Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcleanadrienne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Stop wage garnishment
    I am really angry that a credit card company has issued a wage garnishment via court order to my job of seven months, It pisses me off that this debt is five years old and they continued to charge me all kinds of late fees after several years has passed with no contact. I can't AFFORD TO HAVE 10% OF MY PAY TAKEN. I am a single mom with two teens and I earn very little . What can I do to erase this court order?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 19, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Pay them. They have the right to garnish wages after you've not paid your five year old debt.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Well a few things, first for 5 years you have gotten bill after bill, phone call after phone call. Next they can not just get a judgement, you had to be served notice of a court hearing and chose not to go and defend yourself, that was the chance you had to prove you did not owe the money.

Ways to stop
    1. if this debt was over the Statue of Limitation for that type of debt in your state take them back to court and ask for it to be dismissed.

2. if you were not properly served take them back to court and ask for the judgement to be dismissed for lack of proper service ( they may refile normally)

3 take them back to court and prove you don't owe the debt or that it has been paid
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Jun 20, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Well first of all why should you be angry? It is your debt and like Fr_Chuck said you got letters,calls etc and a court hearing and if you did not go to defend yourself that is how the creditor got the judgement . Follow the advice given above because this will not go away by it self
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 20, 2008, 08:57 AM
    I think the people here missed the "no contact" point in your post. But I have to agree that you have little if any right to be angry about this. This is a debt YOU incurred. Did you think it would just go away on its own? Why should you be pissed off that they finally tracked you down and want THEIR money.

That being said, what's not clear here is whether you were aware that they had obtained a judgement against you. If you were not aware of this, then you have some recourse. If you were aware they filed suit and you did nothing to fight it, then you are stuck.

If you received no notice of them filing suit, then you can go back to the court that issued the garnishment and file a motion to vacate on the grounds of improper service. However, all this will do is buy time. If they can't prove that you were served notice of the suit properly, the court will vacate the judgement and rescind the garnihsment. However, they will just refile. If they can prove the debt is valid, they will get a new judgement and refile suit.
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2008, 07:23 AM
    I guess you didn't show up in court the first time... What is your state ?

If the statute of limitation has expired you can file a motion to vacate and get all your money back, you can even contra sue them for damages.

Besides the proper service you also definitely need to check on the SOL on your state laws.

Carl.-

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to stop wage garnishment in Florida [ 6 Answers ]

I was recently notified by my employer that an old credit card co. is garnishing 25% of my wages. I was never notified of this until now. I am a single mother of two I bring home about 500.00 every two weeks. Which if I read Florida law correctly I have to make at least 500.00 a week for them to...

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

Wage Garnishment [ 6 Answers ]

I had a judgement placed against me for $5000.00 dollars by a neighbor that claims my son damaged his fence and I want to know if I allow it to become a lien on my credit can my wages be garnished from my bank account?

How do I stop wage garnishment [ 7 Answers ]

About 6 years ago, I lost my job and was subsequently unable to continue making even minimum payments on a credit card. It was sent to collections, and I haven't been able to keep my head above water long enough to even offer a settlement. Thursday, I received notice at work that a court had...

Wage garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I work in Pennsylvania and live in New Jersey, I make 150 before taxes. Can the creditor garnish my wages?

View more questions Search