 07:39 AM
    Milo...

*RIDICULOUS*

Whether level slides in behind the toilet or not...down at the floor (where toilet measures are taken)...YOU HAVE STILL MEASURED FROM THE FRONT OF THE LEVEL WITH THE BASEBOARD BEHIND THAT........again, proving that a 12" rough meets the specification numbers in the sheet posted for you...

And if you are telling me that your GCs, your architects and customers have told you to ignore specification sheets then I don't believe you!! Although closer to wall....who says 1" is not as good as 1/2"....you??

In my area, any GC, architect or customer let me decide how to rough my plumbing...I assure you!!

*RIDICULOUS*

I am sorry to publicly admit to you - but yes, as a plumber, I do have to listen to my General Contractor, Architect, City Inspectors - and most importantly - to my customers. My willingness to listen and do what ever entire team suggests has never failed me. Unlike you, I am not allowed to do what ever I want to do. It is not my call. Every project is a team effort with one thing in mind: satisfactory completion of the project.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Distance from Wall to toilet drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am framing a basement batheroom that was roughed in when the house was built. The existing toilet drain seems close to the foundation wall. When I go to frame the finished wall what is my recommended and/or minimum distance from the finished wall to the center of the toilet drain? I can make...

Toilet Distance from Wall [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, We are remodeling our bathroom and the toilet needed to be moved down about two feet along the same wall from its old location. The plumber has placed it so that the back of the toilet will not sit against the wall, but out from the wall, leaving a gap of about two inches between the wall...

How far should toilet tank be from wall? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a very small bathroom and every inch counts. This is a new bathroom in the house and the plumber installed the toilet with the toilet tank 1 1/2" from the wall. I have never seen a toilet tank that far from the wall. Is that acceptable? or should it be closer to the wall. The front...

New toilet sits less distance from wall [ 11 Answers ]

Where do I find a flange that will offset from the existing 14" to 12"? Or do I need to re-plumb and re-tile?

Toilet tank too close to wall [ 4 Answers ]

The toilets were installed too close to the walls. The toilet tanks are right against the wall and there hasn't been a problem. However, now one of the tanks has started to do a slow drip. Is there an offset toilet with a tank or something I can do other than chipping out the slab ?

View more questions Search