Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Yeah that was there illogical reasoning for not starting years ago.
    IF we had THEN --it would be up and running now
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Yep, and every Democrat talking head is using the excuse that it will take years for us to even get any of that oil. So let's just put it off even longer you idiots...
    Don't they look completely stupid and foolish? The cat that swallowed the bird, feathers in its mouth, saying, "What bird?"
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Yeah that was there illogical reasoning for not starting years ago.
    IF we had THEN --it would be up and running now
    No one ever accused congress of being logical have they?
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jun 19, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Um, actually it was a congressional moratorium in 1981, look it up.

Welcome to the party anyway. Better late than never. I saved you a big piece of Obama chocolate cake and I'll even let you take first swing at the McCain piñata. It's mostly full of... Seriously though McCain and I are not so far apart on this particular issue. It might hurt your ears to hear this, but Congresses actions alone didn't carry the weight of the ban that one G. "Herbert" W. Bush added. We were talking about the coast lines, the overall coast line oil drilling bans, historically of the continental US. Every news station including FOX has reported that it goes back to the bans of Congress and George Herbert Walker Bush. There were two orders, and one was executive. There was a 1981 moratorium by Congress, actually enacted by Congress in 1982 and it applied to new offshore oil wells and the development of new oil refineries. But apparently it didn't have the full coastal areas that GHW Bush extended with a no drilling ban period to boot. However there are some boundaries of how far off the coasts, but I don't recall the miles out drilling could resume. Now Herbert's son, Dubya, has recently spoken more on the subject and added Alaska to the possibility, which was not in question in the initial discussion. Personally I've already addressed Alaska in another post in which I said both drilling and supervision by environmentalists should accomplish both agendas.

Offshore oil drilling opponents are rethinking | News | Q13.com | KCPQ TV | Q13 FOX News

"Much of the nation's coastal waters are off-limits to new oil and gas leasing until 2012 under executive orders first issued by Bush's father, President George H.W. Bush, in 1991 and extended by President Clinton in 1998. In addition, Congress has taken action annually since 1981 to preclude drilling in coastal areas."

President Urges Congress to Lift Offshore Oil Drilling Ban | Online NewsHour | June 18, 2008 | PBS

"Amid soaring gas prices and increased debate over energy policy, President Bush urged Congress Wednesday to end a 27-year ban on offshore drilling in U.S. coastal waters before its Fourth of July recess.

It's unclear how much oil is in the area covered by the moratorium, but the federal Energy Information Administration estimates that the offshore region could produce more than 16 billion barrels, although it would take years for production to start.

"There is no excuse for delay," Mr. Bush said in a statement delivered in the White House Rose Garden.

In his statement, the president outlined in broad terms what he believes should be done to ease soaring energy costs: Open offshore waters that are off-limits to oil company drilling, pump out some of the oil located in an Alaska wildlife refuge and expand the development of oil shale.
    "

Bush 43 urges offshore drilling that Bush 41 banned | Countdown to Crawford | Los Angeles Times

"The president (Dubya) made no mention of his father, President George H.W. Bush, who banned coastal oil exploration in 1990, or his brother, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who long opposed it. Except to say that much of U.S. energy now "comes from abroad, that's what's changed in the last few decades," putting "our economy and our security at risk.""

Post #7

Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    Bush wants to lift ban on offshore drilling - International Herald Tribune

Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    Bush wants to lift ban on offshore drilling - International Herald Tribune

"There are two prohibitions on offshore drilling, one imposed by Congress and another by executive order signed by Bush's father in 1990. Bush's brother, Jeb, fiercely opposed offshore drilling when he was governor of Florida. What the president now proposes would rescind his father's decision — but the president took the position that Congress has to act first and then he would follow behind."
    There are two prohibitions on offshore drilling, one imposed by Congress and another by executive order signed by Bush's father in 1990. Bush's brother, Jeb, fiercely opposed offshore drilling when he was governor of Florida. What the president now proposes would rescind his father's decision — but the president took the position that Congress has to act first and then he would follow behind.Bush and McCain Support Offshore Drilling

"

First enacted in 1982, the Congressional moratorium has been renewed every year since, including by George Herbert Bush who signed an executive order in 1990 banning coastal oil exploration, a stance son and brother Jeb supported as an outspoken opponent of offshore drilling when he was governor of Florida."What is the 5-year program?

"

What is the history of the Congressional Moratoria for the planning areas?

The first Congressional moratorium was enacted in FY 1982, prohibiting leasing off the Central and Northern California coast. In 1984, Southern California, the North Atlantic, and part of the Eastern Gulf Of Mexico, basically south of the 26 degree N latitude, were subject to moratoria. In FY 1990, the North Aleutian Basin, Alaska, and the Mid-Atlantic became moratoria areas. Washington/Oregon and the Florida Panhandle area of the Easter Gulf of Mexico were added to the moratoria list in FY 1991. The South Atlantic was added in 1992. These areas have been continued to be subject to annual congressional moratoria, with the exception of the North Aleutian Basin, Alaska, which has not been included since FY 2004.
    "Bush asks Congress to clear way for offshore oil drilling - CNN.com

Below I included a link to a map, which doesn't break down what part of the coast was banned due to Congress and the areas that George Herbert Walker Bush extended, which I believe it was in California on the West coast and SE parts of the US including Florida. Notice that between the two, Congress and GWH Bush, it appears that only Texas was spared for offshore drilling and a part of Alaska.

[bbcode][/bbcode]
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 02:16 AM
    Whatever or whoever initiated the ban ;it may have made perfect sense (although shortsighted ) when the price at the pump was a buck and a half. This is a situation where the more on the table the merrier. Let's have some give and take compromising and come up with a comprehensive long and short term energy policy that addresses all concerns .
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jun 20, 2008, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    Whatever or whoever initiated the ban ;it may have made perfect sense (although shortsighted ) when the price at the pump was a buck and a half. This is a situation where the more on the table the merrier. Let's have some give and take compromising and come up with a comprehensive long and short term energy policy that addresses all concerns .
    Tom, I agree with McCain's stance on this particular issue and although I'm voting for Obama in this election, I'm a registered non-partisan Independent in Nevada. Good point on the long and short term energy solutions and the need for bipartisan action.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 07:15 AM
    I'm a registered non-partisan Independent in Nevada.
    Same here . I left the Dem party when my Congressional Representative;the great Ben Gilman got gerrymandered out of a job. And the Republicans really don't have a party worth a damn in NY .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search