Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tonyac Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2006, 04:33 PM
    Toilet back up
    Sometimes our toilet backs up for no real apparent reason. Not much toilet paper, etc. We flush and it will overflow. Is there a product I can flush in my toilet to eat away at residue to help the pipes? My house was built in 1957 and I don't think the plumbing has had much upgrading.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 13, 2006, 10:21 PM
    Sounds like something was dropped in the toilet and was flushed but did not go down the pipe. It could be acting as a valve sometime while allowing the toilet to flush normally at other times. I always called these types of blockages floaters. You might try to use a toilet snake to see if you can break up what ever might be in there or remove the toilet to see what you can see.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 14, 2006, 06:23 AM
    Tony,

The tool HVAC mentioned, (toilet snake) is called a Closet Auger. This tool will retrive anything that's caught in the trap of the bowl. You may purchase them at any hardware store. If you need further help click on back. Regards, Tom
    Tonyac Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2006, 10:47 AM
    Thank you very much! I will try that out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

Toilet ventilation [ 1 Answers ]

What is the proper way to vent a toilet. I have a two story house and the upstairs toilet was fine for ten years without a vent, but eventually it didn't flush properly. A vent pipe was installed, hoping to aid in flushing, but the problem was as simple as cleaning the little hole in the bottom...

Toilet [ 1 Answers ]

The toilet will not flush like it is supposed to, it will flush out solid but not paper. What makes the toilet flush?

Toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I think one of my children flushed something down the toilet. The only things I think it can be is either a bar of soap or a wash cloth. Now you have to plunge it every time you flush. Any suggestions on what I could do myself before I call a plumber?

Toilet Flush [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new bathroom in my basement. The toilet has a good flush action but just fills with water. It does not have the suction to flush a piece of tissue. The water evenutally seeps out to the correct level. I have tried two different toliets and wax rings but still have the...

View more questions Search