Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Herby Sailor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 01:27 PM
    I beam deflection
    Where can I find a chart that will show how much a steel I beam will deflect under a given load? I am building a 5 ton crane and need to size the beam that holds the hoist. Minimum size is 5 inch flange, maximum is 6 inch and the vertical dimension can be 10 or 12 inch. It is to be 48 feet long, supported on both ends.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jul 1, 2008, 07:21 PM
    There's no chart. There's deflection formulas. Look up the formula and solve for the required moment of inertia, and then look up the chart with I beam moment of inertias. That is the only thing I know of in a chart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How was the defelction formula for beam deflection derived? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how the deflection formula for beam delfection was derived? Was it through integration? Any ideas would really help! :)

High Beam/Low Beam on 99 Durango [ 4 Answers ]

My headlights will only work on high beams. My sister owned the Durango before and said she had to mess with the switch from time to time to get low beams to work then finally stopped working. Anyone ran into this problem? I think its in the steering column. I've checked fuses and headlights. ...

Beam Deflection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a Mech Eng by education, but haven't used many of the skills for a long while. Can someone please run through the equations for calculating bending moment, stress, and deflection of a simply-supported beam? Maybe, for example, using a 2x10 (1.5" x 9.25" wood floor joist?? )... As I...

View more questions Search