Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alaskan4545 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 03:03 AM
    Contract for Deed
    Good morning;
    Assume you find someone going through foreclosure and their house is almost ready to go to auction. How do you use a contract for deed to seize the property before foreclosure? Should it only be done when there is a certain percentage of equity in the property? Thank you.

John
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Welcome to AMHD. I am not certain I understand your question. If the property is almost ready to go to auction, that would indicate the mortgagor/seller is in arrears, right? Are you attempting to purchase the property? I'm confused by your use of the word, "seize". I believe the mortgagee must approve of this arrangement and would want the installments under the promissory note and expenses incurred for auction brought current before removing the property from auction.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 20, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskan4545
    How do you use a contract for deed to seize the property before foreclosure?
    The answer is you don't. You have no standing with the property and cannot "seize" anything.

The only thing you can do with a property in foreclosure is make an offer to the owner to buy it. If your offer is enough to pay the outstanding balance on the mortgage, the property owner may sell to you.

Another option is to see if the lender will assign the mortgage to you. You would then pay the arrears and, maybe, a small amount to the owner to transfer title to you.

You could enter a contract for deed with the owner, but the only way ehat could work is if 1) your downpayment is enough to bring the mortgage upt to date and 2) your contrac payment is enough to cover the mortgage payment.
    alaskan4545 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 08:02 AM
    My question was paraphrased too loosely. Before the bank has an auction, is it possible to transfer title to the property assuming anything in arrears is paid, under a contract for deed agreement so there is actually no "sale"? This would enable the new titleholder to rent it out hopefully to cover the mortgage payments or sell it. Is that more clearly stated?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 20, 2008, 08:09 AM
    I believe I answered this with my first response. At any time prior to the foreclosure, the mortgage can be brought up to date to forestall the foreclosure. Someone seeking to purchase the property under a contract for deed, would need to pay enough up front to bring the account up to date.

Since, in a contract for deed, there is no change in title, the mortgage lender may need to be satisified the loan won't fall into arrears again. The buyer would have to make sure that payments are made to the mortgage holder.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 08:16 AM
    It is possible to transfer title to property before an auction if the note and mortgage do not include a 'due on sale' clause. I don't believe a contract for deed will make the recipient a 'new titleholder', but I don't know the correct word for that in any event.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contract for Deed, Please Help! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a situation, and could use some solid advice. I own a 2-family house in Missouri, and have been living in it for two years. I re-financed it last year, pulling cash out of equity. I now owe more on the house than I could hope to get in a *quick* sale. I plan to move to Texas in the next...

Contract deed [ 1 Answers ]

What are some problems with contract deed sales

Quit Claim Deed/Contract for Deed [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, I have posted before. I had a contract for deed piece of property, and have myself been going back and forth with a lawyer and the client. Trying to make a offer to end this nightmare. I offered them 1000.00 in 10 payments and at the end of that to sign a quitclaim deed or 500.00 and...

Contract for deed [ 3 Answers ]

I have a contract for deed on a house. I put 10% down a year ago and have made the payments on time for a year. I am moving because of a job offer. I just want to give the house back to the seller. I do not want anything back. Can he sue me for non performance?? I ask him to simply sign a quick...

View more questions Search