Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roxntreez Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Banks getting away with theft?
    I am aware that Banks have created legal policies which allow them to suck every penny they can from their customers. Again, I know in most cases its legal. My question is can a bank take until noon the next business day (after an electronic withdrawl hits) to decide whether to pay it. All the while showing it as having overdrawn my account. And if their stated policy is to wait until the last minute the following day before deciding not to pay it, are they entitled to bounce the checks and charge the fees that would have been covered had they immediately decided not to pay it and put the amount back into the account? And if all of the above, which while potentially being legal, is certainly disgusting; can they then, after waiting until noon on the next business day to decide not to pay the item, hold your money yet another 24 hours allowing checks to continue to bounce (and fees to be charged) Thereby having held $490 as unavailable Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and posting it (the original withdrawl)as having not been paid Wednesday but with Mondays date? Is it too much to hope that the corporations that have taken over running the government and writing the rules for Congress can be brought to account (pardon the pun) for their deceptive practices. Any help would be appreciated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Yes, they may take time to decide to pay or not pay, and they also pay out the largest item first before the others, and always take out before adding the depoisits.

But to be honest, if a person has a balanced check book, and never spends more or writes more money out of their acccounts this will never happen. If there was not enough money in an account, for just the one withdraw, why would someone think there is money for the withdraw plus all of the other checks.

Plus these are merely fees they charge
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Banks aren't getting away with theft. You are not keeping accurate records of what monies you have available in your bank account. Something similar happened to me. I went to the bank and the branch manager and she went over a print out of my account showing the date and time each check was presented at the bank for payment. My bank paid each check in the order it was received. It also credited my deposit in order as well. I had miscalculated and I am the one who made the error. I had forgotten to deduct a check I had written and that made my account overdrawn.

You could possibly ask for such a print out showing in what order everything was received and paid out in your account and see if you had made some sort of a mistake in your calculations.

Jun 18, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes, they may take time to decide to pay or not pay, and they also pay out the largest item first before the others, and alwyas take out before adding the depoisits.

But to be honest, if a person has a balanced check book, and never spends more or writes more money out of their acccounts this will never happen. If there was not enough money in an account, for just the one withdraw, why would someone think there is money for the withdraw plus all of the other checks.

Plus these are merely fees they charge
    So let me see if I understand: As long as I never have an error or make a mistake, I will avoid the disingenuous "favor" the bank is doing me by paying out the largest item first thereby causing multiple overdraft fees on the smaller items which all equaled less than the one large item. Example. 1 automated withdrawl of $500 paid on the same day but ahead of 7 smaller items totaling less than $500 causing the next 7 to bounce. Ah, but that's right, I should be punished financially, to the tune of $210 for my grievous error and besides I am sure it must have taken the bank completely by surprise costing them at least that much to figure out all the paperwork.

Jun 18, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    Banks aren't getting away with theft. You are not keeping accurate records of what monies you have available in your bank account. Something similar happened to me. I went to the bank and the branch manager and she went over a print out of my account showing the date and time each check was presented at the bank for payment. My bank paid each check in the order it was received. It also credited my deposit in order as well. I had miscalculated and I am the one who made the error. I had forgotten to deduct a check I had written and that made my account overdrawn.

You could possibly ask for such a print out showing in what order everything was received and paid out in your account and see if you had made some sort of a mistake in your calculations.
    Thank you for your response. I don't believe I communicated my issue as simply as was needed. I am aware that I made the original error. I am aware that there are and should be penalties. My question was about the specific timing and its obvious effects on incoming items. To agree that my error makes it appropriate for the bank to confiscate my funds for up to 72 hours, 24 hours after they decided they were not going to pay out the item, to me suggests a confidence in a for profit institution that I can not share. But thank you anyway for your response.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 07:54 PM
    The banks, in many cases are struggling to make ends meet. They find ways to do this at our expense, legally. Just don't ever, ever give them the chance again. If having a $1000 pad in your account is what it takes, do it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Hello ron:

Banks don't make money on checking accounts - even the ones that AREN'T free, and most of 'em are free these days. They earn their money on fees. They are closely regulated, and they don't do anything that isn't governed by law or isn't covered in their agreement with you.

So, they didn't "decide" to do anything in your case. They just did what banks do and made a few bucks. You certainly gave them the opportunity, and I promise you, you signed an agreement giving them permission to do exactly what they did.

However, if you're a good customer, you can certainly ask for the fees back. If the bank thinks you're a good customer, they'll do it.

excon

Jun 19, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello ron:

Banks don't make money on checking accounts - even the ones that AREN'T free, and most of 'em are free these days. They earn their money on fees. They are closely regulated, and they don't do anything that isn't governed by law or isn't covered in their agreement with you.

So, they didn't "decide" to do anything in your case. They just did what banks do and made a few bucks. You certainly gave them the opportunity, and I promise you, you signed an agreement giving them permission to do exactly what they did.

However, if you're a good customer, you can certainly ask for the fees back. If the bank thinks your a good customer, they'll do it.

excon
    Thank you for your input. As it happens Commerce Bank allows its branch managers to determine whether to pay or not to pay items greater than your available balance. As to the logic that because a business is closely regulated and "doesn't do anything that isn't governed by law" I am sure that the folks who invested in Enron, Worldcom, Tyco and Global Crossing would disagree.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2008, 06:53 AM
    The problem here is you are looking at this from the wrong angle. By holding up the payment, they were probably trying to give you time to make good on it. They may have figured that a deposit was coming on or that you were monitoring your account and would deposit the money needed.

But I also agree with the others. In these days of electronic banking, its easy to keep tabs on your account and not let this happen. Of apply for overdraft privileges. I have an overdraft line of credit. So If I do make a mistake, the only cost is a small amount of interest.

Jun 19, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    The banks, in many cases are struggling to make ends meet. They find ways to do this at our expense, legally. Just don't ever, ever give them the chance again. If having a $1000 pad in your account is what it takes, do it.
    I must say I am quite surprised by the responses I am getting in this forum. Given all that has happened in the last, oh... say... 7 and two thirds years, all the corporate scandals, political scandals, and out and out fraud, that people have such faith in the banking industry. As it happens "Commercial banks and savings institutions insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) reported net income of $19.3 billion in the first quarter of 2008, a decline of $16.3 billion (45.7 percent) from the $35.6 billion that the industry earned in the first quarter of 2007. In releasing the latest results, the FDIC cited higher provisions for loan losses as the primary reason for the drop in industry profits..." 35.6 billion in profits had they not participate in the "legal" sub-prime mortgage business. Banks are not "struggling to make ends meet" they are attempting to make a profit any way they can at the consumers expense with no regard for the impact on the individual, the nation, or the world.
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by roxntreez
    I am sure that the folks who invested in Enron, Worldcom, Tyco and Global Crossing would disagree.
    Hello again, rox:

They were crooks. If you think your bank is crooked, call the cops. But, you don't think that, do you? You just want to blame them for your mistake.

excon
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 07:05 AM
    The devils in the details... its all right there in your fee schedule and rules of application. Obviously you'd prefer the least damaging action, but I don't expect a bank manager to get on the phone and call me up, inform me of my deficit, discuss what bills should be paid and which shouldn't. Itd be nice, but it just isn't reality.

Short answer, as you know, is you made the mistake and you agreed to the potential for these exact fees by doing business with them. If you think they are bleeding you unfairly, move your business. A painful lesson, for sure.

As a small business owner I've had people pass me bad checks for items they have in their possession. I can walk away from it, try to get that money back, or try to get that money back and returned check fees by jumping though hoops. If I pursue the harshest route, its all within the law. My right.

Years ago in college I had a few checks bounce and it was an ugly cascade effect, not unlike yours. Three checks would have cleared, leaving one big one denied... instead the big one was paid and I was hit with four fees... one for the paid check and three for the denied. Hard lesson learned. My fault, their prerogative and right.

Jun 19, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    The problem here is you are looking at this from the wrong angle. By holding up the payment, they were probably trying to give you time to make good on it. They may have figured that a deposit was coming on or that you were monitoring your account and would deposit the money needed.

But I also agree with the others. In these days of electronic banking, its easy to keep tabs on your account and not let this happen. Of apply for overdraft priveleges. I have an overdraft line of credit. So If I do make a mistake, the only cost is a small amount of interest.
    Thank you Scott, I refer you to my response to simoneaugie I agree that their stated intent is to give me time to "make good on it" The problem is: Why after I "made good on it" the same day, they determined not to pay it, did my account balance reflect it having been paid for the next 24 hours?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 07:11 AM
    They earn their money on fees.
    Just as a slight correction: they make most of their money on the interest they make on your money. You give them your money, they loan it out to others. You get 1.5% interest, they loan it out at 7% interest.

Jun 19, 2008, 07:12 AM
    Hello again, rox:

They were crooks. If you think your bank is crooked, call the cops. But, you don't think that, do ya? You just want to blame them for your mistake.

excon
    Actually, when one has an issue with the actions of a commercial institution, one does not just "call the cops". I do believe they are crooked, I have filed a complaint with the FDIC and I had hoped to get some intelligent feedback from this website.
    As for wanting to "blame someone for my mistake" If that is the best "advice" you have to offer, I would ask that you keep your input to yourself. It is not thoughtful nor helpful.

Jun 19, 2008, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    the devils in the details... its all right there in your fee schedule and rules of application. obviously youd prefer the least damaging action, but i dont expect a bank manager to get on the phone and call me up, inform me of my deficit, discuss what bills should be paid and which shouldnt. itd be nice, but it just isnt reality.

short answer, as you know, is you made the mistake and you agreed to the potential for these exact fees by doing business with them. if you think they are bleeding you unfairly, move your business. a painful lesson, for sure.

as a small business owner ive had people pass me bad checks for items they have in their posession. i can walk away from it, try to get that money back, or try to get that money back and returned check fees by jumping though hoops. if i pursue the harshest route, its all within the law. my right.

years ago in college i had a few checks bounce and it was an ugly cascade effect, not unlike yours. three checks would have cleared, leaving one big one denied... instead the big one was paid and i was hit with four fees... one for the paid check and three for the denied. hard lesson learned. my fault, their prerogative and right.
    Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I agree with 99% of what you are saying. I know I made the mistake. I know and expect to pay a penalty. I know and understand it is the banks right to clear checks in whichever order they see fit. The 1% difference is in the banks holding my funds as unavailable for another 24 hours after deciding on day 2 not to pay the item, in spite of a deposit covering everything and then some on the same day as their decision not to pay.
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 07:22 AM
    I would ask that you keep your input to yourself. It is not thoughtful nor helpful.
    Hello again, rox:

Sorry, dude. You're not the only one here who can rant... I'll be as unthoughtful and as unhelpful as I choose to be.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 08:12 AM
    I must say I am quite surprised by the responses I am getting in this forum. Given all that has happened in the last, oh...say...7 and two thirds years, all the corporate scandals, political scandals, and out and out fraud, that people have such faith in the banking industry. As it happens "Commercial banks and savings institutions insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) reported net income of $19.3 billion in the first quarter of 2008, a decline of $16.3 billion (45.7 percent) from the $35.6 billion that the industry earned in the first quarter of 2007. In releasing the latest results, the FDIC cited higher provisions for loan losses as the primary reason for the drop in industry profits..." 35.6 billion in profits had they not participate in the "legal" sub-prime mortgage business. Banks are not "struggling to make ends meet" they are attempting to make a profit any way they can at the consumers expense with no regard for the impact on the individual, the nation, or the world.

If the attitude and sarcasm you have displayed on this thread are the same attitude (and sarcasm) you displayed with the Bank I understand their reluctance to work with you, explain this, work it out.

You aren't here for advice; you're here to argue. Wrong forum. Try political or banking or some other forum.

Legally you're out of gas - and this is a legal board.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2008, 08:19 AM
    The problem is: Why after I "made good on it" the same day, they determined not to pay it, did my account balance reflect it having been paid for the next 24 hours?
    What was the form of this deposit? Did it need time to clear?

Jun 19, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    If the attitude and sarcasm you have displayed on this thread are the same attitude (and sarcasm) you displayed with the Bank I understand their reluctance to work with you, explain this, work it out.

You aren't here for advice; you're here to argue. Wrong forum. Try political or banking or some other forum.

Legally you're out of gas - and this is a legal board.
    Actually, I was here for advice. My sarcasm would not be possible had the responses to my question been intelligent well reasoned. I believe several of the responders did not read my question in its entirety or were unable to comprehend my meaning. Instead it was asserted that because I made a mistake, which I admitted to repeatedly, that the "saintly" financial institutions should be absolved of ANY potential wrong doing even to the extent that they may have made an error. It is not that I am not, or should I say, was not here for advice, it is apparently "in poor taste" to disagree with a response from the so called "Real Expert" that the site purports to have at the ready. Were I to hold myself out as the "Real Expert" and provide "advice" that is neither helpful or relevant, I would expect to be challenged on it. There are real people who find this site and believe that they may be helped by it. To come on and be criticised for the mistake which led to the question that I wanted advice on, which is summarily dismissed in favor of inaccurate interpretations that allow for these criticisms is in my opinion worthy of a little sarcasm.

As for your assertion that this is the wrong forum, I couldn't agree with you more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

REO Banks [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a Real Estate Agent, and a pretty good one too, but I am trying to break into the REO bank owned properties so that I can work for various lending institutions and list and sell bank owned property. Can anyone tell me if there is a list of who's who and how I go about getting that list and...

Frauds in banks [ 1 Answers ]

Tell me about any fraud, briefly.

Banks transfer [ 1 Answers ]

I have two checking accounts one of them is under my name only which I open more than 6 years ago and then I have another checking I am the secondary and my boyfriend is the primary which we open like 4 years ago. My cousin's account has been negative so the bank went into my checking account and...

Banks garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I open a checking account not a line of credit with a bank and someone order student visa under my account info and ran it up to over ten thousand dollar. Currently, I am disputing it because one I didn't do it. My question is, since the debt is so much can they garnish my income tax? Also, the...

View more questions Search