Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apg229 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 01:52 PM
    $315.00 theft.sentence?
    Hey everyone.

I am 20 years old and recently was "caught" stealing from my place of employment. The reason I put caught in quotation marks is because they have it on camera, but I gave them an alibi that they sort of believe. They believed it cause the camera was not high enough quality to tell the specifics. They did, however, say they were going to send the tape to corporate and get them to send us back an HD copy of it--which I believe would probably show exactly what I was doing. I have no previous criminal record.

On to details:

I took 3 Visa refillable gift cards of 105 dollars each and activated them. The reason I did this is because a bill that I have been slowly working off for college went to a collection agency and they want the money asap. So... I got the money in... less than legal ways. I have no criminal past, and have a spotless record where I work... so I was wondering if and when they get the HD tapes, and if and when I get caught for real, what is the sentence I would be facing? Jail time? Probation? Community Service? All of the above?

Any help here would be freaking amazing! Please please PLEASE help me out!

Thank you all so very much in advance!
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 01:54 PM
    I doubt jail time, but definitely probation, heavy fines and reparations, community service, and you'll certainly lose that job.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2008, 02:01 PM
    Well as long as you are playing words, you stole it, you did not at least use a gun and threaten to kill anyone so it is not that bad of theft, but you took someone because you preferred to take something that was not yours.

So what will happen, you will have to pay it back and you will get a large fine and you will be put on probation
    apg229 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 04:38 PM
    So no jail then? For sure? What kind of fines are we talking here?

Also, how much community service?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I just want to be prepared for the (very likely) accusations and court and what not.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2008, 05:04 PM
    They may allow community service instead of some probation time,
    Fine, my guess 500 to 1000 dollars plus court costs, and in some areas you may have probation costs also esp if this goes though city court ( in US) and they use a private probatoin service.

Normally if they have you dead to right with evidence, you will get an attorney and they will work out a plea agreement for you so that you will get normally a lighter sentence. Attoreny to help with plea without going to trial about 500 to 1000 most likely
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 19, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Most of this will be decided by the judge. And I'm sorry, just because you THINK they believe your "alibi" doesn't mean that they do. IN fact I can tell you that they don't. All these things will be decided by the judge. What state do you live in?

And as stated before you will definitely be terminated.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by apg229
    Hey everyone.

I am 20 years old and recently was "caught" stealing from my place of employment. the reason i put caught in quotation marks is because they have it on camera, but i gave them an alibi that they sort of believe. They believed it cause the camera was not high enough quality to tell the specifics. They did, however, say they were going to send the tape to corporate and get them to send us back an HD copy of it--which I believe would prolly show exactly what i was doing. I have no previous criminal record.

On to details:

I took 3 Visa refillable gift cards of 105 dollars each and activated them. The reason I did this is because a bill that i have been slowly working off for college went to a collection agency and they want the money asap. So..........i got the money in.......less than legal ways. I have no criminal past, and have a spotless record where I work.....so I was wondering if and when they get the HD tapes, and if and when i get caught for real, what is the sentence i would be facing? Jail time? Probation? Community Service? All of the above?

Any help here would be freaking amazing! Please please PLEASE help me out!

Thankyou all so very much in advance!

I think until you stop playing cat and mouse here - you didn't get the money in less than legal ways. You stole it - you are facing some serious problems in Court.

No way to know if they'll review the tapes and recognize you -

Otherwise, unfortunately for store owners everywhere, you will probably get a fine, probation, community service.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jun 26, 2008, 08:57 AM
    In my state a person in your circumstances would get probation, community service, court costs, and as part of the probation order, you would be required to pay back any money that was lost to the company you stole from.

I was in retail security for many years and have seen employers decline to prosecute if the person pays the money back. They always fire the person who steals from them, however.
    rainacidbeer Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

May 20, 2009, 07:59 PM

You should consult a lawyer in the mean time to discuss your options,maybe you could avoid a conviction.The tapes might not be high quality enough but the store guards and the cops can and do lie,so keep that in mind. There always a chance they can't prove it was you. If so there going to try to get you to shoot yourself in the foot. You probably could get a free consultation from a lawyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the possible sentence ? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the possible sentence for foreign citizen who caught trespassing private area in the state of Washington?

Theft and sentence [ 3 Answers ]

I have a brother that was convicted nine years ago for theft and assault. He was eighteen at the time and him and a few friends decided to do a beer and gas run. My brothers friend had a gun and pulled it out at the person at the register w/out my brother knowing this. They ended up leaving with...

Non mandatory sentence [ 1 Answers ]

My Husband has caught his second drug case, and he has a state parole violation and that is a year. Ok now he go 1 1/2 to 4 for his new case. Now his attorney told us that if he does at least 3 to 6 months of his new case he would be able to get prerelease is that true? His sentencing is non...

Imperative sentence? [ 1 Answers ]

Just curious, could the following two sentences be considered imperative sentences. I believe so, but just double checking for my son's homework. 1. Josh go to your room. 2. You better go to your room. Thanks.

What would be my sentence [ 2 Answers ]

I am 39 year old, leaving in canada on visa. Caught for shoplifting charged with Theft under $5000. On the day of my first appearance in court I am going to plead guilty... My visa will exp in 3 months. This is my first offence and I am very regret for the same. Want to know what type of sentence...

View more questions Search