Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hombre4tu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Soil Stack Seal?
    Hi everyone.

When we bought our duplex, the home inspector said that we would need to re-seal the soil stack some time soon. Well, I've finally come to that point in my home project listing, so I wanted to find out what I should use to seal it and if there is anything I need to be aware of when doing it.

The soil stack appears to be made of iron (house was built in 1954).

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!
    BigRed1500 Posts: 70, Reputation: 8

Jun 17, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Seal it where? At the roof penetration, the foundation penetration, or at each joint in the CI stack?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 17, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Answer Reds questions. You have cast iron drainage. Would the inspector be asking you to reseal a cleanout tee? Talk to us, Tom

Jun 17, 2008, 09:32 AM
    You'll have to forgive me. I'm a little new at this plumbing stuff!

The stack in the basement going into the foundation.

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 17, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Is this a joint that leaks? A break in the pipe? A falty fitting? Or is there a gap in the cement around the stack the inspector wants caulked? Give us something to work with here. Regards, Tom

Jun 17, 2008, 10:42 AM
    All I know is that he said that the seals were old and should be replaced. I think it's the actual seals on the stack. There is no gap and no cracks or leaks.

Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 12:35 PM
    You stack seals are as old as the stack and that does not automatically mean they need replacement. The age of the home tells me its likely sealed with oakum and hot lead. Inspect the rim of the seal, if the lead is in place you should start to question everything else that inspector may have told you.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 03:17 PM
    Seems to me that the inspector may have been suggesting that you may need to repack/caulk the lead joints again sometime in the future.

If that is his suggestion... maybe it is necessary... maybe it's not!

If seeing wettness/leak then abviously you need to repack joints with the proper caulking irons (can be purchased at home supply store or plumbing supply house... see pic.)

If no leak.. then no issue... lead/oakum joints look messy sometimes... may even have an oily residue around the joints... but that does not make it a leak!

If you need to repack joints can use packing irons (inside and outside caulking irons) but be VERY careful as you can overpack the lead and CRACK THE HUB of the cast iron pipe... see picture.

Be especially careful at any joints near the foundation... in fact, I would call a professional plumber in to repack these joints if they are anywhere near the foundation! One mistake at the foundation pipe could mean that you are digging up the pipe UNDER the foundation and in the front yard...so think about that before proceeding!!

Anyway, let us know what you think...

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banging soil stack [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently had a bathroom updated and have noticed a banging in the waste lines after flushing the toilet. Its not related to the supply lines, it is in relation to the waste moving down the stack. The floor is closed up and access is not good to these lines. Is there anythign I can do to...

Soil stack snapper, [ 2 Answers ]

I have rented a RIGID chain cutting tool to cut my soil stack, I'm just not sure if I should use it like a tubing cutter or simply keep tightening till something gives. (as the name soil stack snapper, implys)?

Soil pipe from slab to pvc flange .How to seal ? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know what to seal the Pvc soil pipe with. I have a few pics to explain . We got a new toilet to replace the 1986 one that came with the house 10 years ago. We got a shock when we removed the old toilet last night ! Small roots growing under it ! It looks like who ever did the install in...

Crack in soil stack [ 4 Answers ]

The main soil stack in my 40+ year old two story home has developed small crack. I have seen evidence of a very small amount of leakage in my basement over the past few years, but it was never bad enough to goo cutting into the walls to find the source. Finally it has gotten bad enough that it had...

View more questions Search