Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    desid13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Hp laptops
    I have this hp laptop foe about a yr and today the battiey was getting low so I plugged it in it was still on.. well about 3 hrs later are power went out for less then 5 minutes and came back on now 1hr and half I tried turning it on and it won't turn on did I fry it?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Define for me the "Power went out".

Did you mean the battery died, power to the house went out or just power to the wall went out.

Normally, laptops allow you to use the A/C or D/C sources. If you are plugged into the battery charger you are able to use the laptop as well as charge the battery pack.

Is it possible there was a voltage spike that took out the laptop, yes. Anything is possible. However the possibility that the spike in power got through the battery pack and fried your power supply is slim, but not impossible.

Call HP Laptop support.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 01:49 PM
    Take the battery out and try just the adapter.

If it works that way, then charge the battery overnight without using the laptop.
    desid13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Okay the power in the house went out...
    I took the battery out and used your adapter and it still won't turn on so I'm still confused
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Is the power to that outlet on again? If it is, just use the AC adapter if you can.

On my Toshiba, the AC adapter is part of the internal battery so that I have no choice where I plug it in.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Make sure the plug is firmly into the brick. If the brick had a light, is it on?

You could have blown the adapter rather than the laptop.

Anybody with a voltmeter should be able to check that.
    jacks90 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 06:32 PM

Hp ticks me off there service is so bad i have a problem with my operating system tried to charge me 198 dollars

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Networking two laptops [ 2 Answers ]

I have purchased a new laptop and I'm wanting to transfer my old laptop files to my new one. How to I set the two up to network with each other. Window xp platform

Gaming Laptops? [ 5 Answers ]

I don't know much about laptops, let's get that out of the way. I'm looking to buy a computer primarily for graphics-heavy gaming and I need the laptop for portability because I travel a great deal. So here's my quandary: I found the HP Pavilion dv9820us at Buy the HP Pavilion dv9820us 17"...

Laptops won't turn on [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm working on two laptops for a friend... neither of them turn on. I'll describe them seperatley. Laptop #1. When you press the power button, the lights on the laptop turn on for about two seconds, then turn off. The first thing I thought was it wasn't actually getting power, but...

Laptops [ 7 Answers ]

Can you please tell me if A IBM thinkpad speedstep has a good history thinking of buying one. :)

View more questions Search