Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debyrenee Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Jun 18, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Power strip with garage refrigerator
    I have a Kenmore refrigerator that I have in the garage, freezer on the bottom about 6 years old. The cord is very short, can I plug it into a power strip with a reset switch and be OK?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 02:49 PM
    No problem.

The power strip will actually protect the unit in case of any power surge, assuming that it is in good working condition.

Just be careful where you position the strip so that the reset/power switch on it can't accidentally be turned off, giving you milk shakes instead of ice cream!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 04:31 PM
    I'd suggest a heavy duty appliance extension cords for such things as air conditioners.

It will prevent the accidental hitting of the off switch on the power strip.
    dragon5126 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 10:47 PM
    Comment on KISS's post
    Should also note that this is the only acceptable way to extend a refrigerator power cord
    dragon5126 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 10:51 PM
    Power strips are not made to handle the electrical requirements of a refrigerator. The only SAFE and accepted (per fire codes) way to extend a refridgerators power cord is with a heavy duty single outlet appliance extension cord of the MINIMUM length to reach the wall outlet.
    adeba Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 10:27 AM
    Had not heard of Major Appliance Extension Cords - is this really the best way? I have a dedicated line on my third floor so the boarder can have a small frig, micro & elec range. Would like to position the frig further away, had a feeling loading up a power bar wasn't a good idea, but had no idea there was an alternative. This is really more compliant with codes?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Building a Custom Power Strip [ 12 Answers ]

Here’s what I want to do: I am basically making my own power strip. I want to control each outlet with its own switch. I want to use an extension cord for my wiring by pulling out the wire. What do I run to each screw? Please see the pictures for the details. If the pictures are confusing, let...

Running power to garage and continuing the power to a cabin later. [ 4 Answers ]

I'm building a garage this year and a cabin in the following years and I need to run power to the garage before building it. The service is about 60 feet away from the main breaker location and when I build the cabin, I would like to be able to continue the power from the garage to the cabin (120...

New garage power [ 11 Answers ]

Well I spent all my money building a new detached garage in my backyard. Of course I pulled the permit myself and trusted some of the concerns to be dealt with by subs. I had the plumber run me an under ground line for the power when they ran the sewer to the garage. Anyway the line was only...

I need power in garage [ 6 Answers ]

What is the cheapest solution to power my council garage, which will contain: 2 technics 1210 decks 1 standard mixer 1 amp 2 speakers 1 computer 1 monitor 1 modem

Power to garage [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently looking to run electrical to my garage. I live in Minneapolis, Mn. I have heard numerous ways in which to accomplish this but thought I would ask hear for some further advise? I would also like to put in two outside outlets with boxes and possibly lighting above the boxes in the...

View more questions Search