Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 03:41 PM
    The italian "ti voglio bene!" - finding the best translation
    What is the best translation from italian to english for:

ti voglio bene

I'm not convinced that the use of this phrase has an equal partner in english.

What do you think?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 19, 2008, 03:49 PM
    It doesn't have an equal partner in english because like french and spanish, affirmations of love are very direct and precise, it is an declaration of affection or deep caring, to a VERY close friend or a family member. Much different then just 'amora'.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Just so you know, I do speak fluent italian, but I wrote a poem years ago that was trying to include interpretations of what it might mean in English. I'm editing it now, and I would love some possible translations. For now, all I have in my mind is "i want well for you," but that sounds terrible. It sounds like you care about the person, but that perhaps you would prefer to care about them from afar. :) that's certainly not what the italians mean when they say it, no?

You're right about the family part - here you would never say "ti amo" or "i love you" to your parents. That's only for your significant other, really. For one's parents it's "ti voglio bene!"
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2008, 05:58 PM
    But in English the word LOVE has many meanings, depending on how it is used. The love of a parent, the love of a activity, the love of a friend, the love of a spouse, or love as a sexual act ( and I am usre there are more)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 03:32 AM
    It may not have an equal partner in English. And, agreement with Fr_Chuck's answer above, it may make a difference as to the interpretation or translation of it, depending on the context in which it is used.

There seems to be considerable debate as well as possible good answers when a person tries a Google search for the phrase.

ti voglio bene - Google Search

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sanskrit translation of "Elina"? [ 6 Answers ]

Would somebody be able to provide the Sanskrit origin and/or translation of the name "Elina"? According to the internet it's "woman of intelligence" but I'm not sure if that's accurate. I've also seen that it could mean "rule" as in ruling a kingdom. Also, if you could help me with the...

Anyone remember the spanish/italian soap opera, "Maria, Maria" ? [ 4 Answers ]

I remember watching it as a child. For those of you who doesn't know what I'm referring to, it's about this girl named Maria. I think she was a shoe shiner or something and she falls in love with this really rich guy and he kind of falls in love with her too, and wants to marry her, but of course,...

Need Sanskrit translation for the word "fundamental". Thanks! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, does anybody out there have the sankrit (pradhaana) translation for the word "fundamental"? Help!

Latin translation for "Friends, we've lost a day." [ 3 Answers ]

"Friends, we've lost a day." to indicate that the group has wasted time

What is the formula for finding the ratio called "RETURN ON TOTAL RESOURCES" [ 3 Answers ]

this is my question.. reply to my email if possible the formula for RETURN ON TOTAL RESOURCES.. WHAT I NO IS THAT IT IS SOMETHING DIVIDED BY TOTAL ASSETS X 100.. IF I AM NOT RIGHT CAN SOME HELP ME PLEASE VERY SOON The following are the summarized profit and loss account of V Ltd for the year...

View more questions Search