Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SAMMVM Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 05:48 AM
    cracked ceramic tile on bathroom wall
    I live in an older home. Some of the bathroom wall tiles are cracked. I want to replace the cracked tiles (4x4 tiles)

So when I remove an old tile, there is this adhesive (?) that is hard as a rock. Do I have to remove this also before I install a replacement tile?

Also, could I just put bead board over all this tile? (Not in the shower of course)

You have already guessed that I know nothing about this, right? HAHA
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jun 20, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Yes, remove the old thin-set before you put the new tiles in. Shouldn't be too hard to get it out of there. Bead Board over the tiles would not be a good idea, if you want to do that just take all the tile down first.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 20, 2008, 04:21 PM
    Hmmm...

I am betting that you have a dried MASTIC on the walls which is why you are having trouble removing it Sam! Old, dried mastic (goldish color when old/dried) can be difficult to remove.

For small repair jobs like this, I have used sharp wood chisels to remove this stuff with good success. Then use a bucket of pre-mixed thinset mortar or a bucket of MASTIC tile adhesive to set new tiles.

They also make a great tool for removing all kinds of stuff... called the multimaster I think... but very expensive and not worth purchasing just for this... but the tool works fantastic!

Installing bead board over tile in good condition can be done if you use an appropriate adhesive... but like Amricca suggested, probably best to remove tile and then install the bead board and a nice chair-rail trim... ;)

Let us know what you think here... MARK

bunnyana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Definitely remve the old gunk, because it will make the new tile stickou if you don't and it will not hold right, use cocking to stick it on for tile and let dry, try a knife or pick for the old stuff...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to tile (ceramic) a bathroom ceiling? [ 9 Answers ]

My basement bathroom ceiling is very low (7ft), especially over the shower/tub area. As a result, I am installing ceramic tile on the ceiling because of the moisture thing. I'm already using the same 12x12 ceramic tile on the floor and walls. This tile is recommended for floor or walls. I...

Changing ceramic tile in a bathroom - doable if so how? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have ceramic tile on my floor and the walls of my shower that I would like to change. First is this too complicated for an amateur to do in one or two weekends? If not how do you remove the existing tile (installed by the builder) it and install new tile?

Bathroom Ceramic Tile Replacement - Old House [ 5 Answers ]

Recently my daughter and I undertook to replace the bathroom creamic tilein her older home. The house was built in the 1920s. After removing the old tile (two layers), we found concrete poured over the floor joists about an inch thick. This layer of concrete has a few cracks but worst of all...

I have laid ceramic tile in my bathroom, [ 1 Answers ]

I'm wondering if I have to grout between the wall and the tile? I'm not putting tile on my walls, just going to have baseboards and trims!

Bathroom - ceramic tile new walls or new floor first? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am getting ready to tile a bathroom that was built from scratch.. there was no bath there before it was built... I have the floor tiles, which will be set over half-inch cement board with thin set. The subfloor and cement board are already installed and ready for tile, which will be...

View more questions Search