Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevking Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2006, 11:58 PM
    About UGMA account
    Hi,

I set up a UGMA (Uniform Gift Minor act) account for my son (who is 12 now) 5 years ago. I wanted to take some money out from this account for him to use.
    Is there any rule when to take out money from UGMA account? If my son attended a summer school with $1000 fee last summer, can I take $1000 now and treat it as it was used for last summer? Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2006, 08:47 PM
    Under most circumstances, the custodian will disburse you a check without question. However, if an auditor questions the disbursement, you must be able to prove the money was spent for your son's benefit.

The fact that you withdrew the money a year later does not matter, so ask for the money.
    stevking Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2006, 08:51 AM
    Thank you, Atlanta Tax Expert. I will do that soon.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2006, 10:06 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treasury account [ 12 Answers ]

Does anyone know what your treasury account is? What information do you have on this subject. Thanks.

Uniform Gift to Minors Act (UGMA) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi: I want to invest my children's UGMA money in a piece of realestate. The verbiage I read clearly states the acceptability of financial vehicles, and also "property." I'm fairly certain that realestate is permissible, but I'm unable to find any language to prove this. Does anyone know anything...

Can I close one account? [ 5 Answers ]

I have 2 retirement 401k accounts. (one of my companies was bought out by the other)I would like to close 1 of them out and put the money into a down on property in which to live. How much in penalties will this cost me % wise.

Prepaid Account [ 1 Answers ]

Company A is sending a check to Company B(manufacturing company) each month as a prepay to cover expenses. On the books of Company B upon receiving the check from Company A, the check would be recorded as a debit to cash and a credit to what? What type of prepaid account should be set up? Once...

View more questions Search