Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Merissa75 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Removing judgement
    DH and I have not been able to get a judgement vacated by an apartment complex we rented from. We have contacted the complex and they have no record of damage or money owed. Corporate told us they didn't have one either and that it was up to us to get it removed. I should add that we where given a refund by corporate after moving out. How can they legally file a judgment when they sent me a refund? :mad:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2008, 01:05 PM
    You will need to appear in court, get a letter from both the apartment and the corporation that there is nothing owed any longer.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Do you want the judgement 'vacated' or 'satisfied'? To vacate a judgment, you will need to file pleadings in the court, have the other side served, and schedule and appear at a hearing. If the judgment has been paid and you owe nothing, attach a copy of the judgment to a letter by the creditor, signed and dated, stating that the foregoing judgment has be paid and fully satisfied. Take the letter to the clerk of court and have the judgment marked, 'satisfied'.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 01:16 PM
    How did they get this judgment?

Did you receive notice of being sued, and fail to show up for the court date?

If you were never properly served, I would use that as a reason to have the judgment
    Removed, based upon not being legally notified of the suit.

If you knew, and just didn't go, then the best you can do is to get the judgment marked as satisfied.

George has given you good advice to accomplish that.

Jun 19, 2008, 01:27 PM
    We where never notified, served, etc... We found out when we went to close on our home that we had a judgement. It affected our interest rates dramatically. We had no contact from the apartment complex other then a refund for part of our deposit the January(10 months) after we moved out. It was for $323.

We called the company that filed the judgement only to have them deny they did one. They have no record of it. They told us we where on our own to figure it out.

What I don't understand is why would they refund us money if we supposedly owe them money. Even if they have no record of us owing anything. :confused:

Jun 19, 2008, 01:28 PM
    I assume we want to have it vacated since it isn't a valid judgement.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Merissa75
    I assume we want to have it vacated since it isn't a valid judgement.
    Contact the court where the judgment was filed.

Ask them what is in the file for proof of service of the original notice of the suit.

If they have one, you will need to examine it, and verify if it is valid or not.

If they don't have any proof of service, then you need to file a motion to dismiss the judgment on the grounds that you were never properly served.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 01:56 PM
    What state?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing a negative judgement from my credit report [ 1 Answers ]

I have a negative judgement on my experian credit report. I went to the courthouse and found out that the judgement was settled in June of '03. I contacted alliance one to have them contact experian to let them know that the judgement was settled, and they told me that I had to contact them myself....

Texas - CC Judgement Can They Put Judgement Against Husband's Property only his name [ 1 Answers ]

Have been sent a summons and contacted attorney. While discussing lump sum settlement they hung up and said they would see me in court. I have tried to call back with no response. Can the judgement in court be put against property that is only in my husbands name?

Removing or Contesting a Previous Judgement [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I've found myself in one of the toughest financial times of my life. My business went under, my marriage was on the rocks, and I found myself being sued for a frivolous claim for which I was clearly not in the wrong. The problem was I didn't have the resources to fight the suit at the...

Removing a Paid Judgement in MD. [ 3 Answers ]

This medical bill for $400 was not my responsibility. I was injured in a work accident in Maryland and all bills were covered by my PA state workers comp. The total of all bills was around $200,000 yet this small bill from the day of injury was not paid, I sent many letters and copies to the...

Removing faucet handle after removing screw on top [ 7 Answers ]

My hot water is leaking.. I remove the top screw on the handle; the handle won`t come off.. should I try and pry it off or is there another screw somewhere that I don`t know about? This is a two handle-one spout faucet.

View more questions Search