Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prairie son Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Jun 17, 2008, 04:09 AM
    Cooking ground meat
    :confused: Could some one tell me the proper way to cook ground meat for say Hamburger Helper or for use in Mexican food? I have a slight disagreement with a family member about this.
    Thanks, Prairie Son:cool:
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 04:29 AM
    Don't know if this is proper, but I usually thaw it if frozen, break it up and place in my cast iron frying pan, and cook on medium heat until thoroughly browned, stirring all the while. For mexican dishes (tacos!), I will chop it up finer before/during cooking.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 09:19 AM
    What was the dispute?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2008, 09:23 AM
    I cook until the meat is no longer pink and the jucie is clear.
    I thaw in bottom of frig...
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 17, 2008, 09:28 AM
    You can cook a frozen pound of ground beef in the microwave in 12 minutes on high, breaking up and stirring after every 5 minutes. Once you add the Mexican spices you can't tell the difference
    prairie son Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Jun 18, 2008, 04:31 AM
    The dispute is about adding water during cooking... my sister-in-law always adds water during cooking which leaves the meat watery and tastless. Says she's always done it. My wife never did such a thing.
    Thanks to every body
    Prairie Son

Jun 18, 2008, 06:37 AM
    You would only need water and long low temp like in a crockpot to cook a tough cut of meat. The grinding takes care of that for you so no need
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 21, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by prairie son
    The dispute is about adding water during cooking.....my sister-in-law always adds water during cooking which leaves the meat watery and tastless. Says she's always done it. My wife never did such a thing.
    Thanks to every body
    Prairie Son
    Just a question for you. Is your sister-in-law from the UK? My ex was, and always used to do this with hamburger, and it made me crazy! The ground beef had no taste. I also marinated other meats and poultry. I would use variations of the usual, oil/acid/spices. He thought a marinade meant he had to put the meat in a big bath, and would fill the bowl or pan that I used to marinate, all the way to the top with water! That just takes away all of the good juices and flavour. Also, everything had to be very overcooked. :rolleyes: He said this was the way his mother had always done it! No wonder he was such a bland man, lol.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 02:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8
    Just a question for you. Is your sister-in-law from the UK? My ex was, and always used to do this with hamburger, and it made me crazy! The ground beef had no taste. I also marinated other meats and poultry. I would use variations of the usual, oil/acid/spices. He thought a marinade meant he had to put the meat in a big bath, and would fill the bowl or pan that I used to marinate, all the way to the top with water!! That just takes away all of the good juices and flavour. Also, everything had to be very overcooked. :rolleyes: He said this was the way his mother had always done it! No wonder he was such a bland man, lol.
    That's a hell of a generalisation there Starbuck8 go careful us brits might cook you instead ;)

There is no rule book anywhere that says you have to cook meat a certain way, you cook it to your taste and how you require it.
    Mince meat (ground beef) for me is fried off with no extra fat as its pretty much always full of crap anyway then I drain away the fatty liquid and add it to what ever I'm cooking like chili.

Jun 23, 2008, 09:13 AM
    I see this a lot in older cookbooks I always look through old books at yard sales. People cooked the tar out of everything back in the old days, I guess they didn't have teeth to chew things, what with all the stone ground, gritty flour, and no fluoride in their water etc.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 23, 2008, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybenswife
    Thats a hell of a generalisation there Starbuck8 go carefull us brits might cook you instead ;)

There is no rule book anywhere that says you have to cook meat a certain way, you cook it to your taste and how you require it.
    Mince meat (ground beef) for me is fried off with no extra fat as its pretty much always full of crap anyway then i drain away the fatty liquid and add it to what ever im cooking like chilli.
    My ex would probably add water to me too! :eek: I know not all of the Brits cook that way at all, my ex sis-in-law is a great cook! My ex definitely needed a crash course on how to cook a meal without making it taste like shoe leather! ;)
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 01:50 AM
    Some women and men come to that just like really bland food sad really there loss though isn't it.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 24, 2008, 01:55 AM
    I don't know what my ex would've done, if he ever put something tasty in his mouth and found out he enjoyed it. He'd probably drop dead! Well now there's a thought! LOL! Do you think a big pot of spicy chili on his door step might do the trick? ;)
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 02:07 AM
    I just had the most naughty thought ever my minds in the gutter obviously ;)
    "Gets back under her rock before she gets struck down"
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 24, 2008, 02:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybenswife
    I just had the most naughty thought ever my minds in the gutter obviously ;)
    "Gets back under her rock before she gets struck down"
    Oh thanks for making me go there now too! HAHAHAHA!

I had to read back what I wrote... Oh God... It's late here! LOL!. too funny!

Did I really say that... yeah guess I did! I got to get out more! LMAO

Open mouth... insert foot!
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 02:34 AM
    It really wasn't your foot I was thinking about bad bad bad me lol
    You're a bad person bad bad bad person leeding me astray like that giggle
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 24, 2008, 02:42 AM
    Poor guy just wanted to know about cooking hamburger, and now look what we've done. We've taken culinary arts to a new level! ;)

I degress, sometimes meat is just fine with a little water! In fact, it might even add to it's taste, and make it more plump and juicy!

Did I mention I need sleep? LOL!
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 02:45 AM
    Yeah you need something lady plump and juicy indeed no go to your room.

Only time you will catch me adding liquid is in the form of stock ;)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 24, 2008, 02:47 AM
    Stock? Livestock? LMAO!

Now we're back to hamburger! We just came full circle!
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 02:52 AM
    I knew I was getting dizzy...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re-Freeze Meat? [ 3 Answers ]

Why aren't you suppose to re-freeze meat that been frozen, thawed? What happens? If you cook it, what's the big deal?

How do you know if you have meat the one [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the guy that I can spend mylife with, someone that will treat me like a lady, respect me, love me 4 who I am and not take me for granted. Someone that if he does not see me, he just want to call or jump on the next bus that is availabele, someone that I can love and would love me...

Old meat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello cookers: If you have some hamburger that's laid around for a close to a week, and then you cook it, does the time start over again? excon

My dog will not eat anything but any type of meat what can I feed her besides meat? [ 2 Answers ]

My dog,Sheba,will not eat anything but meat.I know why she won't but how do I get her to eat dog food again?Sheba is nine years old and she has some arthritis and I put an arthritis pill,that my veternarian gave me, in her dog food a couple weeks ago and now she won't eat her dog food because the...

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

View more questions Search