Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurie5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Is my child elligible for deceased fathers social security?
    Hello everyone.I have a question that so far I have been given many conflicting answers to.A little background information,my sons father passed away,he wasn't listed as father on the birth certificate and we never had a paternity test done.I don't believe he would qualify to get survivors social security from his dad,am I right?His family knows he's the father and I have cards and things he's written my son.Do I have to prove paternity,even if his parents state it's his child.I never pushed it because he would help if I needed it and it just didn't seem necessary.
    If he doesn't qualify for social security,is there anything else he would qualify for.When I signed up for food stamps along time ago they asked for the fathers name,which I gave,but told them not to pursue child support.Would he qualify through them for any kind of financial support without having a paternity test.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    purplewings Posts: 145, Reputation: 24

Jun 16, 2008, 02:56 PM
    The people who work for Social Security are very pleasant and eager to serve. Just call the closest office to you and ask them what you would need to do to qualify your child for his deceased father's social security. Be certain to explain you have nothing to prove he is the father so they understand the problem and may better know how to direct you. Good luck!
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 16, 2008, 03:04 PM
    The Social Security office will try to help you all right. The problem as I see it isn't with the issue of paternity but rather dependency. Under aged dependents are eligible for benefits from a deceased provider. Since the child was never a dependent of the father it may not be eligible. However, the Social Security Office is the only place for reliable information. Most people have no idea what the rules are or how they apply. Good luck.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Ok. One thing you can do is prove paternity of your child is if your on good terms with the fathers parents or siblings then they could participate in a DNA study to prove parentage. At least there is hope of your child getting surviviors benefits if it can be proven by way of the leters etc that you have as well as DNA. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support and social security disability [ 7 Answers ]

My ex said he is trying to get on disability so that he doesn't have to pay child support. Is this true? We live in PA

Social Security Disability? And a child [ 5 Answers ]

My husband was married 12 years ago , and got a divorce. The mother of his son they had, remarried four years ago. My husband fell ill and almost died from diebeities complications. During this time recoporating he than went on SSD for Mental Illness,bi-polar. His ex wife took him to court and...

Social security and child support [ 4 Answers ]

How do you get child support agency to stop garnishing a social security check when the debt has been paid in full many times over

VA child support and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying find out if the state of VA can garnish social security and/or SSI for back child support. I understand some states do and some can't, can Virginia?

Can Child support garnish my social security and ssi [ 1 Answers ]

Child support started to garnish my disability checks, can they do that

View more questions Search