Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dellicate Posts: 104, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Ants invading my white birch tree
    Ants are crawling all over the tree. I sprinkled some cinnamin on some of the tree. The tree guy told me to sprinkle something around the bottom of the tree from the dollar store... and I forgot the name. I don't want to harm the birds, just the ants... any more suggestions? And does cinnamin really work? Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Diamataceous earth works really well around any plant or tree or bush you don't want bugs on that eat the leaves. You can't get it at the hardware store and is good for slugs. It chops there little legs right off. No actually, it is very scientific. It is a powder that gardeners have been using for years and is not harmful to the environment because it is pulverized rock.
    dellicate Posts: 104, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Yes, I know about diamataceous earth, I still have some to prevent fleas in the house. I just don't know how safe it is around birds and it is rather expensive but worth giving it a try... thanks for your help. Great advise. The thing won't let me rate you because you answered a previous question for me. But I do agree, your answer is accurate.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 20, 2008, 09:31 AM
    A granular insecticide in a ring about 1ft diam around tree may help. There's no evidence proper use harms birds, and such small surface & amt would mean little chance bird exposure. A residual spray around btm few ft trunk also not harm any but ants. BTW, diatomaceous earth is made up of shells of marine creatures. It works as insecticide because it's abrasive to insect bodies and cuts dry them out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Best time to transplant a Crimson river birch tree? [ 4 Answers ]

I planted my Crimson Frost river birch in the swale in my back yard and it gets too much water. I need to move it up the hill just a bit and need to know when is the best time to transplant it. We live in Wentzville, MO.

Crown pruning a birch tree? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a large (50-60 foot) birch tree on the southeast corner of my lot. It origionally had three trunks. I cut off the smallest (10" in diameter) last year as it grew out horizontally from the ground and was starting to block the dirveway. Now I have a 16" trunk and a 24" trunk that start...

In "The Syringa Tree" : meaning of white spots on fingers [ 1 Answers ]

What is folkyore meaning of the cresents or white spots on fingers

Smell Invading Home [ 2 Answers ]

We moved into our 35 year old house 3 years ago. Ever since we moved in, we have experienced and suffered from a rotten egg type smell intermittently. Sometimes we can go a month without smelling it, other times we smell it for three days in a row. We can't locate the source as it quickly...

View more questions Search