Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    askme1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2006, 03:07 PM
    What type of Baseboards heaters to get?
    Hi,

I need some assistance as to what kind of basebaord heaters to get in terms of voltage 120v or 240v, hydronics or others, commercial/residential, brand type? What are the pros and cons of each?

I have a 110 electrical circuit breaker box.

Thanks in advance for you help!
    Matt
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2006, 04:48 PM
    Can you provide more info as to what you are planning to do? It would help better to decide what to tell you. You asked for the complete unabridged history of electric heat, and there is a lot to go over.

Simple answer is, for basic residential work:
    Be sure you have 240 volts at the panel.120 volt heaters of any good size need too many circuits ,and are not practical beyond a couple of units.

What size amp service do you have? How many spaces are there in the panel?EBH eats up power and space in a panel quickly.

Commercial units are too costly to purchase for homes.

All the resi brands are made the same.

Liquid filled units are costly to purchase, but are great energy savers, and a payback on investment can be realize in a few yrs.
    askme1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2006, 07:02 AM
    Hi,

I have a triplex apartment building and planning to convert gas heat into electric heat so each unit can pay its own separate utilities. The units are two 1-bedroom and one 2-bedroom units. I assume baseboard heat is the best option for this?

I'm not sure how to read the amount of amp on the box but was told it was 100 Amp... please inform me on how to read the amount of amperage and available space.

Thanks for your help!
    Matt
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2006, 07:35 AM
    You need to do more research to determine if you have the capacity to add electric heat to each apartment.

Need to know the size of the main service entrance, and the size of service for each apt.. Each panel is labeled with its amp rating, however, the feeder may be smaller. For example you may see 100 amps on each panel, but the breaker feeding each panel may be smaller.

You need to look at the breakers feeding each apt panel. The main incoming maybe ore difficuit for you to tell the size.

I do not believe that you have an electric service that can handle the addedload of electric heat.

Can you provide more info on what you have, even provide pictures, and I may be able to help you determine the size service you have.

And then, you will need to size up how much heat each apt will need. This can get complicated, so more info you can provide, such as sq ft of the apts and building can help. There are too many variables to go over without knowing more.

What state are you in? Are you planning to do this work yourself?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 baseboard heaters, 2 thermostats [ 5 Answers ]

I have ran a 12/2 up to a point where I want to power two 1500 (240v) watt baseboard heaters each running off a separate thermostat. Each heater will heat a separate room. I have double-pole wall-mount thermostats. Do I split my 12/2 and go to the thermostats or is there another way this should...

Tankless water heaters worth it? [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings all. I'm wondering what your expert opinions are of tankless "on-demand" water heaters (for the whole house). I found some supposedly new ones on EBay for about $750 (natural gas) and would do the installation myself. But I've never lived in a house that had one, and wanted to know if...

Baseboard heaters [ 12 Answers ]

Hi all.. New to the forum.. Thanks in advance for any help.. I am trying to set up new baseboard heating in my basement.. My questions are to what size breakers to use and if I can put it all on one circuit.. I want to set up 3 rooms: Room 1 - 2 1000 watt heaters Room 2 & 3 - 1 1500 watt...

Installing new wall heaters [ 16 Answers ]

We currently have radiant heat. We must change over to electric wall heaters. My question spans the installation of the new heaters and if it is possible to use the existing wiring without rewiring and tearing into the sheetrock. I have outlined what we want to do. Any input as to if this is...

No heat in bedroom baseboards [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new Peerless hot water boiler. Have a single zone system which now provides plenty of heat to lower half of house, the upstairs bedrooms of this split level house has no heat. I installed a bleeder valve in one of the bedroom base boards and bled the system there until water started...

View more questions Search