Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Jun 3, 2009, 09:11 PM

My neighbors are nuts too, so I can relate! The cops are no help at first they just don't want to be bothered with either of them. The only thing I was told to do was takw movies and ignore them as best as possible. Eep records of all things that happen, get police reports. Keep track! If the police go to their house no matter what for if it involves your friend get a report. The police have to give it to you it's public info. They may block out some stuff, but that's OK, you will still have the date, or later to use. If needed. Call the cops for everything she does to your friend. Cops will get mad, Tape them if you have too. But keep records. It took use about 3 years before they trully figured out who the real was. And it wasn't. They are still causing problems but the cops no where the problem is! Thank God! Good Luck!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 08:21 AM

Are you A or B or is this truly about a neighbor?

There is no way of knowing the penalty without knowing the State, extent of injuries, previous record.

Obviously avoiding each other is a good idea. Otherwise your neighbor should not even be near the combative neighbor without a third party (witness).
    gmjm56 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jun 4, 2009, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Are you A or B or is this truly about a neighbor?

There is no way of knowing the penalty without knowing the State, extent of injuries, previous record.

Obviously avoiding each other is a good idea. Otherwise your neighbor should not even be near the combative neighbor without a third party (witness).

I am neither. I live on the block; my friend is the one who was assaulted. We live in the state of NY. My neighbor was hit in the face and according to her doctor, has "contusions" and "lacerations" about the neck and face area. The neighbor who was hit, I have known for over 20 years. She has no record. The neighbor who did the hitting MAY have a record given the amount of bragging she has done about driving while under the influence. However, I have no definite way of knowing if it's truth or fiction. It is not so easy to avoid this person given the fact that she lives directly across the street. My friend does everything in her power since the beating on her to avoid her. However, this woman seems to seek her out. For instance, yesterday, knowing that there is now an order of protection in my friend's possession, she loudly yelled obscenities at her from across the street. Since my friend was told by the police to let them know if she does "anything" further to her, she called the police immediately. She was then told by the PO that if they received another call of complaint from my friend, they would arrest her before the week was out. I am worried about my friend since she is a widow with two children and this person lives in proximity. Apparently, the neighbor who hit her has no fear of repercussion since she continues to provoke, high-fiving her friends that she beat up my friend. Any advice would be of service.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 12:07 PM

YIKES! Okay, now I've gathered my thoughts.

I see two options - continuing to call the Police while attempting to avoid the neighbor, and we all know how well that plan is working out; OR

Two - consulting with an Attorney. I have posted before that I had neighbors who were absolutely impossible, destructive, they assaulted a third neighbor, they were busy poisoning cats, they threatened everyone in the neighborhood. I retained an Attorney and he wrote them a letter. When that didn't cool things down, I actually sued them. Their homeowners insurance - and they were forced to submit the claim to the insurance company - gave them a very difficult time, ultimately cancelled their insurance, the neighbors all stood together against them - and they moved.

Sometimes you need legal intervention.

Jun 4, 2009, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    YIKES! Okay, now I've gathered my thoughts.

I see two options - continuing to call the Police while attempting to avoid the neighbor, and we all know how well that plan is working out; OR

two - consulting with an Attorney. I have posted before that I had neighbors who were absolutely impossible, destructive, they assaulted a third neighbor, they were busy poisoning cats, they threatened everyone in the neighborhood. I retained an Attorney and he wrote them a letter. When that didn't cool things down, I actually sued them. Their homeowners insurance - and they were forced to submit the claim to the insurance company - gave them a very difficult time, ultimately cancelled their insurance, the neighbors all stood together against them - and they moved.

Sometimes you need legal intervention.

Thank you so much for your reply!
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gmjm56 View Post
    Thank you so much for your reply!

Come back and let us know what happens. I always worry when a neighbor is as whacko as yours and feels she has little/nothing to lose.

Scary situation - your "widow" neighbor is very lucky to have you. My neighbors were afraid of our bad neighbor until I retained an Attorney. That gave everybody courage.

I know - try to figure people out!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 04:08 PM

Since she does have the protective order in place and the wacko continues the harassment if the harassment is documented with police reports have the neighbor retain an attorney and haul the offender into court and have the judge decide the punishment. Disobeying a protective order is taken quite seriously by the issuing judges.

Also, what for criminal charges was the offender charged with? They should be going to criminal court for the beating of the widow. Just because the one doing the punching is a woman does not mean that women can't go to jail for battery upon another woman.

Jun 4, 2009, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Since she does have the protective order in place and the wacko continues the harassment if the harassment is documented with police reports have the neighbor retain an attorney and haul the offender into court and have the judge decide the punishment. Disobeying a protective order is taken quite seriously by the issuing judges.

also, what for criminal charges was the offender charged with? They should be going to criminal court for the beating of the widow. Just because the one doing the punching is a woman does not mean that women can't go to jail for battery upon another woman.

She was charged with "harassment". In NY apparently, there would have to be severe injury in order for there to be assault and battery.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 4, 2009, 06:07 PM

Sounds like my neighbor, we get a fight or something all the time, had a stabbing on my door step last halloween.

But they call the police when ever they are harassed.

The punishment for the assult and harassment most likely not much if this is their first time,

The injured party can sue for any damges, doctor bills and more.

Jun 4, 2009, 10:40 PM

The police told me I couln't go outside when my neighbor was out. They will tell you anything to make you not call them, don't let that scare her. Keep calling, they can't arrest her for calling she has that order of protection. Allot of cops are nuts and they only can scare the sane person. Because that nut will always be a nut.
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 05:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by unluckynut View Post
    The police told me I couln't go outside when my neighbor was out. They will tell you anything to make you not call them, don't let that scare her. Keep calling, they can't arrest her for calling she has that order of protection. allot of cops are nuts and they only can scare the sane person. because that nut will always be a nut.

What are you talking about: "allot of cops are nuts and they only can scare the sane person. because that nut will always be a nut."

I realize you have a problem with the Police but that aside I have no idea what you just said.

Jun 5, 2009, 07:26 PM

What I meant was They are trying to stop coming to either house. They will tell your friend not to call because it soounds like she is the sane one. And they have no hope talking sense with the other one. Your friend should just ignore the other one. Even though she's not going to stop. Make sure she keeps records of all events even if it's with other people to prove that other girl is making trouble. Sorry you didn't understand, sometimes I think faster thenI type. Getting old I guess!

Jul 30, 2009, 11:09 AM
    Judy KayTee
    Hi--I'm sorry to bother you, but I would be extremely grateful if you could give me some advice. I wrote a while back that my neighbor was beaten up by another neighbor. The neighbor who was beaten obtained an order of protection. To date, the assailant has violated the order 4 times and has been arrested 4 times. Yesterday was her arraignment. She came to court with an atty and is fighting the charges against her which are harassment and contempt of court. The case was postponed until August 27. My neighbor and I live in fear of this woman because she has NO fear of repercussion. If the Judge gives her a tap on the wrist for her actions, it's as if he's telling her to go out and do it again. I was wondering if you knew what is the least punishment she could receive for the beating she gave my friend and the continued verbal assault after being served with the OOP. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 11:16 AM

I'm not JKT but I am sure she will still chime in for you.

But the least possible punishment? I would have to say that would be nothing at all. She could get off scott-free. Guilty people have walked away free from many o' court rooms...
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 01:26 PM

I wish I knew what the least (and the most) "punishment" should could get is - I have absolutely no idea. It sounds like she's walking all over you, the neighbor and the Police right now.

Have you considered retaining an Attorney? There is also the possibility of you filing a suit for intentional inflection of emotional distress.

I wish I had a magical answer for you or some insight but I really don't.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 01:29 PM

I agree police often don't want to deal with confrontation between neighbors or family so they just give replies like that. Then you do have to take it to the next level like court.
    I often hear police say ''If we have to come back we are going to arrest both of you' even when the other party is totally innocent.

Jul 30, 2009, 03:06 PM

Just so that no one doubts my word about the crazy people on my block, I was just leaving the neighbor's house that was assaulted, the woman who beat her up was watching from her car as I walked back home and as she drove down the street, she got alarmingly close to me.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 03:09 PM

You need to get all the witnesses you can and get to court over this.

I believe you because I have had crazy neighbors in my life but none that threatened me, at least not like this severe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harassment - again! [ 9 Answers ]

I am attempting to locate the server in a matter involving internet threats and harassment - Scott posted some good advice and I went to that site but I am such a computer novice that I am totally lost. Does anyone have a source, an expert, who does this sort of checking? I believe they are...

Harassment At Work [ 28 Answers ]

I have worked in a dentist office for 5 years. I have grown attached to my patients and most of the people I work with. It isa small practice, about 12 employees. There is a male that I work with who is a bully, lazy, and degrading to women. I have documented incidents with him getting in my...

I think its harassment [ 3 Answers ]

Here's the thing, I have been getting e-mails from my ex about her wanting to get back together with me, even though I told her I already had a girlfriend. She ignored that, and consistently sends me notes, e-mail, e-mails pictures of her"self" if you know what I mean, and the other day, she even...

Neighbor harassment [ 2 Answers ]

I have a neighbor who is an adult and has three minor teenage daughters. Her youngest daughter is fourteen. I have a daughter who is thirteen and has epilepsy. The neighbors daughter is constantly threatening and harassing my daughter. The moment she walks outside to play with her friends she is...

Sexual harassment [ 1 Answers ]

I have worked for my employer over 3 months now and I am tired of the sexual harassment that I get from a couple of employees.It is affecting my job and I really don't like working there any more but I am kind of stuck.If I left,it would be very hard for them to replace me.Should I file charges...

View more questions Search