Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashycoco Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Jun 18, 2008, 11:35 AM
    How to Convince parents to allow a tongue piercing ?
    Hey!
    Im 16... and I want to get mi tongue pierced
    BUT
    My parents disagree with this idea.. please help me with some tactics and arguments to make them see that tongue piercings aren't actully that bad..

Please help because your only young once and with the way things are going my parents won't let me get it pierced until I'm old and I won't want it as much then!

Thanks
    :D
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 01:36 PM
    I just don't get this whole piercing thing, sorry, I find it totally disgusting.

When I was young, the only way you got a fish hook in your lip was if your brother didn't look where he was casing his line, now days, I see 10 to 20 young people a day, with a fish hook through their lip, their eyebrow, even through their noses.

And you, want a mini trailer hitch in your tongue? WHY?

Don't you know how it sounds, when you talk or eat, and that thing click clacks against your teeth, oh my God, it make my stomach queasy just thinking about it.

Your parents are right.

NO TONGUE PIERCING, PLEASE!!

Not to mention, some of these pierced, tattooed, young people are starting to get a little older now. I've seen several posts here, from them, wondering why in the world they are having such a hard time finding a decent job?

Enough Said.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 18, 2008, 01:44 PM
    I never personally wanted one, so I never researched it, but if you want to come up with arguments for it, find some articles for it on the web. I tend to agree with progunr, but it is your life. If all else fails, in two years what they say won't matter. If you're talking about waiting until you're "old" and won't want it as much as in when you're 18, then maybe you shouldn't get one now anyway if in 2 years you won't want it.

Jun 18, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr
    I just don't get this whole piercing thing, sorry, I find it totally disgusting.

When I was young, the only way you got a fish hook in your lip was if your brother didn't look where he was casing his line, now days, I see 10 to 20 young people a day, with a fish hook through their lip, their eyebrow, even through their noses.

And you, want a mini trailer hitch in your tongue? WHY?

Don't you know how it sounds, when you talk or eat, and that thing click clacks against your teeth, oh my God, it make my stomach queasy just thinking about it.

Your parents are right.

NO TONGUE PIERCING, PLEASE!!!

Not to mention, some of these pierced, tattooed, young people are starting to get a little older now. I've seen several posts here, from them, wondering why in the world they are having such a hard time finding a decent job?

Enough Said.

I can see where your coming from... and I agree with your statement somewhat. I know that's your opinion and I appreciate it. But il just answer you questions as practice for when it comes to the discussion with my parents. You don't have to read this if you don't want to because I'm not actually aiming this at you for argument sake, just for practice :D Thanks!

Im not at the stage in my life when I need a job though, but when I get to that stage I could easily take it out and look as if I never had the piercing in the first place.

Your asking why anyone would want it... and yes you do damage your teeth with a metal barbell but a rubber barbell can be inserted, and this does not damage enamel in the slightest.
    Its like asking "why do people wear earrings".. it's the same procedure and finishing result but in the tongue. They both are mutilation to the body (as my dad says,lol) And I do not know any girl who doesn't have there ears pierced... if I asked why did they get there ears pierced, they can't tell me exactly why either. Other then "everyone else did it so why wouldn't I"
    Or its like make up.. why do we wear make up.. its all to do with the look or reputation we want at that current time. This reputation or look can easily be altered by adding something else to the look or taking something away.

Tattoos on the other hand I have to totally agree with you, they are permanent(unless you want to go through a painful ordeal removing them,or spend your time covering them up).

But the tongue piercing is not permanent and is no harm to people my age who just want to create an image for their youth, and when the times comes to smarten up it can easily be removed
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 03:20 PM
    I want to point out two things, a tongue piercing and ear piercing are not the same procedure. I'm sorry, two very different ones. And it IS permanent, you can take the piercing out but there will still be a hole for a very long time, and could potentially damage taste buds if done incorrectly (even by the most experienced piercer). If these are the arguments that you are planning to use with your parents, I would reconsider.

I can see why they wouldn't allow you to do this, they probably think that it has a sexual connection, which a lot of the times is the reason for that particular piercing.

Like it was suggested before I think you should read some online arguments.
    Vision Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 03:20 PM
    But the tongue piercing is not permanent and is no harm to people my age who just want to create an image for their youth, and when the times comes to smarten up it can easily be removed-----

So you agree its not smart?

Jun 18, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    But the tongue piercing is not permanent and is no harm to people my age who just want to create an image for their youth, and when the times comes to smarten up it can easily be removed-----

So you agree its not smart?

Its not smart if I was at the age where having a tongue piercing could effect my life for example; not getting a certain job due to it.

BUT

Im not at the stage of my life where I need to go looking for a job yet

So why worry about it now? its no harm when your 16... is it? And even as you said, I could take the barbell out. The hole will remain,but it won't affect my career etc.

And yes tongue piercings have a certain level of risk factor... but doesn't driving your car also have a risk factor? Crossing a road, walking down a stairs... uck so many things have a risk factor... lifes to short to be getting caught up about it!

Oh and I can assure you "sexual reasons" never even crossed my mind. I must assure my parents that my intentions with a tongue piercing is not for "sexual reasons" but is for an image etc..

Thank you, I'll go look up those argument sites now...
    Vision Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 04:37 PM
    I think you getting a job at this point instead of a piercing might actually be a better idea. A job is not just to earn money. It's to teach you about responsibility.

Yes there are risk factor to things in life that are NECESSARY. Driving, taking stairs, crossing a road are all necessary things in life. Piercing your tongue is not.

Those reasons may not have crossed your mind, but I'm sure they have crossed your parents mind.
    xoxochelseaxoxo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 09:51 AM
    I'm also 16 and want my tongue pierced and my moms okay with it, I just need to convince my dad, but a lot of people I know have their tongues pierced and its not a big deal... they still have jobs and what not. Getting your ears pierced and tongue pierced are 2 totally different things, but your tongue heals just a quick if not quicker than your ears and there won't be a hole in your mouth after. My aunt just took hers out like 2 months ago and there's not sign of ever having her tongue pierced
    sakuma07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 04:48 AM

I can totally see where you are coming from. When I was 16 I wanted one too. Instead I got everything else pierced... until I went to college. Big mistake was to get my tongue pierced. First off, as I read at other comments, yes if you don't have an experienced piercer they could do perm damage to your taste buds. Ive seen infected tongue rings that had a mushroom like bulb above and below... but the worst was the clickling noices that the ring made every time that it hit the back of my teeth. This lead to crazy headaches. After 2 months I removed it and it felt SOO much better. It did leave a scar.
    We can write and wrtie but it seems that you will combat pretty much anything we are going to tell you. I can expect this, I did the same thing. But this is a classic case of "if i knew then, what i know now"
    I agree with your parents, that at 16 you're a little too young. Rest on the idea for at least 2 years and if you want it, do it, but now all you'll be getting is your kicked for not listening to your parents.
    Vision Expert

Sep 5, 2009, 03:29 PM

First off, this is a sexual piercing whether you want to admit ((or know)) that it is. And maybe, just maybe, your parents don't want to think of you as a sexual being.

What purpose would this piercing serve? Does it make you look cool? No, it's annoying. I know a few people that have their tongues pierced and I get annoyed talking to them a lot. It's a stupid piercing ((In my honest, blunt opinion)). Why not your nose? Ears? Cartilage? Belly button? Monroe? Something less tacky.

People DO judge you based on your appearance, and when I see females with tongue piercings I automatically think "whore" or "trashy" or both.

I hope you reconsider. Hey, guess what? When I was 16, I wanted my tongue pierced. Now, I'm 23 and think it's the stupidest thing in the world.
    abake27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 08:05 AM
    Hi.. I'm 13 going to be 14 in a month and I want my tongue pierced for my birthday sooooo bad!! And how I convinced them was to look like you really want this start researching it show them that you know how to clean it and show them its something you really want... you have to tell them want thery want to hear:] I hoped this help

Good luckk!
    l1sa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 07:08 AM
    I got my tongue pierced when I was 16, I have taken it out now as it started to grind on my teeth. But I think if you get it done somewhere clean, professional and trusted, it should be OK. U can take it out at any point and it doesn't leave a hole in your tongue it actually heals pretty quick.
    AHARRAH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2011, 11:34 AM
    You are all fun-sponges. Having a tongue piercing looks ****ing cool and you can just take it out when you don't want it in any longer. Only if you are a knob and never wash it will it get infected so just do what they say and stop being such killjoys. AAHH HAAAATE CHOOOOO ALLLLLLLLLLLL!!
    virginiaVenom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2012, 06:20 PM
    Unlike others ill suggest a good way to try and convince. If in the end she says no then just wait a while (5/6 months) and try this method again. This is how I did it and it worked :)

Wait till you are 16 (uk) or whatever age your state allows you to consent for yourself.

Write up about the peircing you want include:
    How it's done
    What it looks like
    Risks/ cons and provide solutions
    Places that are safe to get it done
    Why you want it.

When you explain why don't EVER use because my friend has it'. Never works.

Explain that you are now of age and have waited a while to get it. Say that you don't want to go behind their back at all. Explain how it is your own body and you want them to respect that and respect the fact you are an individual and have different opinions and views.

Then say that once your tongue is healed, you are willing to wear clear/ retaining bars at places they feel isn't appropriate to have your Tongue bar on display such as a family dinner.

Ask them to think about it and wait at least a week. Drop it into conversation and ask If they have come to a decision and re state that you are your own person and that you feel the need to be able to make decisions. Let them
    Know that if you regret it you can take the peircing out without any consequences.

This worked for me when I wanted my tongue venoms (2 tongue peircings)

If it doesn't work don't cry, scream or whine. It makes you look immature. Just say that you would like them to consider when you could get it or negotiate it as a reward (say for getting a certain grade or passing an exam)

Good luck :)
    n0la Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

May 30, 2012, 11:02 AM
    I know exactly how you feel! My mom doesn't let me have any piercings at all!

I think if you think that you can talk your mom around it then go for it! Keep nagging is better than to just go behind her back, but you have a lot of time when your older to have it done.. and maybe when your older you won't want it done and you will think "thank god I didn't have that done!"
    I was the same when I wanted my lip done, I'm glad I didn't because I wouldn't have it done now!

Good luck, make sure it's really what you want before creating a scene.. there's quite a few risks along the way :/
    bribribear5350 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2012, 06:24 AM
    I want to get my tongue pierced too I'm only 14 though and I am waiting for my 16th birthday. I read the comments and just thought that everyone makes a good point in the argument but everyday we have a risk of dying or what not so why is getting your tongue pierced such a big deal I have been watching girls around 16~17 on YouTube talking about there tongue piercing and one girl stated that when I get older and I have had my tongue pierced its better to have a scar on your tongue where no one can see it unless they actually look at your tongue then having something on your face pierce and always having a scar of where you had a piercing I mean it's a good statement I mean a tongue does have risks and such but its just as bad as any other piercing! I know people who have earings ripped out of their ears and I have heard of just about every other piercing stories and nightmares but the chance of hitting a vein is one in a million! And it should be a piercing that makes you happy and no one else because honestly some people can't even see the piercing so Why make such a big fuss over it? Its just a piercing and every piercing has complications and warnings, almost everything does so why make a big deal over a bar in a tongue?
    eyeshaaaa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2013, 12:54 PM
    I totally understand where everyone is coming from, recommending it not be done, but I just wanted to point out that if someone does decide that they don't want it anymore you won't be stuck with a big hole for a very long time. You're tongue is one of the fastest healing parts of our bodies. Mouth in general. My friend had hers done numerous times and every time it closed up completely within a couple weeks.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2013, 08:57 PM
    Read this to them Tongue Piercing Causes Brain Abscess
    TONGUE PIERCING causing brain abscesses
    RandomHollie Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2013, 09:59 PM
    Get them drunk then ask lol I'm 14 and I've got my tongue done and its fine my mum and dad said it was OK to get it done it dose not hurt getting it pierced its after it swells up its hard to eat for a bit then its OK it does not chip your teeth and when you get the smaller bar put in it it much better and it dose not hurt now at all hope this help if it didn't or you need some help on stuff about the piercing just ask :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tongue piercing.how do I convince my mom [ 66 Answers ]

okay so here's the deal, I'm 14 and my mom let me get my belly button pierced 2 years ago... I personally think piercings are a good way to express yourself.. I would like a tongue piercing and a tattoo maybe a nose piercing just a stud though... I will wait until I'm older for my nose n my tattoo...

How to convince parents to get industrial piercing [ 29 Answers ]

Well ever since my friend convinced me to get the industrial piercing, ITS BEEN ALL I COULD THINK ABOUT. Its driving me crazy and my friend is supposed to get it next month. I'm supposed to go with her. When I first asked my mom she said she would think about it(and I know her, it was more like a...

How to convince my girlfriend parents [ 2 Answers ]

Actually this is very common questionhow can I want to convince my girlfriend parents to accept as there boy for whom they are looking for a girl. My girlfriend is under very tensed position because her parents are not accepting me as rite choice for her

Tongue Piercing, white tongue, ulcer spot? [ 3 Answers ]

Pierced it 5 days ago. Situated in front of the pierced hole, there is what appears to be an 'ulcer' type looking spot. Can anyone shed some light for me please?:(

View more questions Search