Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yeller Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2006, 03:03 PM
    Alternative to surgery for a slipped disc in my Daschund?
    I have a 3 year old rescue pup beagle / daschund mix. Through regular daily activities she managed to get a slipped disc in her spine. Surgery was not an option at the time because I had no job & couldn't afford it. A month of rest & crate "LockDown" she seems to be OK until she reinjured her back.

Is there anything at all I can do to help my pup instead of surgery? Acupuncture? Holestic Therapy? Anything?

She can walk, & go to the bathroom but she shakes & seems to be miserable & is on a steroid to reduce the swelling. I don't know if it is just a bruised disc or if surgery is her only hope at a happy life.

Pease help!!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2006, 03:19 PM
    Please don't deny your dog the benefits of surgery and continue its pain.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Mar 14, 2006, 08:40 PM
    Try to find a Dog Chiropractor. I have a friend who's dog had the same symptoms. The Vet said surgery, with a dismal prognosis. My friend took it to a Dog Chiropractor for treatment and the dog showed marked improvement. I don't know how long it lasted, because we lost touch some time back, but it might be worth a try. I have always been suspect of Chiropractors because of some of their claims to be able to cure everything from baldness to heart disease. I now have a Chiropractor that straightens me out about every 10 months on average, when I screw up my back doing some home project. He sends me home to apply ice packs and to do 12 oz curls in the easy chair. There is a time and place for every medical discipline. By the way, find a Chiropractor with two feet, rather than four.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2006, 05:48 AM
    HI,
    Have you considered getting another Vets opinion?
    Many people get at least two opinions before having major surgery. Why not take her to another Vet? Get another X-Ray, get that Vet's opinion.
    You would then have more information to decide. I would not let her be in constant pain if the surgery is need, or as your previous answer suggested, maybe try a Dog Chiropractor, if you can find one in your local area.
    I do wish you and she the very best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alternative to sweating copper [ 10 Answers ]

Howdy, I was at the local big box store and saw something that called it self an alternative to sweating copper. It was a liquid called Just For Copper. Being a geek and interested in things that can make my home improvement life easier, I thought I would give it a try. Well, I am not...

Alternative cooling [ 1 Answers ]

My family is about to buy a home and this new home has a central duckt about 2 feet square (with a grill that did now alow me to look inside) on the 2nd floor that goes verticaly through the attic. The current owner's explanation is that is like a skylight with a fan that will suck up the hot air...

Alternative to a Laundry Tub [ 9 Answers ]

I am looking for an alternative to discharging a front-loading washing machine into a laundry tub. I have access to a pipe that slopes down to the septic pipe exiting the basement. This pipe is 5ft from the bottom of the washer. The manufacturer told me that the pump in the washer would only...

Once I Have Made A Disc, Can I Make Copies Of The Disc Uncopiable? [ 6 Answers ]

Yeah erm, I have made a disc consisting of some word and excel files. I would like to sell this disc as it is interactive and can benefit people. How do I copy the disc so people can use it but cannot re write/copy it on their computer and sell it on? :rolleyes:

Healthy alternative to dog food [ 5 Answers ]

Please do yourself a favor and check out the 2 sites so you'll be better informed about what is really in dog food and choices you can make so your pet will become healthy and whole. They are: http://www.belfield.com (article Food Not Fit for a Pet) and http://www.api4animals.org (article What's...

View more questions Search