Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whitetail Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Intermatic P1353 3-Circuit Timer
    I am replacing my old Intermatic mechanical time clocks with the digital P1352 Timer. It has three separate circuits. It is a 120/240volt unit. The old timers had Line 1, Line 2 and load 1 and Load 2 blocks. The new timer has three separate Line 1 and Load 1 bolcks - NO Line 2 or Load 2 blocks. The wiring diagram shows Line 1 and Load 1 mounting locations in the new timer and shows the line 2 wired directly to the pump. This will keep the pump energized at 120v constantly. I have a dual pole switch at the location so I can switch it off for servicing but I don't like the idea of not switching Line 2.

Has anyone wired one of these in and what can you share with me. My electrician said it was no problem to keep it energized with Line 2. At the very minimum, I would want to label the pumps as engergized for the next guy.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2008, 01:52 PM
    I would tend to agree with the electrician. As long as both sides of the 240 breaker trip in an overload condition and there is a dual pole disconnect near the pump, your fine.

Labeling "L2 energized at all times unless disconnect is off" would not hurt.

You can always add a relay and switch both sides.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Via PM:

Quote Originally Posted by whitetail
    Thanks for the reply.

I am interseted in the relay switch set-up. Can you describe it?
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2008, 09:03 PM
    What is the HP rating of the pump? Pool application? Did you get any enclosure and/or a breaker base?

I used the general term relay, whereas motors typically use motor starters which incorporate things called "overloads" or are electronically setable. They provide motor protection because they allow large start up currents. Sometimes these motor control centers have on/off/hand.

Contactors handle large inductive loads.

Took me a while to find the sales brochure for the timer. Basically you have a set of power terminals that need to be energized at all times and 3 isolated switches with a bunch of "modes".

Get back to me with the answers I require and I'll sleep on it tonight.
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 08:38 AM
    This is a contactor:

CE15AN4AB Products

Here is a typical "motor starter" for a maximum of 7 full load amps.
    AE16ANS0AC Products

The "heaters" are purchased separately and selected by full load amps of the motor.

These are generally used to protect motors and contain an integral relay. There are solid state versions which are adjustable and many large manufactures combine this with:
    1. Case
    2. Disconnect
    3. Fuses rated for motor
    4. Low voltage transformer
    5. Overload relay
    6. Places for 3 buttons/switches
    7. Room for things like 3 phase protection

It's standard practice to use for a 3 phase motor. The solid state versions can protect against phase loss and phase reversal.
    You can mount three phase protection devices and/or undervoltage cutouts in the cabinets.

Your Intermatic thing contains 3 isolated switches and there is a connection for power all the time for the timing functions.
    Those isolated switches would be in series with a 120 V supply and the relay coil. The relay would have 3 poles to do as you see fit.

These contactors are generally called "definite purpose contactors" because they can switch large inductive or lighting loads without damage.

Questions?

Jun 17, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Wow - what great information. I will look through the information. As far as my application goes: This is a pool application; Main filter pump is 1.5HP; and booster pump for cleaner is 0.5HP.

Thanks again.
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 09:31 AM
    You'll need FLA (Full load amps) to size the contactors. 7A is out of range for the 1.5 HP motor.

EDIT:
    These are DIN rail mountable, I think. See the FAQ. This rail makes it easy to add terminal blocks etc. and make professional looking wiring. There are then only two holes to mount the rail. Parts just clip into place like a wiring erector set.

Jun 29, 2008, 08:01 AM
    All wired in - everything works fine. I used all the advice given and got into the wiring details with Intermatic. The new 3-circuit digital timer is VERY nice.

:) Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intermatic wall timer/switch [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to install one of those cool in wall programmable timer/switch but have a question. The switch I would like to replace controls 2-500watt halogen lights, 2-150watt incandescent flood bulbs, 60watt outside door light, and finally 2-150watt halogen lights which totals up to 1660watts. ...

Proper Wiring for Intermatic Timer [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced simple switch that consisted of a hot in and load out to the filter plug (while the remainder of the wires including ground go directly to the plug) with a double pole/single throw timer. The manual switch works, but the actual timer has no power. I simply took the live wire and...

How to select an Intermatic Pool Pump Timer? [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't been able to source a distributor or retailer of Intermatic Pool Timer products in Ontario, Canada. I am looking to purchase one over the internet and have it shipped to me and installed by a local qualified electrician, but I don't know which model to purchase. Intermatic has 4...

Freeze Detector for Intermatic Pool Timer [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to wire a freeze detector into a intermatice dual timer control system?

How to wire 4 outlets to 1 INTERMATIC T101 SPST timer [ 1 Answers ]

I am new "Electrican". I did follow the instruction to out 1 set of 4 wires together in 1 INTERMATIC T101 40AMP 2 HP 120V timer, but the timer does not work. While all 4 swtiches for 4 set of lighting work fine. So single pole Times only can handles 1 wire of lighting, or whatever you can put...

View more questions Search