Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fredjim Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 04:31 AM
    Roten window frame
    Hi

I discovered a section of rote on the lower corner of a window frame. The window is a small wooden slider type.

The section is about 2 inches in height and is evident both inside and outside.

Can I repair this section or do I need to replace the window?
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Jun 19, 2008, 04:44 AM
    My observatin about wood rot, is it's there, whether visible or not... I'd replace the window frame, because the rest has already started rotting anyway. Be sure to paint.
    kidolph Posts: 90, Reputation: 12

Jun 19, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Press a small awl into the rot. If it is soft less than 1/2" in , you mau wish to use Minwax wood hardener Minwax® High Performance Wood Hardener - Wood Maintenance & Repair - Minwax.com. If it is deeper than that use Wood preservation, rot repair, and restoration using epoxy resin on boats and homes. . Though the best thing to do is replace the window sometimes that is not an option, or an option at this time. Rot can migrate and you don't want to have it affect the structural members of the house. These products can stop the process until you can do a proper repair.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2008, 04:02 AM
    I do agree with the answer by kidolph above! I have used those sort of products many times. However, I think that it would also help to know if fredjim is working with a window frame that is on a really old home (like maybe over 75 years old) or one that is more modern where you could actually find the dimensions of wood necessary to replace an entire frame.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to close all the childwindows(popup window) when closing the parent window [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, all In javascript I need to close all the child windows that I have opened through a parent window Scenario: Here I will be having as many as child window opened and name given to the child window can not be tracked because each will be having a different name, and I am using 70 to...

Frame.dll keeps popping up [ 6 Answers ]

Every time I start or restart the computer, a window opens indicating "frame.dll not located" This just started about a week ago. It doesn't appear to affect anything, but I have to keep clicking until it goes away. I use Firefox, if that makes a difference. Any help would be appreciated. Thank...

Install molding over window frame into sheetrock [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to install trim molding around a window frame on the drywall or sheetrock. Should I use finishing nails and should I also glue the trim too?

.net frame work 1.1 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I was about to install TOAD software which is almost like a database . N my problem is when I double click on .exe file it says that you should have .NET FRAME WORK VER 1.1 . So can u give me the exact link where you can download .NET FRAME WORK VER 1.1 . So that it will be helpful for me:(

View more questions Search