Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    big scotts Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 12:17 PM
    1996 chevy timing
    I have a 1996 chevy with the 4.3L vortec engine and I believe that the timing has jumped. Is there a way that I can manually reset the timing myself instead of putting it in the repair shop?
    ddollinger Posts: 145, Reputation: 12

Jun 16, 2008, 12:42 PM
    No. You will notice that the plate on the distributor is not like the traditional old school distributors with a slot to adjust the timing, it simply has a bolt hole (i.e. non adjustable). The timing is controlled by the ECU. The only thing that can change your timing is for your timing chain to have jumped a tooth on your timing sprocket. In short the timing chain is worn out and needs to be changed immediately. I can't remember if the Vortec is an interference engine or not, but if it is and you jump the timing chain far enough or break the chain you are in for a world of hurt when the valves go through your piston crowns. Once you change the chain according to the factory manual that will have set the static timing to factory standards and the ECU takes over from there advancing and retarding as needed while the engine is running.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1996 4.3L chevy engine smokes and misfires [ 4 Answers ]

It starts very good and runs fine, then the check engine light comes on and starts to flash on and off, then puffs of smoke start to come out of the muffler, then a big spark, it looses it's speed and power, it does it for a while, then it stopes smoking and takes of like a bat out of hell and all...

1978 Chevy pickup ignition timing [ 2 Answers ]

What is the recommended ignition timing for a 1978 Chevy pickup w/a 350 motor?

'90 Chevy 1/2 Ton Timing Adjustment [ 1 Answers ]

What is the correct degree for the timing on a 1990 Chevy K-Series 1/2ton p/u with 5.7L (4WD, automatic) and is there anything special I should know about setting this? How do I stop the advance to set the timing? Thanks.

Timing on 1996 MGC pick up V6 with vortek engine [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced the heads in my pick up and I've been trying to set up the timing chain with the balance shaft gears and distributor and my truck still will not start. I believe my problem is getting the distributor lined up - I'd appreciate any help I can get. I've spent hours working on this. ...

1996 Chevy Lumina ?'s [ 3 Answers ]

So let me start by saying this... I don't know anything about cars, this is why I'm here. I'm a single mom who doesn't want to be given the run around! Ive had my car for about 2 years and it seems about every 3-4 months my service engine soon light comes on and my car drives really rough and...

View more questions Search