Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kumar1111 Posts: 40, Reputation: 0

Jun 17, 2008, 08:02 PM
    American Black. What's wrong
    Hi There

I am writing this straight after my shower. It is 9 pm and I am in US. I don't usually take shower in the evening. But today I had to as someone threw juice at me when I passed by him while on my way to home from office. He is an American Black. I did not feel bad just because he did so but what I felt bad about is that he did so when I nodded him and his family (kids and wife) with respect and smiled at them when we passed by each other on a foot path.

The question " Is it is a sin in this country to smile at people and node at them with respect when you pass by". I have done so earlier with different people white, brown, mix, and even black and they have greeted me back.

I wanted to bounce back to the person and ask him why did he do so but then I thought of few other incidents that my friends have experienced with similar people and hence I refrained. I have been in this country for many years and have never faced any problems but I have heard my friends beaten by black people ( I am honest).

Is it a sin to be black in this country? Why we have all such incidents? Is it due to inferiority or due to lack of education or is that the culture? Why my friends fear of black people? Why I was told not to look for apartments at a particular place because there are black people? Why I personally had to avoid walking on a particular cross street after 9 pm?

I personally do not believe in racism. I love to be with any colour people. I believe education, culture, and attitude makes a person good human no matter what color he/she is. Today if I respect anyone after my parents he is " Barrack Obama". Its not because he is black. It is because he is a good human in many respect. I am 100% confident that all black people are not bad. I am 100% because my room mates are black and they are awesome.

Hence the question " What's wrong"

I apologise if I offend anyone. That's not the intention and I am honest.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2008, 08:14 PM
    I'm not sure what you are getting at? Im sure in some areas it could just have easily been a white person, hispanic or asian that threw juice on you. You got it right in your 3rd and 4th last lines.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 21, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Is it a sin to be black in this country?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, some still believe it is. Good to see you do not. The bad behavior was probably due to 2 things: either he saw you as an ethnic or race he has a grudge against (meaning he is a racist or bigot), or he's just not a nice person.

I've found that smiling at folks either gets you a smile in return, or makes them nervous because they think you've caught them at something <G> The fact that the offender was black was coincidence. Rotten folks come in all colors...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 02:11 PM
    I will be honest I don't believe you, people of any race do not throw juice on another person for nodding and saying hello. Esp a person with his family.

I would say there is a lot more to this story if there is any truth.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    I will be honest I don't beleive you, people of any race do not throw juice on another person for nodding and saying hello. Esp a person with his family.

I would say there is alot more to this story if there is any truth.
    Things are different in the South Fr_Chuck, but since you live there, I can see where you might doubt the accuracy of his story, and believe it to be made up.

I'm betting it is not.

I've lived in 9 different states, and visited about 14 others, and I have seen similar situations, and I have seen worse examples of behavior, not just from blacks, but from almost all other races as well.

The way a majority of people behave in one area, can be totally the opposite in another.

You will find that the black people in the south, behave much differently than the ones do as you move North. And, the further you move North, the more dramatic the changes get.

I've nodded at blacks in my own city, said "howdy", and the reply has been "f you" without
    Any instigation on my part what so ever.

Attitudes are not the same in all parts of the Nation.
    RedneckMama Posts: 103, Reputation: 17

Jun 21, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Have to respectfully disagree Fr_Chuck... I had the same thing happen to me out of the clear blue by members of my own race--they, however, were teenagers who thought it would be funny... well, they had a good laugh at my expense until I pointed them out to my big burly long haired redneck husband who changed their minds... who's laughing now, eh? Hehe...

Anyway... in the OP's situation.. I think it may have been an incidence involving a jealous husband, maybe? And not involving race at all... and if it was race related; well, there's not much to do about it now... except to keep in mind that you can't judge an entire race (nor an entire country) of folks based on the actions of one ornery man...

I know it sucks to have someone lash out at you for absolutely no reason; but we're all given free will on this earth to act how we please, and as you can clearly see, some folks choose to act like they were raised in a barn...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Well beyond the south, I have lived in New YorkCity, up state NY, Chiacgo, St Louis, Texas, OK, AZ, and a dozen other places, and traveled most of the world, And I would stll say no, a man with his family does not act this way, Not unless he felt threatened or something provoked him to do this in front of his family.

I have walked the "hood" in major cities and have always found short of the gang people that if you show them respect you get respect

Jun 21, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Thank you all so much for all your responses. I really appreciate

I don't know where Fr_Chuck coming from but I can't help if you believe it a story.

However one thing seems to be more clear that people behaves differently from one location to other ( thanks progunr). It is unfortunate to learn that a greet does not always returns a greet.

While I just can't change myself from being a social person I need to learn refraining. However in this case probably the man is a odd man out(Thanks WVhiflyer, Rotten folks come in all colors... )

But if I relate this case with my friends who are beaten, its still scary...
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Racism comes in all colors and it is usually the ones that are narrow minded no matter what race they are.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jul 28, 2008, 05:46 PM
    I don't know if you have heard about the "fire in the hole" incidents where people drive up to a drive in window at a fast food restaurant, get a drink, and when it is handed to them, shout "fire in the hole", pitch it back at the person, and take off.

My experiences in life tell me that inconsiderate, hurtful and even dangerous people come in all sizes, shapes and races. I wouldn't be surprised if the incident you are describing had nothing to do with race at all.

Jul 28, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JimGunther
    My experiences in life tell me that inconsiderate, hurtful and even dangerous people come in all sizes, shapes and races. I wouldn't be surprised if the incident you are describing had nothing to do with race at all.
    Thank you all. I definitely agree with N0help4u & JimGunther, that racism is there in all colors. Probably it is those people who are impoverished or uneducated, behaves in such a way no matter what color they are. As I said earlier I have nothing wrong against black as I have some great friends and my room mates are also black with who I have been living for many months and I am proud to be their room mates, they are just wonderful. But I would like to just quote incidents where people are beaten in certain areas after 8pm or in darkness. So that sucks...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumar1111
    Thank you all. I definitely agree with N0help4u & JimGunther, that racism is there in all colors. Probably it is those people who are impoverished or uneducated, behaves in such a way no matter what color they are. As I said earlier I have nothing wrong against black as I have some great friends and my room mates are also black with who I have been living for many months and I am proud to be their room mates, they are just wonderful. But I would like to just quote incidents where people are beaten in certain areas after 8pm or in darkness. So that sucks...

People are beaten all over this country, in the darkness, after 8PM, and it has nothing to do with race.

There is and always will be discrimination - at one time it was American Indians, the Irish, the Polish, the Jews, Muslims, whatever. Women are discriminated against in the workplace all the time. Mixed race couples are discriminated against. I don't see it having anything to do with being impoverished or uneducated - ignorance and education are two separate issues.

For whatever reason the line "I have some great [black] friends" always makes me want to scream when racism is being discussed. I would question your friendships if you have to ask, "Is it a sin to be Black in this country."
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 02:22 PM
    WE all have the same bits inside regardless of the colour outside and we all bleed red.

You can be all colours of the rainbow for all I care, if your being nasty to any human being it's because you are nasty by nature.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goldfish with black spots om it. What is wrong with it? [ 4 Answers ]

My school owns 2 gold fish and both of them have black spots all over them. One has tail rot (I just found out today) and now they have balck spots. We bought them on valen tines day... any suggestio9ns on what is wrong with them.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Skin lightner for African/African American/Black people? [ 46 Answers ]

Ok I am fairly new on this site and I am having a hard time figuring out what race is everyone. I am not trying to racist or anything. What works on other races doesn't work on black people and vice versa... With that being said... Hi, Im Amina. I was a mid brown color. Before going to college...

Natural black hair that's dyed black, how can I lighten it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi im new to this! Ive been dying my hair black for about 2 years. My hair is naturally very dark brown/almost black already. Id really like to color it a light brown. should i strip my hair color, then proceedto try a light brown? thanks so much for any kind of help!:o

Black American In political Parties [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for information about Black Americans in political Parties and offices. If possible, information about the state of Phoenix, Arizona. Anyone have any ideas where to look?

View more questions Search