Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cpon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 03:51 PM
    What is considered a "minor" repair to a rental house?
    I have been living in a house for about a year. So far, I have had to rip out the smelly,30 year old carpet and replace them. I have painted the inside. One bathroom is clogged all the time and has cracked tile on the floor. The other bathroom, the shower ran constantly (I fixed it after I received a 100.00 water bill) and the toilet ran constantly( I fixed this also). The dishwasher does not work, the stove is 30 years old. There is a brick retaining wall that is falling down outside. And there is a power outlet (outside) which sparked and melted the power cord. I have told him about all of these issues and he has done nothing. I never see him or hear from him until the rent is due. Oh, and I changed the locks because we were robbed 2 times in less than 6 months. ( He helped me change the locks, but never offered to pay for them. And, I gave him a key) I cannot afford to move, but I want a healthy, safe, and functioning home to live in. I pay the rent as agreed. Does anyone know what I can legally hold him to as the landlord?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 04:04 PM
    Have you addressed your complaints in writing to him stating just what needs the attention of a repair person? If the dishwasher does not work why not? If the stove is 30 years old, does it work? The power outlet is an easy change out that you can do yourself if you first turn the breaker off for that room. The part is less than $5. You need to be specific with the landlord and give him a time frame to complete the repairs. A retaining wall if not in danger of falling onto the house is not vital repair. If, after a reasonable amount of time has elapsed and he has not fixed the items on your list, you have the option of placing your rent monies in the court registry pending his fixing the items. The clerk will nofity him that your rent money is held in the registry and certain items need fixed and he will be given his money. This way he cannot evict you for non payment of rental monies.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2008, 04:08 PM
    What is your rental agreement,

All of these problems were wrong with the home ( except maybe the water drips) so why did you move into such a bad home to start with,
    I would assume you are paying a rent value for a old run down home :? You do sort of get what you pay for.
    So you can ask him to fix things that are dangerous, electric, bricks that may fall.
    But if you want a safe healthy home, I don't meen this wrong, but you should have moved into one to start with, if you move into a dump that is what you are living in.

You can ask him to fix everything, they can refuse, you can call the city building and code enforcement, he can decide not to rent or the buildig even condemned and you are ordered to move.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Turn him into the board of health
    Take pictures and keep all receipts
    I am sure there are other places you can call
    You may even be able to take it to district court.
    I heard you can put your rent in escrow or something
    Until things are worked out but
    Someone here said that you can't do that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When will her bloodline be considered "clean"? [ 11 Answers ]

My husbands female pitbull had sex with the neighborhood mutt(pitbull, lab mix) I have heard that she can now never have pure bred pitbull puppiesbut my husband believes thqat if he breeds her on her next cycle with a pit bull the puppies will be pure bred who is correct?

Can partial rent be considered "paid in full"? Part2 [ 2 Answers ]

Can partial rent be considered "paid in full"? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a store in which the rent for the past 3 years has been $9K/month. I have 2 years left on the lease. I've spoken over the phone and have many email...

Can partial rent be considered "paid in full"? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a store in which the rent for the past 3 years has been $9K/month. I have 2 years left on the lease. I've spoken over the phone and have many email correspondence with the leasing director of the realty company about giving me lower rent since the weakening economy due to high energy...

"Minor" starter problem [ 2 Answers ]

A few days ago, when I went to a shop to get my compression measured (on a Civic '90 DX), the guys told me my starter is spinning a bit too slow. On a side note, it takes at least 4-5 rotates to start the engine... something like "cg-cg-cg-cg-WOOOM". Now I'm wondering if this is something I could...

View more questions Search