Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roxntreez Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    What was the form of this deposit? Did it need time to clear?
    It was cash. The receipt shows the deposit at 2:59pm and an available balance of the deposit minus the item they decided not to pay 2 hours and 59 minutes earlier.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by roxntreez
    Actually, I was here for advice. My sarcasm would not be possible had the responses to my question been intelligent well reasoned. I believe several of the responders did not read my question in its entirety or were unable to comprehend my meaning. Instead it was asserted that because I made a mistake, which I admitted to repeatedly, that the "saintly" financial institutions should be absolved of ANY potential wrong doing even to the extent that they may have made an error. It is not that I am not, or should I say, was not here for advice, it is apparently "in poor taste" to disagree with a response from the so called "Real Expert" that the site purports to have at the ready. Were I to hold myself out as the "Real Expert" and provide "advice" that is neither helpful or relevant, I would expect to be challenged on it. There are real people who find this site and believe that they may be helped by it. To come on and be criticised for the mistake which led to the question that I wanted advice on, which is summarily dismissed in favor of inaccurate interpretations that allow for these criticisms is in my opinion worthy of a little sarcasm.

As for your assertion that this is the wrong forum, I couldn't agree with you more.

OK, without the sarcasm we're on the same page. Not defending anyone including myself but it's very difficult to give straight up legal advice without the "I told you so" tag line. I've done it myself. Keep in mind that hundreds of questions are posted every day and a whole lot of them - not saying you are in this category - are the poster's own fault. The "I ran up a debt of $5,000 and I can't afford it and the mean credit card company is trying to collect, what should I do" sort of stuff. And people, experts or not, are simply trying to help - we all step on each other's toes and the toes of posters all the time.

Again - well, maybe that is a defense (however weak) of sorts.

I don't know if this has anything to with anything but my bank gives me a receipt (and my on line balance in my checking account shows) funds on deposit, funds available. The "on deposit" amount includes checks which haven't cleared, unverified deposits. Obviously the "available" amount is "good" money.

Also a side note but the person I often partner with made an ATM deposit of a check and cash combination - deposit never showed up, bank never could find it, his print out wasn't worth the paper it was printed on and - again, too late here - since walking through that with him I have never made an ATM deposit.

Other than that short of negotiating with the bank - and it sounds like you've tried - I have no ideas for you other than the Banking Commission for your State.

Am I missing something in the chain of what happened? No problem being corrected if I have.

If you are in the mood for a somewhat humorous bank story which may explain why you are so frustrated - my husband passed away recently; I notified the bank (with which we also have a credit card) and furnished them with a copy of his Death Certificate in order to take his name off the accounts and charge accounts. In response I got a form letter addressed to him advising that they had received and reviewed his documents and increasing his line of credit by $8,000.
    roxntreez Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    OK, without the sarcasm we're on the same page. Not defending anyone including myself but it's very difficult to give straight up legal advice without the "I told you so" tag line. I've done it myself. Keep in mind that hundreds of questions are posted every day and a whole lot of them - not saying you are in this category - are the poster's own fault. The "I ran up a debt of $5,000 and I can't afford it and the mean credit card company is trying to collect, what should I do" sort of stuff. And people, experts or not, are simply trying to help - we all step on each other's toes and the toes of posters all the time.

Again - well, maybe that is a defense (however weak) of sorts.

I don't know if this has anything to with anything but my bank gives me a receipt (and my on line balance in my checking account shows) funds on deposit, funds available. The "on deposit" amount includes checks which haven't cleared, unverified deposits. Obviously the "available" amount is "good" money.

Also a side note but the person I often partner with made an ATM deposit of a check and cash combination - deposit never showed up, bank never could find it, his print out wasn't worth the paper it was printed on and - again, too late here - since walking through that with him I have never made an ATM deposit.

Other than that short of negotiating with the bank - and it sounds like you've tried - I have no ideas for you other than the Banking Commission for your State.

Am I missing something in the chain of what happened? No problem being corrected if I have.

If you are in the mood for a somewhat humorous bank story which may explain why you are so frustrated - my husband passed away recently; I notified the bank (with which we also have a credit card) and furnished them with a copy of his Death Certificate in order to take his name off the accounts and charge accounts. In response I got a form letter addressed to him advising that they had received and reviewed his documents and increasing his line of credit by $8,000.
    Thank you. Both for the substance and the humor. I think it is highly unlikely that what the bank did was illegal. It is only because the last part of the equation, that being: keeping the funds unavailable for an additional 24 hours, is just so incomprehensible to me that I had to look into it. I did file a complaint with the FDIC and I was attempting to get others opinions as to whether I should delve further into the matter. It seemed that I was being responded to as though it was an issue of cashing the larger check first or having the right to decide whether to pay the item out or just that I shouldn't have erred in the first place. Only one or to people asked about the real issue. I will however admit to being somewhat overly sarcastic at times when I feel I am under attack. Thank you for your reply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

REO Banks [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a Real Estate Agent, and a pretty good one too, but I am trying to break into the REO bank owned properties so that I can work for various lending institutions and list and sell bank owned property. Can anyone tell me if there is a list of who's who and how I go about getting that list and...

Frauds in banks [ 1 Answers ]

Tell me about any fraud, briefly.

Banks transfer [ 1 Answers ]

I have two checking accounts one of them is under my name only which I open more than 6 years ago and then I have another checking I am the secondary and my boyfriend is the primary which we open like 4 years ago. My cousin's account has been negative so the bank went into my checking account and...

Banks garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I open a checking account not a line of credit with a bank and someone order student visa under my account info and ran it up to over ten thousand dollar. Currently, I am disputing it because one I didn't do it. My question is, since the debt is so much can they garnish my income tax? Also, the...

View more questions Search