Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Jun 17, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Mitering molding joints
    I have a partially recessed cabinet thet I want to frame out with cove molding. I have a compund miter saw and need to know the best way to miter the joints. Don't have enough molding to experiment with! I want it to go around the wall and the cabinet.Name:  recessed cabinet 1.jpg
Views: 7928
Size:  51.7 KB
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 05:19 PM
    First check the corners of the cabinet to insure that they are square. With a cabinet that small they should be. Swing you miter saw to the left to 45 degrees and precut your all molding into pieces a couple of inches long. Place a piece of molding on the wall beside the cabinet. Mark the outside edge of the molding on the wall at the corners. Do this for each side and the top and bottom of the cabinet. Where the two lines intersect is the outside corner of the two pieces of molding. Measure the distances between outside corners. Mark that measurement on outside edge of a piece of precut molding. Swing you saw to the right to 45 degrees and cut to length. It is easier to see just where the blade is going to cut when the saw is swung to the right, hence cut the left in first. It is easier to see the mark on the outside edge of the molding when cutting, hence marking the wall so you can measure. Cut to length. When cutting it is sometimes difficult to judge just how close you are to the mark. Cut a little longe then make a second cut. Cut your molding about 1/32 long to get tight joints. You can always cut a little long, test and then recut if necessary, called sneaking up on it. When I want to take off small amounts, say about a 32nd, with the saw not running, I bring the blade down, push the molding up against the blade hard. This will deflect the blade slightly. I hold the molding in place and raise the blade then make the cut. Takes off about 1/32.

If your corners are not 90 degrees purchase a small angle finder at Home Depot for a couple of dollars and measure the corners. If a corners is not 90 degrees, lets say one is 94 degrees set you saw to half that to cut both pieces of molding that meet at that corner.

If the legs of you cove molding are not the same, be sure to mark which one is going against the wall so that you are consistent, that's the side you want on the saw table.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Patty:

Harold has really great information.

The only other thing I wanted to point out is that the recessed cabinet sticks out of the wall about 3/4"..

Why?

The cabinet should be FLUSH with the wall so you cover the shelf joints when you install the finish moulding. Look at the doorway trim...you want the trim to be similar to the doorway trim.

Otherwise, you need to build out the moulding width to the depth cabinet is... so that when install moulding you end up with all wood trim around the cabinet.

Hope that made sense..?

Great job Harold!

Mark

Jun 17, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Well, if you want to purty it up, get some iron on venier and cover the leading edges of the cabinet and the shelves. Get out your table saw and make some molding like this and trim it out. Kind of look like a picture frame.
    Attached Images

westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 17, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Guys, I'm confused (no more than usual) as to the type of cove molding being used and how it's being installed at the ceiling line. It is at an angle (45 degrees). I cannot picture how the cove will frame the cabinet. It it casing instead? I'm thinking for a cove molding the cabinet may not extend out from the wall enough, unless it's a very small molding ? Mass, evidently you see the same thing I do. Maybe it's a 1/4 round ?

Jun 20, 2008, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    Patty:

Harold has really great information.

The only other thing I wanted to point out is that the recessed cabinet sticks out of the wall about 3/4"...?

Why??

The cabinet should be FLUSH with the wall so you cover the shelf joints when you install the finish moulding. Look at the doorway trim...you want the trim to be similar to the doorway trim.

Otherwise, you need to build out the moulding width to the depth cabinet is...so that when install moulding you end up with all wood trim around the cabinet.

Hope that made sense...??

Great job Harold!!

Mark
    The cabinet actually sticks out of the wall 2.25". That's why I wanted to frame it out with cove molding. I added another piece of flat molding that I mitered to reach to the edge of the cabinet. I have top and one side fitted and now I'm going to "sneak up" on the other 2
    Corners. Harold gave me exactly the information I needed. Thanks Harold!
    I will be putting a glass insert in the door frame I made.Name:  cove molding1.jpg
Views: 5135
Size:  50.1 KB

Name:  cove molding2.jpg
Views: 3199
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  cove molding3.jpg
Views: 3298
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  cove molding4.jpg
Views: 3448
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  cabinet door2.jpg
Views: 3509
Size:  71.7 KB
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 20, 2008, 05:26 PM
    As a retired carpenter, I would say that you did a very good job. The cove makes the cabinet look finished and like it belongs there. Thanks for taking time to share the finished product with us.

Jun 20, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyg2
    The cabinet actually sticks out of the wall 2.25". That's why I wanted to frame it out with cove molding. I added another piece of flat molding that I mitered to reach to the edge of the cabinet. I have top and one side fitted and now I'm going to "sneak up" on the other 2
    corners. Harold gave me exactly the information I needed. Thanks Harold!
    I will be putting a glass insert in the door frame I made.Name:  cove molding1.jpg
Views: 5135
Size:  50.1 KB

Name:  cove molding2.jpg
Views: 3199
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  cove molding3.jpg
Views: 3298
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  cove molding4.jpg
Views: 3448
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  cabinet door2.jpg
Views: 3509
Size:  71.7 KB
    Here are a couple of shots of the vanity that Mark and Harold helped me out with getting the plumbing for the drawers. The top over the toilet is removable.
    Name:  view from unfinished shower.jpg
Views: 3914
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  removable banjo shelf.jpg
Views: 3022
Size:  87.0 KB

Jun 20, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by westnlas
    As a retired carpenter, I would say that you did a very good job. The cove makes the cabinet look finished and like it belongs there. Thanks for taking time to share the finished product with us.
    I love to use molding anywhere I can. The wood I used for the cabinet came from the scrap bin at Home Depot and I spent 51 cents for each 4' board. Of course I got them all!
    Adding the molding hides the cheap wood!
    Thanks for the compliment!
    Patty

Jun 20, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Nice job Patty.

So you are a woodworker. I knew you were a good guy, just knew it.

Jun 20, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Nice job Patty.

So you are a woodworker. I knew you were a good guy, just knew it.
    I actually started sewing when I was 6 years old. Then one day I got a hold of a hand saw and some old pallet wood and built a fence around the patio to keep the kids in. It's been power tools ever since for my birthday and Christmas!
    I was messing up my cuts by not keeping the same side down on the chop saw. That was something I didn't know. Thanks for the advice!
    Jack of all Trades... Master of NONE,
    Patty
    Name:  Me.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  24.1 KB

Jun 24, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by westnlas
    I finally got it done except for cutting the glass for the door. I think I might make another door out of better material though. I thank everyone for their help!
    Patty
    Name:  recessed cabinet 4.jpg
Views: 2406
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  recessed cabinet 2.jpg
Views: 2061
Size:  47.0 KB
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Hey Patty... nice job all around... especially matching up to the old stain! And here I was all worried you were missing a detail or two... silly me!

Great job!

Jun 24, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    Hey Patty...nice job all around...especially matching up to the old stain!! And here I was all worried you were missing a detail or two...silly me!!

Great job!!
    Thanks! You helped me out sooooo much with this bathroom project and I appreciate it. Going on vacation for a couple of weeks next month. I'm sure I will have some more questions when I return and start tiling the shower.
    Thanks Again,
    Patty

Jul 1, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Thanks! You helped me out sooooo much with this bathroom project and I appreciate it. Going on vacation for a couple of weeks next month. I'm sure I will have some more questions when I return and start tiling the shower.
    Thanks Again,
    Patty
    Well I finally got around to making the new door frame and getting the courage to cut glass for the first time. I used a few glazier points and then drilled and nailed a stained dowel rod over it since I couldn't find any molding small enough. I can say it looks good and covers up the glazier points.
    Also I was wondering when I start tiling the shower with 12x12 porce;ain tiles on hardi backerboard what is the best type of mortar to use?
    Thanks,
    Patty
    Name:  IMG_0403.JPG
Views: 1519
Size:  71.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0407.JPG
Views: 1509
Size:  147.4 KB

Jul 1, 2008, 03:13 PM
    I actually started sewing when I was 6 years old. Then one day I got a hold of a hand saw and some old pallet wood and built a fence around the patio to keep the kids in. It's been power tools ever since for my birthday and Christmas!
    I was messing up my cuts by not keeping the same side down on the chop saw. That was something I didn't know. Thanks for the advice!
    Jack of all Trades....Master of NONE,
    Patty
    Name:  Me.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  24.1 KB
    Well Harold I finally got the new door done and also put some stained 1" cove molding around the bathroom ceiling and thanks to your advice about the miter saw I had no problem at all.
    Thanks Again,
    PattyName:  cove molding on ceiling3.jpg
Views: 7217
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  cove molding on ceiling.jpg
Views: 5014
Size:  64.6 KB

Jul 1, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Looking good Patty. True craftsmanship. I would say you will soon be ready to try your hand at crown molding, a great way to put males to shame.

Jul 1, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Looking good Patty. True craftsmanship. I would say you will soon be ready to try your hand at crown molding, a great way to put males to shame.
    I will. I want to put some in my bedroom. I chose the cove molding because the bathroom is small but I'll get some crown and stain it and install it in the bedroom. I'm also going to get mahogany laminate floors for the whole house. I've been here 20 years and keep improving the house. Beats selling and buying a new one since this one is paid for. If I need any help I'll be sure to ask.
    Thanks Again Harold!
    Patty

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crown molding [ 16 Answers ]

I need help installing crown molding. Is it necessary to use adhesive as well as nails?

Molding and Trim? [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased white quarter round molding (the plastic mold proof composite) from Home Depot, and need to install it in my kitchen around the base board trim. What's the best application for this install? I was not sure if I should liquid nail it to the painted wood baseboard, or nail it and then...

Crown molding [ 3 Answers ]

Question 1 What type of nails do I use for the real wood crown molding? Question 2 How do I measure the angle, in degrees, of my ceiling? It is something other than 90 or 45? I was hoping to use something simpler than Trig functions.

Crown molding [ 6 Answers ]

I need help to cope a inside 45 on crown molding

Base molding [ 2 Answers ]

How do you install base molding to metal studs

View more questions Search