Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chameleon24 Posts: 70, Reputation: 7

Jun 17, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Meeting up with someone I met on internet
    This weekend I'm planning on meeting up with a guy who I've met on an internet dating site. We've been talking a lot and finding out about each other. The thing is... there is some distance between us. I live in Ohio and he lives in West Virginia. We decided to meet at an amusement park about an hour from where I live to hang out for the day. At first I was feeling good about it, but everyone I talk to around me are starting to make me nervous. I'm trying not to be stupid about this and I'm looking at all the angles that will make this situation okay to get myself into.
    First off, I'm familiar with the area. My sister lives about 5 minutes away from the park, so I know people in the area too. The place will be packed with people (it's Cedar Point, which is one of the most popular amusement parks in the country)... a nice family atmosphere. I'm meeting him there... it's not like he's picking me up anywhere. I have a good time talking with him... he's never said anything odd that rubbed me the wrong way. He has a pretty in-depth profile on the site we met on, complete with photos also. And he's my age (which is 21).
    Now, I know there's always going to be a bunch of "what if's", but you can throw those into any dating scenario. That's just the world we live in now. And I know a lot of really crazy stuff happens out there in our world and women have to be careful. I guess my question to you all is... is this a bad idea? Is there a better way of going around this?

Now, people are telling me it would be a good idea if it were a group of people going. Maybe if I brought a friend or 2. I agree that this is a smart way of doing it. Problem is... I can't really find anyone who'll be able to! I was feeling good about this at first and I was excited about it, but then today I was talking to my sister on the phone and she was telling me that it seems stupid and dangerous for me to go there without bringing anyone else with me. So now the situation is starting to bother me.

Any thoughts?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Meeting in a public place is a great idea. However, it is better to meet with a group of friends and then split up if things seem to be going well.

How long have you "known" him?
    Chameleon24 Posts: 70, Reputation: 7

Jun 18, 2008, 05:09 AM
    We've been talking daily for about a month
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 09:10 AM
    It's too soon then. A month is not enough time to get to know someone online.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 10:16 AM
    A month and this is the first meeting? Have a back up plan for your own safety. Keep in touch with your sister often, and have it set up where she always knows where you are.
    appleguy87 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Try bringing a friend or two along with you, and maybe suggest the same to this guy? That way if things get bad at least you are not by yourself. However, if things are turning our well, you might be able to go with him alone and get to know him more. Also, it might set your friends up too if all works out!
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Jul 22, 2008, 10:20 PM
    Invite your sister!
    erin7799 Posts: 159, Reputation: 32

Jul 22, 2008, 10:41 PM
    I am not ashamed to say that I've met some amazing people online! I think I was on a great site, too. Or maybe I just got lucky. I chose the internet because I am from a small town with not a lot of fish... I went online and met people from other cities and I still to this day communicate with some. I had never had a bad experience online yet I have heard horror stories! Just be careful. Choose wisely! And yes, you should probably take a friend. I have always made them come to me, though. Then I am in MY environment. Good Luck!
    hannah_nicole Posts: 163, Reputation: 13

Jul 22, 2008, 11:12 PM
    I do not think one month is too soon. I met my current boyfriend online after a month & we've been together a year now. No-one can really judge if your ready to meet yet except you.

I met in a hotel room in my hometown & my parents dropped me off. Darryl wanted me to feel comfortable & know I could leave & get home if I wanted to. He wouldn't have met me if my parents weren't OK with it either. Just make sure there are safe options if you want to leave at any point 4 any reason & I do advise to bring someone along.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meeting with ex [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I had a girlfriend of 4 years- things weren't really working. We had some problems in our relationship- but we never really talked about them, as she had a close relative who was terminally ill. It has been 2 months since we have broken up- we both miss each other and have said so....

Meeting with Ex and I don't know how to handle it. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm not used to writing or posting things about my life, but I'm in a serious bind and incredibly nervous. I hope some of you can help me. PS: sorry if this is long, but it makes more sense this way A little background information: I started seeing this girl a little over 17...

Meeting new people! [ 2 Answers ]

Just wondering has anyone got any good ideas wher and the best way to meet new people?? :confused:

After first meeting [ 1 Answers ]

My lunch date was OK, but I would like to hear from him again. Should I call or wait for him to call?

Agenda for a meeting [ 3 Answers ]

Hello this is ajay I wanted to ask about agendas of meetings If any body knows plzzzzzz mail me Thank u

View more questions Search