Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fenway78 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2006, 06:32 PM
    Non resident tax exemption for Italian citizen?
    Hello,
    I am an Italian MD doing a research fellowship in one of the Harvard Medical School hospitals.
    I am here on a J-1 visa, arrived last June and leaving next July.
    I am filing my tax return now, and I don't know if I can apply for the exemption based on the treaty with Italy or not.
    I have read the IRS website, but I am still clueless.
    I am not a teacher/professor, so I guess I cannot use article 20.
    Am I right?
    Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2006, 10:14 PM
    No, as a researcher on a J-1 visa, all of your salary should be exempt from taxation.

Check out IRS Pub 901.

If you still have trouble, I may be able to prepare your return for you. Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested.
    Fenway78 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2006, 08:03 PM
    Thank you very much for your help, I have now sought and read the publication you advised me to check out.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 16, 2006, 10:11 PM
    Glad to help!
    lcer75 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2006, 08:39 AM
    Hi, I am also on a J-1 visa at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (part of the Smithsonian Institution, which for tax purposes is considered as an education institution).
    I've been told by the administrative staff here that I'm not eligible to tax exemption on the basis of Art 20 because I'm not a teacher or professor but you said this is not fundamental. Actually I know many Italian people who are not teachers or professors and are considered exempt by their institutes.
    I thought my condition was different because I am a PhD student (at an Italian university) though on a research fellowship, but I have also met a guy who is a PhD student and is exempt.
    I really don't understand how this rule works. Why do you say that researchers in general are exempt, no matter if they're teachers or not? I mean: what article or rule should I tell my administrative staff to check and apply, to be recognized as an exempt person?
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2006, 09:43 AM
    Icer75:

Based on your input, I believe you are exempt.

However, I recommend you get professional help from a tax professional experienced in this field. I am sure someone at the Smithsonian can refer you. The fee he/she charges will be worth it if you do not have to pay taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treaty USA-Italy Non-resident Alien Tax Exemption [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question related to the non-resident alien/resident alien problems. More in detail, I have a question about the exemption under international agreements between USA and my country Italy. Briefely, I describe my situation. I am an Italian citizien. On the 3rd of September 2002...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

Marriage law between a Turkish citizen and Greek citizen [ 0 Answers ]

To whom it may concern ı would like to find out if a Turkish citizen gets married in Greece with a Greek citizen does the Turkish citizen has to wait and remain in Greece until her residant permit arrives? Doesn't she aloud to travel abroad before the resident permit document arrives? How...

Resident or non-resident alien child? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a peculiar problem that is unanswered after 3 days of searching online. I am a resident alien in the US, and my wife and son joined me on a dependent H-4 visa on November 19,2005. My son was born earlier on in the year outside the country. So, my question is, can my baby...

Tax exemption [ 3 Answers ]

Thank you very much for your reply. It was much helpful. However, when I was reading the income tax treaty between India and US on the IRS website - Article number 22, (please see the link below, page 49 for payments to research scholars) http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/inditech.pdf It...

View more questions Search