Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 18, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Need tips on sticking to a budget
    Anyone have any tips to share on sticking to a budget? We mostly spend too much money at the grocery store. It is so hard to not get that extra bag of chips, and it costs five dollars nowadays! I know the one about eating before you go so you're not hungry. And I take cash but when I get to the checkout I'll use my credit card if it's over what I brought rather than put stuff back.:eek:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 09:19 AM
    It's called will power. LOL, I've been there, done that and got the T-shirt. However, my situation has recently changed.

Now, in all seriousness, plan meals for the week, make a list of what you need for those meals, go around the house and check on supplies, i.e. toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, etc. Get ONLY what is on your list, nothing more. That's where the will power comes in.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Calculator, every item you put in the cart add it up... it takes longer but it is the only way I can stay on budget.

Also making a list beforehand is a good way to stop from throwing those littlle extras in the cart.

But who am I to advise... I spent 170 Friday and on Tues night spent another 97 but I have 3 teenagers.

If you pay 5 bucks for chips... I'm glad I don't live in Orange county. I can get Lays on sale 3 bags for 5 bucks.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Leave your credit card at home. Take only the money you can afford to spend and nothing else. Become a coupon queen and ignore the endcaps at the store. They are usually loaded with nothing but expensive junk food. Treat yourself once in a while, but make sure you budget for it.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 11:50 PM
    Can you own your car outright? As long as it's safe and reliable, pay for what you need, not a lot of luxuries you can't really afford. Same goes for home furnishings and clothes. Keeping your life simple is elegant, and much easier to manage financially :)

Jun 25, 2008, 09:30 AM
    So you are saying if I have to use my credit card... I really can't afford it. I guess that's true. But we always pay the balance off each month, it's easier than keeping track of a lot of little checks or ATM receipts. We own two cars outright and the mortgage is paid off ten years now. We are a retiredcouple trying to live on a fixed income, maybe save a little to pass on to the kids.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wildandblue
    Anyone have any tips to share on sticking to a budget?
    Hello wild:

Of course I do. They're not TIPS, however. They're RULES. Nobody ever got rich off tips. There's only two, and you DON'T break 'em.

Rule 1) Put your savings account at the TOP of your list instead of the bottom. If you put yourself last, you'll never get paid.

Rule 2) Don't buy consumable goods on credit. Otherwise you're paying for that hamburger over ten years or so. Instead of it costing $1.49, it now costs $37.95 if you EVER get it paid off.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2008, 03:08 PM
    I had no idea you were retired! If you already own your home and two cars, you've done really well - way ahead of me!

Jun 26, 2008, 11:33 AM
    It's just a shock to go to the store. I can remember buying chicken legs or wings for 10 cents a pound, a loaf of bread costing a quarter. We are growing a small vegetable garden, have wonderful neighbors who trade what they grow extra for stuff we have. But bad weather like they've had in the midwest US could sink us all real fast. And a one pound bag of chips really does sell for 5 dollars here. And it seems like if I see something at the store that looks like a bargain, a few days later I'll see a recall for that, it's like they know it's no good and are dumping it so they don't get stuck with it. So I sort of shy away from bargains!
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2008, 05:17 PM
    I know what you're saying. Not so long ago it cost $40 to fill my little Mazda with petrol, it's now around $50 and the cost is still rising. I tend to be slow to react, so I'm just beginning to take notice of all the hype to do with rising petrol prices:

Petrol price is bad news for food, clothing retailers | brisbanetimes.com.au

MotorMouth - Fuel Prices and Petrol Prices Australia
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 06:43 PM
    There is no trick really it is making a list of what you need and just not buying anything not on the list.

Also there is a food program that everyone can use, it will help keep your food costs down real low
    Welcome - Angel Food Ministries
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2008, 09:57 PM
    Get rid of the credit card. Paraphrasing Dave Ramsey: he says that when we use a credit card, we spend about 15% more than necessary because it will work; but then, we must pay it off. Plan your meals, use a list, and cash only.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2008, 03:49 AM
    Do you have a good accurate budget of all your monthly expenses? I think it is very important for you to know where your money is going. You may find that you are spending on items that aren't as important as groceries. Priority items must be funded first. Cable TV, eating at restaurants, cell phone extras, wasted electricity and other non-essentials must be eliminated or kept to the bare minimum before it is assumed that you can't afford food and shelter. Excon is correct, savings are very important. Who knows what gasoline and other necessitiies will cost in the very near future and if you live in a cold climate like me--whats its going to cost for heating next winter?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 12:42 PM
    List, list, list. Make a list at home and stick to it when you get to the grocery store. Nothing is more money wasting then buying stuff at a grocery store on impulse. I am guilty of this as well but if I take my son with me and we have a for real list that we agreed upon at home as the items we really need I tend to stick to the list and actually get out of Super WallyWorld with just what's on my list and maybe one item that snuck into the cart on me if I'm good.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Another thing I just found out yesterday... is my beloved grocery store is not the place to shop for shampoos, lotions,soap, household cleaners... I'm in shock at the difference in the prices. I thought maybe it would be a difference by some change... I'm talking a dollar or more difference on those items.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sticking it out for the kids. [ 11 Answers ]

What is everyone's thoughts on this topic. My wife and I have been married for almost a year and a half. We have two beautiful children (9 months and 5 years) that we both love more than anything. The word divorce has been coming up a lot due to her not being able to get past things I did prior...

Electric window sticking [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I wonder if anyone has a solution to sticking electric window , basically it struggles to wind up and squeaks a lot , car is a about 5 years old and its only happening to the front drivers side window. Have applied WD40 lubricant a few times but doesn't seem to last long. Thanks

Sticking to NC [ 1 Answers ]

I broke up with my boyfriend about three weeks ago and haven't spoken to him since. I broke it off with him because I was really unhappy with the state of the relationship (even though most of our relationship was really good) and he didn't know what he wanted. He wanted me to wait while he thought...

Sticking muscle [ 4 Answers ]

Sometimes I feel like my vagina is sticking together. I'm not sure what it is.can anybody help?

View more questions Search