Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    net2tanz Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 19, 2008, 12:58 AM
    Ammonia Spike in an Established Brackish Fish Tank
    I recently experienced an ammonia spike in established tank of six years. I have done several water changes, added an ammonia lock and ammonia removal in my filter system and still the ammonia is in a toxic range. Can anyone help please? In my tank I have a large silver scat, a green scat, 2 Malayan angel fish, 2 black tipped sharks, a bala shark, a redtailed shark, 2yo-yo botia, a blue modesta botia, and a white severum.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 01:10 AM
    Hi, net2tanz!

Greetings and WELCOME to the site! I just re-worded your question a bit so that it would attract more attention to those that know about such things as you are asking, and moved it from Introductions to this topic area so that it would get the most exposure to those who are best able to answer it. Introductions is for people to introduce themselves and we try to not ask questions there.

We would appreciate it if you would return to Introductions sometime to tell us a little about yourself though, if you would be willing to do that.

Thanks!

Jun 19, 2008, 01:17 AM
    Thank very much I appreciate your help
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 01:26 AM
    You're very welcome! Someone will be along eventually who will have knowledge about what you are asking. Or, who could research the problem; how to solve it and get back to you.

I do know that there are a number of persons on this site who are really into fish keeping in various ways. However, please do realize that the most qualified ones who can address your question might not be logged in right now, and may even be asleep.

Sometimes, it does take a bit of patience to use this site. But, the results in being patient in awaiting answers can be great!
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 09:18 PM
    The best thing to do when you have a fully stocked aquarium and something happens to the cycle to cause a spike in ammonia or nitrite levels is to use bottled bacteria like active Biospira or inactive Cycle. Both products will keep the toxic levels low and quickly reestablish the aquariums cycle.

Can you think of anything that might have cause this? A change of something, gravel cleaning, large water and filter change at the same time, anything?

Jun 20, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Thank you I also found out about the bacteria. The ammonia is still up a bit but better. The spike was caused by me over cleaning the filters and the tank. Too much to quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ammonia to high in my tank. Fish laboring to breath. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello... I have a 55 gal. tank that I recently purchased moving up from an old 30 gal. and I have about 14 African Cichlids... some that were born in my old tank. When I first set up this tank all went really well and the fish were doing amazing... and with little maintenance. I have two large...

Freshwater Fish Tank had ammonia,nitrites,ammonia again! [ 2 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can tell me what is going on. I unfortunately bought a new 33 gallon tank almost 6 weeks ago and the next day bought some fish. (1 Heroes Notatus(South American Cichlid), A Raphael Catfish, 6 Neon Tetras, 3 Glass Catfish and a goby Dragon) If I knew then what I know now then I...

Ammonia in freshwater 35 gallon tank [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I'm new at this and just got my 36 gallon aquarium may 1st this year Everything was fine until last week a fish got ick so I treated the tank... opps forgot to remove filters... so now my ammonia is high. My small test kit it says orange but I put in stresszime ( by their request) its...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

Cloudy fish tank [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought my fish tank 2 days ago I feed them very little in the morn. And very little at night... I use bottled water that they gave me at the store with the fish... yesterday morning the tank was cloudy I can't even see half of the fish only when they come to the front... what seemd to...

View more questions Search