Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2006, 06:02 AM
    Odd Aversions or Repulsions
    Fingernails scratching a chalkboard is a common one. Anyone have any odd ones?

For me, it's pencils. I cannot write with a pencil and cannot be near someone who is writing with a pencil.

I thought I was just weird, but on a show I watched recently I saw some really weird ones... made me feel better!
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Apr 19, 2006, 02:46 AM
    Thread bitting... *:eek:
    Wet bread :eek:
    I can't go into detail or I will pass out LOL
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2006, 03:39 AM
    Lol, I feel better now. I noticed that 43 people had read the post and no one posted... so I just figgered I was a nut case.

... well, OK... I'm a nutcase anyway :p
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2006, 04:09 AM
    People that type in that text messaging style is starting to get on my nerves for some reason - u no what I mn? I'm nt a haxor are you?
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2006, 04:18 AM
    The only one I see is "lol".

Funny thing; lol is now in The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Lol!
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2006, 04:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    The only one I see is "lol".

Funny thing; lol is now in The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

lol!
    Sorry Rick - I wasn't referring to you or your post at all, it was a generalization on the kids and their short form typing.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2006, 06:03 AM
    NeedKarma:
    "it was a generalization on the kids and their short form typing."
    This "short form" of typing is not only kids; I disagree with your statement.
    Earlier this year, CBS Network had a program on "short form" typing. Some larger companies are now having "training sessions" for their employees in typing and memo jobs (not kids), teaching them how to write.
    Seems as if many companies are having a problem reading memos, letters, and emails sent to company executives... can't read them!
    The celll phone "text messaging" has gotten out of hand with many employees, not kids, who now do not know how to type a letter or memo.
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2006, 06:06 AM
    You can disagree all day Fred but it's the iPOD generation that has perfected the SMS short form.
    kp42484 Posts: 39, Reputation: 16

Apr 19, 2006, 07:19 AM
    Yes, this SMS short form and other various shorthand even annoys me, and I am of the aforesaid generation! I admit that I am guilty of an occaisional "lol" or even--gasp!--"w00t!!!" But I do it just for laughs between myself and my peers who understand poking fun at the so-called "hacker" slang.

Being OCD, I have aversions to more things than the average person, I think, but the worst are:

Typing sounds/keys clicking (and I'm going into the IT industry! Yikes!)
    People chewing with their mouth open (the sound they make--yuck!)
    Wet socks
    milliec Posts: 262, Reputation: 55

Apr 19, 2006, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    You can disagree all day Fred but it's the iPOD generation that has perfected the SMS short form.
    I, too , think it's the SMS to blame -i wasn't sure since I live in a diff. place, but I see I got to the same conclusion.

Lol- sorry to be so dumb, by I've never seen it before I joined this place, and it's not exactly clear to me yet.
    I guess I need it's intonation too

As for what drives me nuts?
    Radio blasting from passing by cars - especially at night
    And motorcycles roaring at night as well, but also during the day

Millie
    milliec Posts: 262, Reputation: 55

Apr 20, 2006, 01:05 AM
    Thanks stormy,
    Millie
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2006, 08:34 AM
    I don't like the feel of styrofoam cups. I also don't like the sound of them being scratched, chewed or ripped. Gives me shivers!

When I was little I didn't like spiral notebooks. I always imagined the spirals were going to jump out of the books and attack me.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Apr 20, 2006, 09:00 AM
    I don't lik bad spelin orr peeps whu kant be bthrd 2 lisun 2 what peeps say in genral.Iz bac off hols so nise to be bac at AMHD. :D
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2006, 09:08 AM
    LOL Nez, that's part of my pet peeve too!
    :D
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Apr 20, 2006, 09:44 AM
    I am about to make you feel a lot better!! I suffer from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). So I have a list of things that freak me out. Nothing major but they really can make me react in odd ways.

I cannot stand to touch other peoples eaten food or eat off another persons fork. It makes me gag. I can hand wash dishes by tricking myself into thinking all of the plates, forks etc are mine.

I cannot have a hair on my clothes. Just a stray hair will make me stop in my tracks, wherever I am and fish it out. If it is in my shoe I have to stop, sit down and take my shoe off to find it. I spaz over stray hairs. Of course, I have hair to my *** and my husband's hair is mid back.

I cannot have wrinkles in my socks. I will not walk until I straighten them out.

I cannot walk barefoot in sand, dirt, or gravel without completely freaking out. I wear socks, shoes or slippers 99% of the time. You know how people have rough heels as an adult? I have baby feet. There isnt one patch of dry skin on my foot. All because my fear of being barefoot. I can walk on well tended grass, clean fluffy dirt or wood with little problem. I just cannot feel rocks or pebbles or the shoes are back on. I swin in the rivers with shoes on.

These are just a few of my major repulsions. Are you laughing yet?

Hypatia
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Apr 28, 2006, 06:22 PM
    Hey lol...
    What happened to the original topic?

My odd adversions are (gulp):

Styrofoam peanuts and tattoos! :eek:

Can't bear the thought of touching them...
    Have no idea why but the hairs on my arm sure do!
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2006, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Sorry Rick - I wasn't referring to you or your post at all, it was a generalization on the kids and their short form typing.
    Duh, I should have seen that! :p Sometimes my fingers move faster than my brain. :o
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Apr 29, 2006, 04:17 PM
    A few things that I can't stand are:
    -the sound people make when they are snorting and going to spit (makes me gag)
    -anything under my nails, especially skin after scratching a back
    -socks (lol, I am the exact opposite of hatia)
    -hate the feeling of chalk, chamoi or silk
    -damp clothes in the dryer (this actually makes me SCREAM)

Like the rest I could go on but I won't.

Sorry that last one was more of a pet peeve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search