Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Could you explain?
    Ok, here goes..

I composed an answer here to a question,then I clicked "submit answer" button and it took me to this page.

"The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."

I just did not try again(was not really in the mood to retry posting.Closed only the tab with that question.And closed the laptop but did not shut down.

I came back around 5 minutes later and reconnected to the net,checked new posts etc
    Used the "undo close tab" and a prompt comes up that says if I resend the data it will chang or something to that effect.So I clicked "Go back one page" on that tab.
    I got back to the page with the answer and the answer was still intact.

I am not good with computers and how the web works,but would like to know how it is possible for the answer(not submitted to the Desk) still be there after I closed the tab?Is that stored in my computer or on the net?And if you could explain in laymen terms what really happens when an answer is typed and not submitted?:o

Thanks in advance.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 18, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Every site has an inbuilt time out period.
    AMHD's is about 15 minutes.

Now there are a couple of ways to avoid the auto time out function.

As you are using Firefox, try opening a new tab to the online members list: ( https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/online.php ).
    This refershes every minute, so keeps your connection to the site alive.

Alternatly try composing longer responses in Notepad or word or some other word processing package.
    Then when done, simply copy & paste it into the reply box.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Thanks Ben,

It is Firefox.

I normally compose long answers in word and then paste the whole answer,but most of the time I just compose right here.

I was just surprised to see my answer still on the closed/reopened tab.

I used to keep the online member map on tab before but then since my connection slowed down it is difficult to keep that one open as it seems to slow the connection even more.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 18, 2008, 08:16 AM
    The map has been taken off, so it is now simply the online list.
    This will help to keep your connection alive.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Really?
    I normally have the map online when I use Opera and keep the images off,but here on Firefox I haven't yet figured out how to turn off the images.
    I did not realise the map had been taken off.

Thanks Ben..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can someone explain this [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Im in college and I have had one boyfriend but I don't have a lot of experience otherwise and Im pretty shy when it comes to guys even though in general Im not that shy. I started liking a guy last year right away when I met him. We became friends. Hes never had a girlfriend or kissed a...

Explain this [ 2 Answers ]

What would you say to someone who is not technically savvy in order to explain how a general model of telecommunications works?

Explain why. [ 2 Answers ]

Explain why highly precise measurment does not always mean a highly accurate one. :confused:

Can anyone explain this? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is sagar. Let me tell you guys that I'm just a crazy fan of cradle of filth.and I've watched their one of the most greatest video Nymphetamine. But I couldn't figure out certain part of their lyrics. Here are they What is the meaning of " white lady laid"...

Can someone explain this to me [ 3 Answers ]

It is spelled like "peninectal abscesses", if I am right about it It was found like a tumor shape of thing inside the body(butthole).:( I am asking it for a family member, and I am worried about the person's health. :confused: What should be done with this illness? THank you!

View more questions Search