Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chadrish333 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Making computer faster
    This is quite long, but I am trying to be as specific as possible to get the proper replies.
    I have a few questions about this subject, so please bear with me... I want my computer to run faster: download faster, boot up faster, not bog down with a few programs running & generally perform better.
    My computer is a 4-5 year old Dell Dimension 2400 desktop & have changed nothing to it. Some people have said it needs more memory (is that RAM)? Or do I need a faster processor (is that even a possibility to add)?
    My internet provider (Comcast high-speed internet) claims it runs 6 megs of DL speed (not sure how that translates to me) told me my computer may not be able to handle that fast of a speed?? Im lost! I have even been told it may be Limewire slowing it down.
    I recently called Dell and had them assist me in resetting computer to factory settings thinking that may help to no avail... still lags a ton.
    I would maybe like to add a DVD burner & possibly a bigger, flat screen monitor if I can afford it.
    I can't spend a whole lot, maybe a few hundred dollars. Is it worth the time, effort & money to try an upgrade a older computer? Or should I suck it up & save till I can afford a new one? I've looked & it seems one that has all the bells & whistles will be around $1,000. I have even thought about a Mac. Many people say they run perfectly, but I don't know much else about them.
    I would truly appreciate ANYone's sincere & knowledgeable answers. I am just tired of hearing a different story from every different person I ask. I need help!
    Please try to respond as if I were a 3rd grader. I thank you in advance!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 03:18 PM
    Your questions are too many for one thread. Pick one thing at a time and work on it. What do you want to do first? Upgrade some components or tweak the existing system to run optimally?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2008, 05:02 PM
    First comment I want to make is that you simply are going to get "different stories" from different people. Computers can be complex, you don't always know what's going on, people are many times just guessing. But the "guessing" can be educated guesses, based on experience. But still a guess nonetheless. I could ask two knowledgeable, totally geeky people the same question and get two different answers. They might even both be right. So if you want to ask computer questions, you just have to deal with getting different answers. Although more detailed information does help so people know what you're talking about.

Moving on...

I don't know anything about Limewire, but from what JB is describing, that could be a huge issue right there.

Mostly I wanted to say is that I have a Dell Dimension 4550. It's a bit higher level than yours, but when I was looking at them, the biggest difference I noticed was more in size (literally, I mean the tower) and upgradability. For instance, that I have an extra slot to put a second hard drive and I suspect you don't. But if I recall correctly, the CPU speed and memory were at least close, if not exactly the same. Mine came with 128 RAM (yes, that's the memory), which is paltry and barely enough for Windows to run, let alone anything else. So I did add memory first thing. If yours came with little memory, this could be causing you a lot of problems. (Can't know for sure cause Dell's always running upgrade specials and who knows what you really got in the end.)

Under the Start Menu, go to the Help & Support, then click on Computer Information. (I'm just assuming you have this also.) It will tell you the RAM and the processor speed. It will also give you the tag number. I think I can still get into Dell and enter that tag number and get your info. (I'm pretty sure I've done that with a computer that wasn't mine and didn't have to log in or anything.) Go in there and give us that information. If we know that, it would help.

I'd also suggest dumping the LimeWire. But even if that's what is bogging things down, there's still a possibility that a memory upgrade would be a good idea. Deal with one thing at a time. Then worry about your other upgrades you want to do.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2008, 05:07 PM
    P.S. Also go into My Computer and right-click on the C drive. Then go into properties and see how much free space it's telling you that you have. That info may or may not come in handy.

Jun 16, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Thank you very much morgaine300. That is all I was asking for. I appreciate it.

As far as the "rocket scientist" goes. It seems as you may have been more angry about my question as opposed to offering a answer, what is specifiaclly what I asked NOT to get. My question was what it was... albeit, LONG. That is why I prefaced the entire question with that in mind. I read a few posts here & it seems that many times a question gets asked & the #1 response is "please give more details". So I did... bite my head off.
    My suggestion is to stick to your rockets... they don't talk back!
    Software Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Hehe, OK. No harm, no foul.

Oh, and no anger either. I meant my question. I had 15 different answers to your broad questions, 18 years as a computer tech will do that for you. Half involve fiddling with the system as is, the other half cost something. It was a legitimate question. I really wanted to know so I could help you the way you wanted and not waste your time.

Sorry you couldn't tell. Good luck to you, though.

Jun 16, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Oohh J..
    Now I feel like a jerk! I am sorry for reading you completely wrong. I guess I am just overwhelmed & frustrated by this computer that I am too edgy.
    I guess the main question should be is a 4-5 year old computer worth a few hundred dollars in upgrades (will it make the difference Im looking for, which is a quicker responding computer) or is it better to save & buy a new one.
    Again, I apologize... slow computers make me act like a jerk & not knowing how to fix something makes it worse - lol.
    P.S. I have Lime Wire set not to share any of my files, but I do notice computer is slower even just by having it open.
    Software Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Hehe, again, no worries, I know how hard it is to read "tone" into text on a screen. This is why I caution so many people over in the "relationships forums" to not use text messages as their mode of IMPORTANT communication... but that's another discussion.

In this day and age, I can make a perfect argument to invest some cash OR get a new one. I really can. It's sad. That's why I think your solution may be to simply optimize the system and how you use it first, THEN look at maybe maxxing the memory.

There are a couple of little XP registry tweaks I've used to make my systems do some things faster, too, but we'll look at those last.

The first thing you want to do is stop all those background programs from running that you don't need every time you turn on your computer.

Click on START > RUN
    Type msconfig and press ENTER
    Click on STARTUP

Everything listed here with a checkmark represents a program/utility that runs itself all the time in the background. I turn off almost everything, but we can discuss what you find here, if you'd like.

How to decide?
    Widen the "command" column so you can see the full pathname of the programs and you will almost always be able to figure out what it does.

For instance:
    • When I first installed Adobe Acrobat Reader so I could read PDF files, it added in a check here to an update utility, I turned it off.
    • Itunes put in a "helper" program, I disabled that.
    • Quicktime, disabled
    • RealPlayer, disabled
    • My laptop came with a LOT of preloaded software. I uninstalled over half of it. What was left I unchecked the self-loading pieces here.
    • igfxpers & igfxtray I didn't need. You have to decide for yourself

You get the idea. Some things in here CAN'T be turned off this way. For instance if you try to stop MSMessenger from loading itself this way, it just reenables itself. You have to actually start Messenger and disable the "load at startup" flag within the program. Ugh.

Give this a shot. List items here you aren't sure about and we can talk about them. Remember, disabling startup items hardly ever stops those programs from working when you need them. There are some rare exceptions, we'll see what happens.

LimeWire shouldn't be running on your computer, ever, unless you are using it at that moment. Programs like that slog your computer even when doing nothing. You shouldn't allow it. (no LimeWire attitude here, I'm all about performance.)
    Software Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Research
    ==============
    DELL DIMENSION 2400

Maximum Memory: 2 GB (Expansion: 2 Sockets)

Memory types this system supports
    PC2100 DDR SDRAM DIMMs (400MHz FSB)
    PC2700 DDR SDRAM DIMMs (533MHz FSB)

Comments
    400MHz FSB (front side bus) systems come standard with DDR 266 (KTD4400/xx).
    533MHz FSB (front side bus) systems come standard with DDR 333 (KTD4550/xx).

====================
    You could do wonders for your system by upgrading the RAM.

Can you open the case and see if BOTH memory slots are used? If you have 512mb of RAM but only 1 slot is used, you can just buy another chip.

It would help to know how fast that one chip is, but the second chip will downshift to the speed of your old.

Anyway, the fastest memory your system uses in only $40 per gig, so $80 would completely replace your existing memory, but if you have a slot open, then one chip would get you almost as far.

Jun 17, 2008, 01:59 PM
    JBeaucaire,
    You've been great. I have a neighbor that is good with computers. I am going to take your advice along with his help & get it going. I like the sound of $40-$80. That I can do & it sounds like that will do the trick. I printed out your previous suggestion and Im going to do that before I get into the rest, but I will probably do both.
    Thank you very much for your help!
    Software Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 03:24 PM
    Great. I found that inexpensive price on memory at NewEgg.com, or you can try OEMPCWorld.com

Don't buy memory locally unless you have $$ to burn.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jun 17, 2008, 03:36 PM
    What operating system do you have installed and how much memory do you have installed.

Windows XP and Windows 2000 (could be either based on the age of your computer) love lots of memory. One GB would be a minimum and two GB would be much better.

Look on the bottom of your laptop and reply with the Service Tag. I have a Dell Premier logon that I can use with my Dell Technician ID. It gets me direct to some good information that I can lookup.
    Software Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 03:44 PM
    Feel free to shoot me an email (click on my name off to the left - JBeaucaire).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making your hair grow faster [ 10 Answers ]

Anyone know any ways/tips to make my hair grow faster? I'm trying to grow out my hair colour. Thanks :] xox

AOL making my computer reboot [ 17 Answers ]

Ok, this has been going on since February. I have AOL open all the time while I'm at work. I'm also usually running quickbooks 08, and other various documents. It doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all! Other times it happens as many as 6 times a day. I will go to click on...

What's faster? [ 6 Answers ]

What is faster? A scion tC or a honda civic hybrid? Thanks!

Which CPU is faster? [ 9 Answers ]

Pentium 4 571 (3.8GHz), 64-bit, Prescott, FSB800, L2 Cache 1MB -OR- Pentium D 950 (3.4GHz ,95w), 65nm, Presler, Dual Core, FSB800, L2 Cache 2x2MB Both are compatible with my Motherboard... I have the first one listed. I was just curious if I would gain "SPEED" if purchasing the Pentium D.

View more questions Search