Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NanaYaa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Being sued for rent not on lease
    I moved into my friend's apartment in September 2006 in place of her roommate who was moving out. My name was never on the lease. I paid the previous roommate her half of the security back under the conditions that when myself and the present roommate moved out I would get my security back. It was understood that we would reside there until the end of May, 2008 which would have been the duration of the rental agreement. On May 2nd, I received an email from my roommate stating that she and her boyfriend would be taking over the lease as of May 1st and would be doing a month to month until their new place was ready. I told her that "our lease" didn't end until May 31st and that I paid May's rent already. I explained that I would like to split the rent three ways because it was only right being that there would be three persons residing in the apt in the month of May. I also stated that I would like my portion of the security I paid back being that someone else was taking over the apartment. She never acknowledged reimbursing me my portion of the rent. I chose to make a stop payment on my May rent check being that I didn't agree to a third party residing in the apt, nor was I being compensated fairly. She also stated she has nothing to do with the security therefore wasn't giving my portion back to me although someone else was taking my place. She is now suing me in small claims court for May's rent plus late fees. Being that I'm not on the lease nor did I have any written agreement, does she have a case?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 06:01 PM
    You're responsible for the rent until the date you moved out, so she has a case for that. However she is responsible for refunding your share of the security deposit. Make sure you file a counterclaim for the security.
    serendipity2005 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 11:32 AM
    If you already paid her that rent for may you should have a copy of the emails stating she was moving in and such AND a copy of your rent check.
    She may be suing you but file a counterclaim if you paid the deposit in a check.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 17, 2008, 11:42 AM
    As Lisa pointed out you are responsible for the rent until you move out. But in addition to counter suing for the deposit, you should counter sue for a reduction in the rental because of a third roommate having moved in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Commercial lease - being sued for old rent [ 9 Answers ]

I will try to keep this very short. My wife's Michigan business recently closed and moved out of the facility - with proper notice to LL. She was off-lease - it had expired months before so it was a month-to-month arrangement. BTW, the business is incorporated. Several months after closing we...

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

Being sued for rent almost 2yrs later [ 1 Answers ]

I made a verbal agreement with my best friends mom of 15 yrs to rent a room for 150.00 a month. At that time I was a full time student and single mom. The verbal agreement was that I would pay 150 a month or help with her home and children. I helped over and above. The last few months I didn't...

View more questions Search