Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mayopam9 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Collection Agencies
    Are there any federal gov. collection agencies? I live in South Carolina and a collection agency called me to say I had to pay this debt in 90 days or she would garnish my wages, she said she was with the federal government and could do this. The loan was not a government loan it was through a bank for a 2007 dodge caliber car that, unforntunately, was totalled last September. The insurance paid $17514.00 and it left me owing $2700.00 I did not have Gap insurance. I needed another car to go to work so I asked the bank if I could pay the remainder of what I owed at $150.00 pm they refused, because the car was totalled. I can not make 2 car payments of $400.00 pmonth, so my loan went into default and was turned over to a collection agency Help!!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Did they give you an 800 number?
    They will use tactics like saying they are a law firm or with the government
    If they gave you an 800 number type it in here and see what others have to say

http://800notes.com/

Jun 19, 2008, 11:11 AM
    No it wasn't an 800 number it is a collection agency in mariette ga
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 11:12 AM
    The collection agencies that come after me have 800 numbers.

Jun 19, 2008, 11:26 AM
    I typed in the number on the 8oo # website and it showed as Focus Rec. managements
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 11:32 AM
    They are making threats that could be determined to be in violation of the FDCPA.

They will have to sue you first, obtain a judgment, and then they would be able to garnish wages if allowed in your state.

Here is a link to your rights.

Unfortunately, your failure to purchase gap insurance has left you in a bad position. Should they decide to take you to court,
    The chances that they will prevail are very good.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...edit/cre27.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection agencies [ 1 Answers ]

Can a collection agency or credit card company send someone to your home or work to try and scare you into paying your debt?

Collection Agencies [ 1 Answers ]

Can a collection agency in Ontario garnish someone's wages

About Collection Agencies [ 6 Answers ]

Do US collection agencies have jurisdiction in Canada? Do US judgements have any effect on debtors from Canada?

Collection agencies [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if there was a way to help pay collections agencies? I have so much debt due to medical bills and need to pay off over $7,000. I'm on a very fixed income & budget & am worried about bankruptcy. I need help. Also, can a collection agency take you to court?

Collection agencies [ 1 Answers ]

I Am In Collection Agencies For My Charged Off Accounts If I Start Paying Them Off Will It Show The 3 Major Credit Bureusm My Payments Made To Them For Example I Owe Sears But It Is On Collection How Does It Work? Thank A lot

View more questions Search