Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisap48125 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2006, 08:21 AM
    Basin wrench
    I know this is a stupid question, but how do you use a basin wrench? I had the hardest time getting my spray hose undetached from under my kitchen sink. I have a basin wrench, it just didn't work for me. What am I doing wrong?

[email protected]
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 14, 2006, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lisap48125
    I know this is a stupid question, but how do you use a basin wrench? I had the hardest time getting my spray hose undetached from under my kitchen sink. I have a basin wrench, it just didnt work for me. What am I doing wrong?

[email protected]
    Not a stupid question at all Lisa,

To unscrew, hold the wrench in front of you and then turn the jaws so they are on the front side facing you. Now place the jaws on the nut and turn the wrench counter clockwise.
    To tighten, The jaws are turned so they're on the backside and you turn the wrench clockwise. Good luck, Tom
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 14, 2006, 11:46 AM
    Just to add to those who might not know what a basin wrench is. Its basically a long steel bar, usually 18-24", with a serrated jaw on one end and a 'T' on the other. Its primarily used to reach the nuts that hold faucets or other sink fixtures onto the basin. Since such nuts are generally recessed and mixed in with other pipes and hoses, its nigh on impossble to use a conventional wrench on those nuts.

Did I get that right Tom? ;)

Ya sure did, Scotty, great explanation! Tom
    Attached Images

kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2006, 11:54 AM
    of all the tools I've bought and rarely use, this is one that is indispensable.

the first time I bought it my wife was getting impatient to use the sink, and like most home tasks and certainly plumbing it was taking too darn long to fix.

bought the wrench and worked like a beauty. I told my wife afterwards that the tool saved our marriage. =)

well, that and her patience.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2006, 12:14 PM
    Tough old birds like Tom can pull very hard on a wrench. You may need to use a piece of pipe or something to give you more leverage. Wire brushing, squirting oil on it, and light pounding on the nut with a hammer should help too.

Love the newer plastic stuff I can sometimes turn by hand.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 14, 2006, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    of all the tools i've bought and rarely use, this is one that is indispensable.

the first time i bought it my wife was getting impatient to use the sink, and like most home tasks and certainly plumbing it was taking too darn long to fix.

bought the wrench and worked like a beauty. i told my wife afterwards that the tool saved our marriage. =)

well, that and her patience.
    I agree, I think the basin wrench has probably given me a better ROI then any other tool I own.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2006, 07:01 AM
    You mean except for the duct tape and wd-40, right? :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower basin removal [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to remove a shower basin from my basement. It is set on concrete. The basin is fiberglass. The pipe coming from the floor is iron (rusty too). How is the basin attached to the pipe? Adhesive? Is something screwed down? Help? Thanks. Christina

Pre-fab shower basin [ 3 Answers ]

I have a pre-fab shower basin I'm putting on the ground floor bathroom. The last shower there would back up every one in a while and the waste use to leak under the basin. Is there a way to seal the pipe so if the pipes backup the water goes back into the shower and not under the basin. The last...

Leaky shower basin [ 3 Answers ]

I just redid my second story shower and put a new subfloor under the basin. The basin needed the pipe to be exactly in the middle so the rubber boot would stop the water. It was a little off so the boot went on and I siliconed but it is still leaking so now I have to break the ceiling downstairs....

Making a shower basin [ 1 Answers ]

We are remoldeling a 1/2 bath, and have removed the old 32' x 32" shower. The drain is 16" centered from each corner. We want to expand the shower to about 34" x 48", making it a ceramic interier. My question is how do I make a new shower basin? The drain, I believe, is cast iron, in a concrete...

Shower Basin Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Tom was asking for more info but I wasn't registered, took care of that. NOW question is how is the flange removed from my old shower basin. I removed all tile sheetrock and basin to replace it with a four piece fiberglass unit. I can not remove the flange. Here is what I know: The drain is a 2...

View more questions Search