Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 09:17 PM
    Parakeet eggs not hatching.
    My Ringneck Parakeets are sitting on eggs laid in May. The first egg appeared May 10th. Should I remove the eggs? What is the best way to do this? (Well, I know, just reach in there and take them... ) SQUAWK!
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 19, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Does your bird have exposure to sunlight? Birds have a gland in their head that is sensitive to sunlight/length of day. Eggs laid before the spring equinox are usually not fertile eggs the same with a bird that lives indoors. I would give it a little longer just to be sure. She will eventually get tired of setting on her eggs if they are not hatching and abandon the nest or you could just put her in a separate cage for a day or two with food and water then return her after you remove the eggs. We sometimes give a setting hen a few pretty round stones "nest eggs" for her amusement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Parakeet with lead poisoning? [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: Hey everyone!I'm dealing with a serious situation. I have two parakeets, a girl and a boy. However I never raised parakeets before and I'm concerned because not only have my birds been fighting every five seconds but my girl parakeet turned black the other day and then green again. Also...

Hatching chicken eggs [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hatch chicken eggs without a incuabator, I have read that you stop turning them on the 18th day, does anyone know why you do this?

Parakeet beak really dark? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a parakeet I'm not sure how old she is I have had her for about 3 years but I recently got a puppy I have had him for 4 months and I always have to focus my time on the puppy I mean I play with the parakeet but not as much at the puppy... but I just noticed that her beak is turning really...

Budgie (parakeet) breeding [ 2 Answers ]

Does a pair of parakeet need to be in a nesting box in order to breed?

Not sure what is wrong with my parakeet? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a parakeet that has been just laying around on the bottom of his cage today. I noticed when he finally got up onto his perch that his right foot is stiff. I'm worried because my last parakeet just laid around on the bottom of the cage before he died, but he didn't have a stiff foot. ...

View more questions Search